Author Topic: New Golf GTD  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Daz321

• Just got here
New Golf GTD
« on: 11 June 2018, 19:46 »
Looking at getting a new Golf GTD DSG but been told they are not to comfortable on the motorway, what do owners think?

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
Re: New Golf GTD
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2018, 20:58 »
I had a 184 Seat Leon FR (same chassis ) for a while and that was wonderful..go for it

PS,  dont forget that Golf GTI's can do 45 mpg on the motorways...
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2018, 07:24 »
Who the heck told you that ?

I've had two MK7 Golf GTD's - one a 2013 and one a 2016 model, and both were brilliant mile munchers. Quite a few times I went to see my family down on the south coast or mid Scotland (so trips of approx 200-250 miles), and both cars did it brilliantly, (no back ache or bum ache). The 13 plate had the standard 18 alloys and the 16 model the optional 19" Santiago alloys, and on the latter with DCC, I genuinely couldn't tell much if any difference between the 18's and the 19's.

If you can get one with DCC all the better, but even without, they are still belting cars and I loved every moment of owning both mine.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2018, 10:10 »
Looking at getting a new Golf GTD DSG but been told they are not to comfortable on the motorway, what do owners think?

They are a fantastic motorway tool, set the cruise and relax  :cool: :cool:
50-60mpg, you wont regret it.
I`d love to buy a new one but couldn`t bear to part with the `gem` I`ve got  :smiley:
2016 GTD

Offline Ian_C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2018, 22:49 »
Had my 7.5 GTD for 12 months and 19.5k miles. No issues with comfort, esp on motorways. Active cruise is very good!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2018, 23:28 »
Might be uncomfortable compared to a Range Rover or a Bentley?

Mine's a manual, but no issues with motorway comfort whatsoever.  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2018, 00:20 »
I had a 184 Seat Leon FR (same chassis ) for a while and that was wonderful..go for it

PS,  dont forget that Golf GTI's can do 45 mpg on the motorways...

Quite possibly more than that if/when not in too much of a hurry, especially given the multitude of roadworks & so cameras.

No Idea where the not too comfortable angle has come from, unless from someone with a 100% wafty (or wallowy barge). It isn't going to match an appropriately suspended Citroen or old school Jag or anything of that nature for ride comfort, but it isn't anywhere near harsh or an issue and DSG/ACC makes up for that, plus you get the good side of slightly firmer suspension.
I'd be inclined to ditch Bridgestones though, if that's a priority.

Given the state of the roads at the moment, if comfort is paramount, I'd buy a generously tyred SUV and switch off  :wink:.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2018, 06:58 »
Leave the Bridgestones on, nothing wrong with them especially in the summer months and if you're doing motorway miles you won't be able to tell the difference in tyres anyway.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2018, 07:19 »
Drove a GTD for a short while and was fine on the motorway (and I am fussy re ride quality...). The ride was more noticeable on pot holed city streets. If you are ordering new, you could spec DCC. Also presumably you could get a decent test drive and try all surfaces for yourself?

I'd be more concerned about buying a diesel engine in the current climate - unless you are only keeping it for say 3 years.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2018, 08:19 »
Drove a GTD for a short while and was fine on the motorway (and I am fussy re ride quality...). The ride was more noticeable on pot holed city streets. If you are ordering new, you could spec DCC. Also presumably you could get a decent test drive and try all surfaces for yourself?

I'd be more concerned about buying a diesel engine in the current climate - unless you are only keeping it for say 3 years.

The current climate is that now the Arabs have driven American shale fuel companies out of business by artificially reducing the natural price of a barrel of oil, fuel costs are shooting up again - we may only be a few months away from the £1.40/l fuel cost.

The government are trying to persuade people to ditch diesel because it is filthy, when in reality petrol is too, hence particulate filters now being fitted to petrol models and the revelation that all these 1.0 3 cylinder engines that are worked hard all of the time are putting out plenty of NOx themselves and you really aren't saving tge world or your lungs by buying a modern petrol engined car.

The GTD is a fine car, far better when not on Bridgestones (tramping, rock hard riding tyres and a resultant tyre roar).

Diesel is a long way from being dead yet. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much value the wife's A1 1.6TDI has retained as i'm about to chop it in for a Polo GTI+.

All this scaremongering about diesels is putting a lot more tax in government coffers in fuel duty and VAT as we buy more of it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.