Author Topic: OBD11 Torque Restriction question  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
Re: OBD11 Torque Restriction question
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2018, 22:10 »
https://youtu.be/6dKJtnaV9CU

Sooner you than me! Check the tools you need... For £450 a dealer will supply and fit...

Have you got the magic programming dongle to set it up for a Golf?

Only need 3 tools, trim removal, pin renoval, din keys and its been programmed in germsny to my car all else fails a guy in Greenock has the dongle plus thr fitting skills shoukd i need them although im pretty sure i should manage...clever lassie me all in £325 saved myself a few bob which will go towards the app connect i mailed u about earlier 😉

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2018, 00:00 »
For the sake of £125 I’d rather not lose the best part of a day and guarantee a perfect install but good luck!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2018, 08:54 »
And how do you know Jeni won't do a perfect install? Do you seriously think a dealer will do a perfect install?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2018, 09:00 »
And how do you know Jeni won't do a perfect install? Do you seriously think a dealer will do a perfect install?

All of the inevitable broken bits of plastic trim, the subsequent refit job and the skin on my knuckles....  even a tight Yorkshire born and bred person like me would sooner pay someone to assume that risk.

TBH Jeni I am more interested in knowing if you can still have the spare wheel in your GTD with it fitted and what you think it sounds like when its done. I assume that once its fitted and (if possible) the spare wheel is also there that you can't use the lower boot level without removing it? Removing it should be easy though, unplug and just lift it out but I wonder if everything audio then still works ok?

All of these questions are why I didn't yet decide to get one - don't get me wrong, I love the idea - I love a bit of loud music!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2018, 09:04 »

Thank you McMaddy, i was a bit miffed at the remark but held my tongue...............i realise i am a girl however i am fairly meticulous when i am doing stuff especially to my car i am also very technically skilled when it comes to electronic devices so i am fairly confident in doing this and why would i pay someone to perhaps bust my clips and damage my LED light at least doing myself i know nothing will get damaged and covered up !

Jen :)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 06 June 2018, 09:15 »
I wasn't saying it because you are a girl Jeni! I was saying it because I thought it was a job I'd f*** up!

I wanted to make sure that you weren't fooled by the term "plug and play" - like I was initially. "plug and play" in my book is that the cable is there under the carpet and I plug the thing in it. That's "plug and play".... this is definitely not. This is "fit an amp and sub woofer" just like you'd fit an amp and subwoofer to any car (I helped my son fit one to his Nova years ago, but it wasn't a brand new car by a long way and it didn't matter if we f'ed it up... and we certainly did and it took us a whole day of cursing).

So good luck.... and let us know how it goes.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2018, 09:15 »

All of the inevitable broken bits of plastic trim, the subsequent refit job and the skin on my knuckles....  even a tight Yorkshire born and bred person like me would sooner pay someone to assume that risk.

TBH Jeni I am more interested in knowing if you can still have the spare wheel in your GTD with it fitted and what you think it sounds like when its done. I assume that once its fitted and (if possible) the spare wheel is also there that you can't use the lower boot level without removing it? Removing it should be easy though, unplug and just lift it out but I wonder if everything audio then still works ok?

All of these questions are why I didn't yet decide to get one - don't get me wrong, I love the idea - I love a bit of loud music!

My understanding is the only MK7 you cant install with the spare in is the R, the GTD/GTi you purchase a longer screw pin so both can sit together, however i came from a mini and had no spare wheel only several cans of Holtts Tyre Weld, if i have to remove the spare i will it makes no difference to me whatsoever i didnt have one in my car for the last 4 years BUT i believe they can be in there together happily :)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 06 June 2018, 09:19 »
My only word of caution with regard to not having a spare is that some recovery companies get shirty if you have a puncture (that you can't repair with the foam thing) and will charge you for recovery...

I know some cars don't have spares (my previous Mondeo didn't because I had huge drug dealer wheels on it) but it didn't matter because it was a company vehicle and any problems were paid for by the company...

Just be aware and check your breakdown cover...

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2018, 09:21 »
My only word of caution with regard to not having a spare is that some recovery companies get shirty if you have a puncture (that you can't repair with the foam thing) and will charge you for recovery...

I know some cars don't have spares (my previous Mondeo didn't because I had huge drug dealer wheels on it) but it didn't matter because it was a company vehicle and any problems were paid for by the company...

Just be aware and check your breakdown cover...

my previous Mondeo didn't because I had huge drug dealer wheels on it)  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This made me chuckle - i have now decided you are not as old as i assumed !

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2018, 09:23 »

This is covered by my green flag anyway  :grin: