Author Topic: VW Driver Mag - Project GTI winter tyres  (Read 8120 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
VW Driver Mag - Project GTI winter tyres
« on: 17 January 2018, 10:23 »
In the February 2018 edition of the VW Driver Magazine the Project GTI article is on winter tyres.

The car is a Mk5 GTI Edition 30, modified to produce around 300hp.

I really enjoyed reading the article and would recommend it to anyone considering winter tyres.

Due to copyright I'm not going to copy the article here. However, here is the youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rO2CIs67g

I had to go out yesterday in my GTI on snow and ice. Despite the fact I was crawling I still could not get stopped at the end of the road. I very nearly slid out onto the main road. :sad: So I can report that the Michelin PS4 summer sport tyre are really poor in these conditions, obviously! They are not designed for use on snow and ice, like winter tyres are.

I decided not to risk driving in those conditions again. So I have postponed my work and stayed at home.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2018, 11:13 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
Re: VW Driver Mag - Project GTI winter tyres
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2018, 11:34 »
I still find it funny that people don't get winter tyres...

They all think you need deep snow for them....like my mate who just wrote off his Mini paceman 4wd at 20mph...braked for a "T" junction, hit black ice & went straight across & down a ditch & rolled the car...I had told him several times over the past years about winters & all seasons which meet the winter cert (cross climates etc)..

I think he might listen to me now...

I've had winters since the 09-10 winter.....the reason I got them was not snow but an early morning commute across loads of roundabouts (Inverness) & basically black ice & the grit was useless as the temp was -17C ish....the roads were clear of slush/snow...but even with my winter skills it was nerve wracking having to allow twice as long & using the handbrake to create some form of "chock" infront of wheels as ABS won't do that....& everyone else (few people) was have same problems...

I got winters then & there..& have never looked back...safest decision I have ever made & many s the time I have hit black Ice managed to drive through it in control.....on "summers" or general "all seasons" I would have crashed...

All down to the extra silica in the rubber to stop it going hard compared to normal tyres which start going hard at +7C...also the ton on "snipes" cut into the blocks which give more squish grip on turns where the treat block can rotate better & get more grip like deck shoes on fibreglass boats etc..

I just wish that we would follow Germany etc & make it law then we wouldn't be the laughing stock when the roads grind to a halt ever year in a light dusting of snow...snow that ain't snow...when you measure it in metres its snow...

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2018, 11:49 »
Just a mile away from my house this is and the lanes down there were so bad I decided not to drive until it had cleared. On top of that I don't have winters so not worth the risk. I like the idea of winter tyres and probably should invest. Its just all of the additional hassle of getting them swapped over for what is most likely never an issue most years.
| GOLF MK7 GTI | PP | DSG | KEYLESS | DYNAUDIO | SUNROOF | 3DR | WHITE |

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2018, 11:53 »
Absolutely agree with all of above.
Especially the 7degree stuff where summer tyres basically go hard.

I've driven round many a 4wd in my fwd car with winters fitted.
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2018, 12:15 »
Its just all of the additional hassle of getting them swapped over for what is most likely never an issue most years.

So most winters, the temperature doesn't go below +7 degrees C?

Not only do winter tyres provide the best grip in colder conditions, they last longer than summers do when it's colder. In the past, I've started the winter with newish summer tyres, only to find that they need replacing in the spring. I've got 4 winters use out of one set of winter tyres fitted on second hand OEM wheels. Whilst the summer wheels and tyres are sitting in the garage, they are not getting worn out either. It takes less than an hour to change the wheels over each time, so hardly any hassle at all.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2018, 12:26 »
Its just all of the additional hassle of getting them swapped over for what is most likely never an issue most years.

There is a editorial in the VW Driver Magazine article which discusses this. It says that, according to the MET office, for 5 months the UK average temperature is below 7C.

... perceived cost, lack of understanding and experience. Because people believe it is expensive. Because they don't understand all the winter driving advantages. Because they have little experience of snow and ice - especially in the southern half of the UK.

My wife has winter tyres. I know how good winter tyres are, yet I decided not to put winter tyres on my car. :rolleyes: I regretted that decision yesterday. :embarrassed:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2018, 20:27 »
... perceived cost, lack of understanding and experience. Because people believe it is expensive. Because they don't understand all the winter driving advantages. Because they have little experience of snow and ice - especially in the southern half of the UK.

My wife has winter tyres. I know how good winter tyres are, yet I decided not to put winter tyres on my car. :rolleyes: I regretted that decision yesterday. :embarrassed:

My mate who rolled his 4wd car..lives near me & in the back of beyond.....also numerous people I have spoken to over the years who live up here have the attitude of "I manage ok or I don't drive".....bit difficult if you are already driving to somewhere & you hit black ice...

I think the only time people will change is when they crash or have days with serious black ice issues....we have loads of days like that...currently 1inch of snow on ground, gritters have created loads of standing water & damp roads, local council has already over spent the £5million winter budget by £500,000 & have no money to cover until April which is the end of the winter budget time frame..

Loads of black ice will form tonight (low temps) on the roads where gritting is less frequent...& that includes, C, B & some "A" roads...

Like I say people living & driving the same roads as me year after year & still think winters or certified all seasons are a waste of time & expense or hassle....putting money before your life..or someone else's if you crash into them because you can't control your car as on unsuitable tyres...idiots the lot of them...

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2018, 21:33 »
Interesting post cheers DA  :wink: its been big topic of conversation where I work and whether (from a company car user driving Insignia perspective) we are allowed to get them fitted on our lease motorway munchers. I think I'll investigate costs for a set of alloys with winter tyres for my CS, from a quick look Contis TS tyres perform well...cheers

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2018, 06:44 »

There is a editorial in the VW Driver Magazine article which discusses this. It says that, according to the MET office, for 5 months the UK average temperature is below 7C.

Perceived costs?? It is expensive and this will be the reason the majority of people don't bother with winter tyres.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2018, 08:18 »

Perceived costs?? It is expensive and this will be the reason the majority of people don't bother with winter tyres.

It needn't cost a penny over time. You can only wear out one set of tyres at a time. Winter tyres last longer through winter than summer tyres too, so they could actually save money. Have them fitted on a set of secondhand wheels that you can sell and get your money back when you change the car, or keep for your next one if they will fit, and there will be no faff with having to have tyres removed and re-fitted every 6 months.

There are people driving round in £20-30-40k cars that can't find the initial money for a set of wheels and tyres that will pay for themselves in the long run? They either haven't got the money to back up their preceived image, or they are too stuborn to listen to facts.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.