Author Topic: GTI 7.5 Map Update....  (Read 27469 times)

Offline seanng

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI 7.5 Map Update....
« Reply #100 on: 16 January 2018, 10:37 »
Pocketgps is the best source but you need a subscription

How up to date are they about the cameras? A friend has on his but it still shows cameras in the West Midlands.

The maps are pretty much updated every couple of weeks. I can't remember driving past a camera that hasn't appeared on my satnav using the database, so I am very happy and more then willing to pay £20 per year!

IWAGTI was meaning the other way around - when a camera gets removed, is it removed from the DB? Being alerted to long gone static cameras can be very annoying.

In Waze only super users can mark a camera as not there, I guess pocketGPS is the same...

Yeah I know what you mean. The gatso ones seem fine but the mobile ones are annoying as they are rarely there!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #101 on: 16 January 2018, 10:44 »
When you have the pocketgps cameras loaded is it possible for the inbuilt satnav to notify you when you’re near?

Offline seanng

• Not said much yet
« Reply #102 on: 16 January 2018, 10:49 »
When you have the pocketgps cameras loaded is it possible for the inbuilt satnav to notify you when you’re near?

You add them to the satnav as POIs using a sd card (info in link below) and you get alerts. An alternative is to add as POIs using car net but you don't get alerts.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/22851-sat-nav-speed-camera-alerts/?page=7

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #103 on: 16 January 2018, 10:56 »

Yes but only on MIB2 from what I remember...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 16 January 2018, 12:12 »

Yes but only on MIB2 from what I remember...

The problem is that "near" is pretty close, say 30 metres ish, so not useful for avoiding detection! Also, the warning sound is not customisable, not very urgent and it's volume is dependant on your current navigation announcement volume. I have the screen set to the fixed "300 yards" scale so that I have a decent forward coverage and will, hopefully, notice any unfamiliar camera symbols. Not ideal, but better than nothing!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #105 on: 16 January 2018, 12:22 »
Better to use Waze over AndroidAuto :D

No fiddly camera updates, no pathetic VW nav "bong" and you can set it so it only alerts if you are speeding AND about to meet a camera. No alerts for law abiding drivers :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #106 on: 16 January 2018, 16:46 »
Pocketgps is the best source but you need a subscription

How up to date are they about the cameras? A friend has on his but it still shows cameras in the West Midlands.

The maps are pretty much updated every couple of weeks. I can't remember driving past a camera that hasn't appeared on my satnav using the database, so I am very happy and more then willing to pay £20 per year!

IWAGTI was meaning the other way around - when a camera gets removed, is it removed from the DB? Being alerted to long gone static cameras can be very annoying.

In Waze only super users can mark a camera as not there, I guess pocketGPS is the same...

Yeah that is what I meant. Does it show cameras that are there but not switched on? In the WM they didn't remove most of the cameras even though none of them are switched on.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 17 January 2018, 11:45 »
Right,
I must be an idiot, because I cannot get the update to work.

I've used the Discovercare to build my SD card.
I've inserted it into slot 2 (Slot1 has original VW card).
Tried update and get an error saying no data found.

I've also switched cards around, VW card is then detected in slot 2 but still no update found.
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #108 on: 17 January 2018, 11:47 »
Right,

I've also switched cards around, VW card is then detected in slot 2 but still no update found.

Are you not supposed to used the VW card?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #109 on: 17 January 2018, 14:10 »
Right,

I put the original VW card into my Mac, wiped it and put the updated files straight onto it. That worked a treat.