Author Topic: Bumpy ride on my GTI  (Read 6240 times)

Offline bumpyride

• Just got here
Re: Bumpy ride on my GTI
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2018, 13:15 »
Hi all,

A bit of a update - to be honest, I took it for a long drive yesterday twisting round country lanes etc. Back was stiff afterwards but not really bad. It's actually not the bumpiness that's the issue, I think you're right about the seat settings. But the seat itself isn't much different that a regular golf, right?

Is there any science involved in getting seat setup right, or is it just trial and error? I know with office chairs there is an optimal position!

Is there any value in getting a memory foam seat support (surely the cheapest of the options I've considered!).

Thanks,

Phil.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 17 June 2018, 13:30 »
I don't think there's any hard and fast rule beyond common sense and what feels right.

Just make sure you don't have to stretch too far to reach the pedals or the steering wheel, and that the wheel doesn't obstruct your view of the dials. If i'm being picky, i'd say the seating position is one of my least favourite things about the current iteration of the Golf. The seats just don't adjust as low as i'd like.
7.5 GTD

Offline bumpyride

• Just got here
« Reply #22 on: 17 June 2018, 13:49 »
...which probably means you're taller than me! I'm only 5ft 6.

I'm going to give this a go:

https://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Seating-to-the-Proper-Position-While-Driving

Of course when my wife jumps into the car it will all go awry!

Thanks again.

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2018, 15:57 »
bumpyride thanks for that link. I will try that with my current A4, and again with my GTI when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2018, 08:41 »
After half a lifetime driveing Landrovers I find that I much prefer an upright position.

My old Mk 5 had a slightly higher seat setting than this new Mk 7 but the seats were certainly not a comfortable as my latest leather version.

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 23 June 2018, 12:11 »
Don’t know how scientific it is, but the two tips I got.

Sit with your back flat against the seat and you should be able to rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel without twisting or reaching.

For pedals, if you can fully press in the clutch and have only a slight bend in the knee, that should be right.

Also, be aware that the height of the seat can put pressure on the backs of your legs (hamstrings), which can affect your back.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2018, 16:03 »
All these guides are all well and good but what if you have really long arms and short legs or long legs and short arms etc. Unfortunately as not everyone is exactly the same it's a bit trial and error. I still move my seat in every direction every time I get in it but that's probably due to how buggered my back is  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.