Author Topic: What a Beast  (Read 2138 times)

Offline naxcars

• Not said much yet
What a Beast
« on: 17 January 2018, 20:47 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTGp6PW7JxA

Cracking car and at least he hasn't modified the exterior too much.
2014 Golf GTI Performance Pack: Nav & Rear Parking Camera, DTUK FRS+

Offline Sequence

• Not said much yet
Re: What a Beast
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2018, 21:27 »
Saw this, ricky is a top guy bit of a nutter behind the wheel but he is good.
As for the Gti as nice as it is being able to say "i have 500hp" wheelspin is 3rd/4th is possibly to much  :grin:
Golf Mk7 R Lapiz Blue Manual

Gone, Golf MK7 2.0TDI GT Tungsten Silver

Online Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2018, 22:14 »
Crazy power for a front wheel drive car. Almost impossible to get the power down. Definitely a beast though :smiley:
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2018, 23:27 »
Watched this the other day and I can't really say if it would shift me in favour or rather against going for a BT/hybrid. There are several issues both regarding the setup and the idea overall imo:

First of all, in general going for a hybrid and not a proper big turbo might save money but creates worries as to what exactly and how/with what it has been upgraded (or not) compared to the stock IS38. Not all hybrids are the same and he is not mentioning which one he's gone for. Second, 500hp is probably the absolute max most tuners would go for a stock EA888 gen such as that and even then you need a bit of luck on your side... 510hp and even more 470+ lb ft through a hybrid on a stock motor to me is pushing it. There's also a few other engine differences between the R and the GTI that he missed in the video (although he did admit there's going to be people that will correct him  :drool:) like cylinder head, exhaust valves, valve seat rings, camshaft, pistons so even a greater risk (again, to me) than pushing the same power on a R/Cupra/Clubsport but I'm no-one's financial advisor for sure.

Regardless of the setup's reliability, I think the bigger issues are with driveability. It was pretty evident in the video that the crank might well be making that power but hardly all that power is reaching the road for most of the time below 60-70mph and 4th gear. You can choose from either leaving the TC to cut power or turn it off and end up in a spin-fest and none sounds very tempting. Where this car is at its best is 60-top speed runs on an unrestricted highway. With an estimated 60-120 of around 7" it should easily walk RS6's, M4/5's, E63's, hell that's actually right into Nissan GT-R territory  which even though I admit must be great fun, unless you're in actual Germany is not very useful is it? I mean 350bhp/350lb ft in a GTI is already frustrating at times so I can only imagine how worse it will be with that amount of power.

Last but not least, I can't think of a way that this cars cornering has not been ruined to the point of being out-right dangerous. If I saw correctly it's not a PP GTI and he didn't mention anything about adding a LSD? So, without one (or the VAQ), how can you even try to put that power down round a bend without endless amounts of understeer?

« Last Edit: 17 January 2018, 23:31 by scanesare »