Author Topic: A little underwhelmed by active display  (Read 6807 times)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
A little underwhelmed by active display
« on: 19 November 2017, 17:10 »
As my title I'm a little underwhelmed by the active display. Unless I'm missing something I expected there to be more customisation.

Am I right in thinking you always have the two large clocks for speed and revs and then can customise what goes in the centre of those clocks and also what goes between. However there seems to be just a few set options to choose for what displays in each area. I like fuel range to always be displayed so set it to the centre and then speed and gear for the middle of the clocks. This gives the info I want but looks a little plain perhaps. Tried putting the range and average fuel as the clock centres and then phone in the middle which I quite like but it puts the digital speed readout as a small figure below the speedo which isn't that easy to see at a glance.

What is everyone else doing ?
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: A little underwhelmed by active display
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2017, 17:18 »

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2017, 19:12 »

Changed it back to original assist screen

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2017, 19:48 »
Never seen one in the flesh but it would be a shame if it's so limited. If you look at the audi tt one you can apparently make the clocks smaller to have a larger nav screen in the middle of them etc.

Seems a trick's been missed a little bit. Wonder what can be done with VCDS etc?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline grahamjenks

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2017, 20:02 »
Never seen one in the flesh but it would be a shame if it's so limited. If you look at the audi tt one you can apparently make the clocks smaller to have a larger nav screen in the middle of them etc.

Seems a trick's been missed a little bit. Wonder what can be done with VCDS etc?

You can do exactly that in the golf. It’s a shame it isn’t a little more flexible but Ive found it pretty decent. Main annoyance I have is using CarPlay it won’t show currently playing music from Spotify (suspect this isn’t VW’s fault though).
GTI 7.5 Manual Tornado Red - On Order - due any day!

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2017, 20:07 »

You can do exactly that in the golf. It’s a shame it isn’t a little more flexible but Ive found it pretty decent. Main annoyance I have is using CarPlay it won’t show currently playing music from Spotify (suspect this isn’t VW’s fault though).

Ah, cool - I'll find out one day when I replace the GTI. Late Mk7.5 R or wait and see when the Mk8 comes out.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2017, 20:16 »
The Seat active info which is going onto the Cupra soon looks fantastic. For some reason the Golf got a poor version. They must be able to update it via firmware but I doubt they will
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2017, 20:40 »
Never seen one in the flesh but it would be a shame if it's so limited.

To be fair it’s standard equipment on the performance Golfs, whereas it’s a hefty optional extra on an Audi.

I like to have mine set to navigation with dials minimised and gear/speed inside. When I drive my MK7 R the old dials seem very old fashioned!
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2017, 23:30 »

Nav and smaller dials is how I have mine for about 95% of the time. AID is limited compared to the Audi version. In the RS models you can have a single central rev counter with stuff either side which would have been cool for the performance Golfs.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey