Author Topic: Vagcom help required!!!!  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
Vagcom help required!!!!
« on: 11 October 2009, 13:39 »
Have recently purchased a Vagcom lead from E.Bay. Have downloaded the software to my laptop and it's all ready to go. After plugging it into the car and turning on the ignition the laptop recognises that it is there. I then perform the test and it runs for a short while and says com port ok interface not found. After going to the about section it says to test on a car first before using. The blue light is on inside the vagcom lead and the ignition is on but just can't pair the car to the laptop.  Am I missing something or doing something wrong????      Cheers     Deano

adamrob69

Re: Vagcom help required!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2009, 14:48 »
it means that whatever port you have selected is probably not the port your connected to.

When you have installed the driver for the USB lead, you need to tell it to use a com port between 1 and 4. Do this in the device manager under the properties for the USB lead driver (USB to Serial).

Then in the software in options select the com port number you are using and test

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2009, 17:30 »
Tried going through device manager and reinstalled drivers. Then it told me the device was working properly so tried again. After doing the original test it recognises the lead but will not connect. When I try anything it comes up with a code 5 and says that the interface is not connected. I have been trying this all day and am getting fed up with it now. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong???     

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2009, 17:46 »
Have just been reading on the Ross Tech website that some after market radios in the 1997 onwards cars can affect the working of the Vagcom.  Has anyone ever experienced this and if so how did you get round it??     Cheers     Deano

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2009, 18:06 »
Vista 64 bit at all?
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

adamrob69

« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2009, 19:13 »
there are drivers for windows xp and vista.  change it so it uses com1. Ensure no other programs are open that uses a com port. Double check in device manager. Select com1 option in vagcom. Fire engine up and click the test button. still no work then take the plug out, and push it back in loosely.

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2009, 19:51 »
Its running on XP and have installed drivers for the XP version. How do I change it to COM1. Is it on the test page as when I change this one it just says interface not connected. I did all this with the ignition on do I now need to start the engine????     Cheers for all the help but after reading other threads on here I am not alone in having "teething" problems.     Cheers     Deano

adamrob69

« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2009, 21:15 »
change com port by clicking start > right click on my computer icon then properties. Carnt quite remember but on one of the tabs in that dialog there is a device manager button click that. When the device manager opens scroll down to ports and expand. There should be a USB to serial connection in there and in brackets the com port it is attached to (eg. USB to Serial Converter (Com3)) right click on that and properties. on the port settings tab click advanced. in the advanced window there is an option where you can change the com port number (a drop down list). select com 1. If com1 is in use, then you will need to change the com port number of whatever device is using com1 using the same method! But as i said close all programs that may use a com port before you plug the lead in, such as bluetooth software, phone syncing software, Infra red devices, printers etc.

Once your lead is set to com1 open vag com and on the test or options page there is a selection in the top left where you select com 1, 2, 3 4 or USB. Select com1 and click test. If its working it will say port OK and interface found, or something similar.

You dont need the engine on, igntion should do, but i always have engine running because it will show active faults, and my imobiliser and alarm kicks in if ignition is on too long!

I have only ever go vag com working on com1 doesnt seem to work on any others for me :/

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2009, 08:39 »
Great stuff mate.  Even a guy who knows very little about computers can understand that. I will give it a try and let you know. Appreciate all your help.     Cheers     Dean

Offline whit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2010, 23:11 »
did u get it working mate as i have the same problems. i try the com port thing, try different usb ports but always get interface not found. i've tried various versions of vagcom, 311, 409, and the new vdcs lite.

i think my problem might be because i've got a serial cable and using a usb adaptor, anyone have experince of this?