Author Topic: 14000 Miles in & dreaded clutch slip on my MK7 GTI PP  (Read 5021 times)

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
14000 Miles in & dreaded clutch slip on my MK7 GTI PP
« on: 22 November 2017, 10:12 »
My unmodified MK7 GTI PP now has the dreaded clutch slip.

I have had the car from new, been looked after however when driving hard in sport mode from about 3000rpm the revs rise (clutch slip) for about 2-3 seconds & then carries on as normal.

Was going to book in with dealer, anyone had any experiences in getting this covered under warranty?

I have come from a Mk3 Focus St & never had any issues like this & would expect VW to be more hardcore than it is.

Feeling rather deflated with the old girl now  :sad:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: 14000 Miles in & dreaded clutch slip on my MK7 GTI PP
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2017, 12:52 »
I reckon they'll not cover it, I thought (as it's a wear and tear item) the warranty was only 6,500 miles.

I would have thought the only way they would cover it is if (upon inspection) they find a manufacturing defect on it (which is unlikely).
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2017, 13:02 »
The slip might not be worn clutch springs or plates though?

Could be caused by other problems no?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2017, 13:06 »
Thanks guys

to add this is a manual so no obvious launch control like DSG

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2017, 13:29 »
Assuming the car is still under warranty?

The best you can hope for is they find  a manufacturing fault in either the clutch pressure or friction plates.

The downside to this is it will probably cost more to have the clutch replaced at a main dealer than an independent.

I had an Audi which I could feel an issue with the clutch through the pedal..... It worked ok, but felt odd on occassion, Audi said it was fine.
At 50k miles, when out of warranty I had to replace it, the pressure plate had a manufacturing defect and was warped, so did not wear evenly.

Unfortunately you have to pay the labour to get to see the part and again to refit.
Good luck.

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2017, 13:40 »
Hi Clubsport,
Yes car is only just 1 year old.
Found this on another forum from a guy that had same issue as mine:

I took the car to the dealership. They were able to reproduce the problem and took it apart. There was "fluid" leaking into the clutch from a broken seal on the output drive shaft. The replaced the clutch, flywheel, and seal under warranty. It took a week and I had a TDI loaner for a week, but the car is back to new and it was free.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2017, 14:20 »
It sounds fair and possible, the issue being if they find nothing and have to refit a new clutch for you, you pay the full fitted price.
I am not suggesting you have, but you could destroy a clutch in 14k miles if you treated it without sympathy.
I don't think you have much choice but to go down this route in the hope they find something.

I would point out the low wear on the tyres and overall fantastic condition of the car to show how well you have treated it over the last 14k miles and how likely it must be a manufacturing fault or leaking seal.

It;s not down to me obviously, but if you can show the rest of the car is such good condition, with a little goodwill, it may be a 50/50 decision.
Good luck.

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2017, 14:56 »
Thanks, i'll book it in & see what they say.

I make no secret I do drive the car hard (what is designed to do) but I don't abuse it, I don't use the torque to pull me along, i keep revs up before accelerating hard

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2017, 20:39 »
It is worth having a main dealer remove and investigate the issue, manufacturer backing with warranty and goodwill if necessary will be at your disposal then.

You may risk a few £££ to remove the gearbox to inspect, e.g. you would be liable for gearbox removal cost and resulting repairs if clutch found to be worn. Likelihood due to age and mileage a positive manufacturing defect or failure would be identified and work carried out covered by manufacturer warranty.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline wakey1512

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2017, 20:25 »
I have noticed the same issue on my 2015 gti pp with 35k. Only has a slight slip in high gears at low rpm. If I'm flat out and race the engine above 4K it doesn't miss a beat. My guess isn't due to incorrect driving or the friction plate being glazed because it seems to be happening at early mileages for most people. The clutch plate is either underrated for the job or there is an issue with the strength of the pressure plate. I think the latter personally as it will be a lightweight part.