Author Topic: 91Onions - "dirty Gerty"  (Read 10441 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
91Onions - "dirty Gerty"
« on: 18 October 2012, 19:22 »
 :smiley:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline 91Onions

• Not said much yet
Re: 91Onions - "dirty Gerty"
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2012, 10:41 »
Cheers JV!
 Right, here goes! This is kind of a retrospect project as most of the work has already been done, but i'm sure other jobs will arise throughout the coming months.

The beginning: I was desperate for a mk2 after being scared half to death my my mates dad racing an evo on the way to castle combe as a youngun! So after trawling through ebay, autotrader, pistonhead etc. I managed to get my hands on an 89 8v more door for 230 notes! So, after a jaunt down to Cambridge I had myself a gti!

it was pretty tatty in alot of places, bird Sh!te had eaten some lacquer on the bonnet and roof, exhaust was corroded to a crazy extent, rank wheels, chopped springs, clocks didnt work, had a misfire, mk3 door handles which werent fitted properly, door cards were buggered, and more importantly a fair patch of corrosion behind where the front valance for the small bumper connected on one side. SO i made the decision to fit some big bumpers which will, im sure get me some negative comments from the small bumper faithful ;) lol. On the bright side, apart from the bonnet the paint was pretty damn good!

when we got it back to the yard it looked like this

And since then i have replaced the following:
Coilovers,
Big Bumpers,
Oil cooler,
All hoses (after a lovely break down from a split hose from the water pump halfway down to swansea! )
New spark plugs,
New cambelt and water pump,
new wheels are tyres,
new exhaust front to back,
new door handles and boot lock,
New arches, door trim and sill covers to match big bumpers,
Resprayed the bonnet,
Fibreglassed up the door cards,
Replaced the clocks and bulbs,
New headlight,
New rear light lenses,
New radio and speakers,
My oil cooler was leaking so had to replace that and flush the whole system about 5 times.
And probably various other things I cant recall!

Since then iv had a puzzling water leak but just replaced the flange on the front of the head where the temp sensors are so hopefully that will do the trick!

And that brings us to the present day!

Down at Blenheim Palace at the Mini and VW show :)

Offline 91Onions

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2012, 13:06 »
Im terrible at stopping to take pictures during jobs! Just done some tidying up over the past month including:
Rear wiper flat
Refurbing the lights and front grill
Sorting out corroded battery tray
Door handle Gaskets
Attempted to adjust the handbrake but someone had screwed it up before so a cable was stretched :(

Il try and get some photos up soon!

Next jobs include fitting the new jetex backbox, Respraying and texturing bumpers, new splitter, tappets, drivers side scraper seal and some sound proofing. Apologies for the lack of pictures!

Also, before I laid her up in the garage I seemed to have really damp rear drivers side carpet. Anyone have any ideas? Door membranes seem to be ok :/

Offline 91Onions

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2013, 19:47 »
She's home!!!!
Sold my A4 tdi, so have some money to tidy up the mk2 :D I had a day off uni yesterday and some time off today so got down to it! Well, actually accomplished close to sod all yesterday. Attempted to fit my new jetex backbox but had alignment issues with my current centre box. Went to install my head unit and had no luck, then found out my handbrake is only locking one wheel. YAY!

A job that had been really bugging me was the texture on the bumpers looked smooth and haggered. I'd read on other forums about special paints or getting a body shop to re texture bumpers but I decided to have a bash!

How it used to look. It was much smoother than it looks in the photo!

Got hold of some truck bed liner paint from Halfrauds

Gave it a quick key with a scotch brite pad and sprayed a couple of light coats and boom! Robert's your fathers brother! I'm pretty chuffed with the results considering people have suggested a full body shop job!

Does anyone know if jetex boxes are dedicated fit to other jetex silencers? I have a scorpion centre and the angles are all wrong? Reckon it would be best to just get someone to bend some pipe up for me?