Author Topic: GTI mk 7 under preforming  (Read 5193 times)

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
Re: GTI mk 7 under preforming
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2018, 17:32 »
Pedalbox= the way forward..they do work money well spent!
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2018, 19:19 »
Don't often venture on the Mk 7 threads as I still have my 2010 Mk 6. Interested in this thread. Found the throttle response on the MK 6 quite good until we acquired a Polo GTI (1.8 ). Wow what a difference! If some find the MK 7 throttle response poor then glad to wait and see what the MK8 brings.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2018, 13:47 »
'At times it goes as I feel it should, but it's very inconsistent'.  I would 100% agree with the OP on this, and it really surprised me when I got the car (and not in a good way).  I've driven my 67 plate Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual for 8 months/9k miles now and the throttle response is (for me) by far the biggest gripe/annoyance with the (otherwise excellent) car.  I bit the bullet and bought a pedalbox for the car a couple of months ago - I would whole-heartedly recommend one as it is an excellent bit of kit for very sensible outlay - however the truth is it hasn't 'fixed' the problem, it just masks it much, much better.  But it is crazy that the pedal response is so erratic and poor - am really hoping that the negative feedback makes it's way successfully to VW and that it is resolved on the Mk 8 GTI.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2018, 09:49 »
Almost certainly what you perceive as poor pedal response is a design feature to meet emissions targets.

That 100% won't get any better with the Mk8
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2018, 13:20 »
Almost certainly what you perceive as poor pedal response is a design feature to meet emissions targets.

I'm pinning my hopes on the mild hybrid system improving throttle response. Fingers crossed.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2018, 11:40 »

I totally agree.
The mk7  was the first of the new generation of low emissions engines the type of which seems to have been adopted by other manufacturers too as they all seem to have dreadful pedal response now.
It completely masks the prodigious torque these engines produce with a very laggy and flat power delivery.

I somehow doubt the hybrids will improve upon the situation until the aftermarket get their hands on them.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2018, 11:46 »

I totally agree.
The mk7  was the first of the new generation of low emissions engines the type of which seems to have been adopted by other manufacturers too as they all seem to have dreadful pedal response now.
It completely masks the prodigious torque these engines produce with a very laggy and flat power delivery.

I somehow doubt the hybrids will improve upon the situation until the aftermarket get their hands on them.

Presumably though wouldn't the lack of emissions from a hybrid (when accelerating) mean that they could use it for torque fill and actually fix the problem....surely it is the exact solution to the problem!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2018, 11:49 »

I totally agree.

Presumably though wouldn't the lack of emissions from a hybrid (when accelerating) mean that they could use it for torque fill and actually fix the problem....surely it is the exact solution to the problem!
In theory yes, but the actual throttle pedal is the same component across the range and that's where the issue lies. There's a chip in the top of the assembly which sends messages to the ECU.
Unless VW group start using a different accelerator pedal in each model then the issue will remain so long as there are petrol and Diesel only models in the range.
Just my suspicion, I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2018, 12:19 »
Having read this as a newbie and experiencing the poor throttle response a DTUK pedal box has been ordered!!!
 :grin:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2018, 20:19 »
Hypothetically - what are the possible ramifications of fitting a pedal box without informing your insurance company?

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS