Author Topic: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?  (Read 11759 times)

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?
« on: 08 January 2019, 14:53 »
My manual GTi PP is 5 years old tomorrow. How time flies. Just sailed through its MOT today with 32815 miles on the clock. I still very much love the car, it still looks amazing. Only the Austins are looking passed their best.

I've been drooling over the Mk7.5 DSG R for a couple of years now, fancying the Tumeric Yellow paint (notice it's no longer available on the VW configurator). I've found a used one on AutoTrader with the ultimate spec for me.... but do I spend the cash & make the jump? Or stick? Has anyone moved from a GTi to an R and found it was really worth it, or regretted it?

Pros: It's got a 0-60 of 4.4 secs
It's not everyones cup of tea, but Tumeric Yellow hits the sweet spot for me
The car on AT has the perfect spec - rare like hens teeth
I'll blooming well enjoy driving it and life is for living

Cons: It will cost more in fuel (98RON instead of 95RON)
It will cost more on the insurance
It's a thieve magnet - I'd worry every time I leave it parked up anywhere
The used R in question is a 3 hour drive away.
Do I really need it? Save the hard earned cash? Just get the Austins reconditioned instead?

Your experience & thoughts very much appreciated  :smiley:

2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2019, 14:58 »
Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it. Go for it, it's only money. Don't let distance put you off, I've flown down to Southampton before now from Leeds Bradford to buy a car.

The colour is very Marmite though but is good to be different. DO IT.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2019, 15:01 »
My manual GTi PP is 5 years old tomorrow. How time flies. Just sailed through its MOT today with 32815 miles on the clock. I still very much love the car, it still looks amazing. Only the Austins are looking passed their best.

I've been drooling over the Mk7.5 DSG R for a couple of years now, fancying the Tumeric Yellow paint (notice it's no longer available on the VW configurator). I've found a used one on AutoTrader with the ultimate spec for me.... but do I spend the cash & make the jump? Or stick? Has anyone moved from a GTi to an R and found it was really worth it, or regretted it?

Pros: It's got a 0-60 of 4.4 secs
It's not everyones cup of tea, but Tumeric Yellow hits the sweet spot for me
The car on AT has the perfect spec - rare like hens teeth
I'll blooming well enjoy driving it and life is for living

Cons: It will cost more in fuel (98RON instead of 95RON)
It will cost more on the insurance
It's a thieve magnet - I'd worry every time I leave it parked up anywhere
The used R in question is a 3 hour drive away.
Do I really need it? Save the hard earned cash? Just get the Austins reconditioned instead?

Your experience & thoughts very much appreciated  :smiley:

Think the R vs GTI debate has been really bashed on here recently and comes down to personal choice. Take one for a drive would be the best starting point.

Or.... What about spending a few quid on yours as sound a great low mileage car which you know the history of - some tasty new wheels (Borbet FF1 would be a good choice!), Racing line spring kit, a remap, res delete. It be like having a new car for an extra £2k not £20k....  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2019, 15:08 »
I went from a late 2013 GTI PP to late 2016 MK7 Golf R and have not regretted it for a second.  Both are great cars but for my personal taste the Golf R is all that I want for now and have not had an urge to look at any other car since purchasing it as it ticks all boxes.  I'd say if you have an itch you may need to scratch it. 

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2019, 15:15 »
Go for it, it's only a car, if after a year or two it's not for you then move on, simples :smiley:

I really like the yellow too, ideal with a sunroof and black Pretorias. Not sure if it'd be a popular colour come resale but so what!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2019, 16:43 »
Well, if you spend a lot of time trying to do 0-60 in 4.4 secs then a yellow R is a must(ard).

Aside from that, if you can afford it and like the look of the car then why the hell not?
Yeah, the R costs a little more to run but not stupidly more. The road tax might be a bit expensive on some of them if they have very high spec though.

The R is an amazing car, a step up from a GTI in certain areas. But the humble GTI still punches above its weight. If you fancy the change then the R is different enough to make it feel like a different car but similar enough to be familiar in all the important places.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2019, 16:51 »
Jesus, WTF are them seats in the black Clubsport  :sick:

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2019, 16:53 »
...And why is the white one missing the alcantara steering wheel?

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2019, 17:01 »
...And why is the white one missing the alcantara steering wheel?
They are ROI imports, so non UK spec and not 'numbered'.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.