Author Topic: Project 7.5R and Clubsport S  (Read 4601 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: Project 7.5R and Clubsport S
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2017, 23:06 »
Yes, Ohlins are incredible. I’ve tried pretty much everything over the years and the Ohlins manage the Holy Grail of better ride quality and superb handling. Worth every penny.

If you get hold of the December issue of Volkswagen Driver you can see the power and torque figures on a graph. Standard my R was 320bhp, 350 bhp with JB4+ box and just over 360bhp with the VWR R600 air intake. Worth looking at the graphs in the magazine which show where the improvements are.

Don’t believe rolling roads that show a standard R with 340-350bhp. It’s rubbish - all 7.5Rs are around 320bhp standard.

I’d love to put mine on a rolling road. For sure feels more than the 310 bhp
Then VW have always been conservative with bhp figures (I wonder why) when they aren’t at all with consumption figures.
Is the CSS noticeably slower than the R as the quoted figures suggest, standing starts that is. I would have thought it being a fair bit lighter the in gear times superior. No one quotes the good old 30 - 70mph times anymore or 50 - 100 mph.
Don’t think I would go back to fwd from awd with 320bhp++ on tap
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2017, 23:41 »
Not in the UK unfortunately, if there is a link to an electronic form of the magazine it will be appreciated. Anyone claiming 340-350bhp on a stock R has no idea how dynos work probably and that you can get probably any value you want if you enter the right settings. Before/after differences are more enlightening as there is at least a reference. If you do get hold of one throw me a PM if it's not too much trouble!

There is an electronic version of the mag but requires a separate subscription to the paper mag.  I have the pocketmags app for it but let my subscription lapse.

https://pocketmags.com/volkswagen-driver-magazine/december-2017#548078cbba052

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2017, 10:28 »
The R and the Clubbie are both great cars but in very different ways. The R is obviously a lot more practical and is highly capable but can’t get close to the Clubbie in terms of driver engagement. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever driven before, it really is that special. I had a BMW M2 last year and, as gorgeous as it was to look at, it was not close to the Clubbie in terms of the driving experience.

Project 7.5R is about trying to inject some of the Clubbie’s magic into a new R. The Ohlins suspension has made a huge difference and the single best upgrade I’ve ever made to a car. And that’s in over 30 years. The ride quality is more compliant than my Mother’s TDI Golf yet the body control is superb when pushing on. Expensive but in a different league to anything else (and I’ve tried pretty much tried everything over the years).

Don´t say so!!. I been to a trackevent with my car, That Ohlins was the sponsor of. And i am trying not too buy a Road and Track suspension.. :whistle: :grin: :grin:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline sharper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2017, 18:35 »
Updates on Project 7.5R are now being posted on Twitter - @simonharper96 

I’m new to Twitter so please don’t be put off by my small number of followers!

I’ve put some photos up of the Revo Alcon big brake upgrade and the BCS Powervalve exhaust which have both been fitted recently.

If there’s anything in particular you would like to see covered, both performance and non-performance enhancing, please let me know. I’m thinking of fitting the Clubsport’s rear spoiler which is now part of the performance pack for the R. Thoughts?

Thanks
Simon

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2017, 18:41 »
Updates on Project 7.5R are now being posted on Twitter - @simonharper96 

I’m new to Twitter so please don’t be put off by my small number of followers!

I’ve put some photos up of the Revo Alcon big brake upgrade and the BCS Powervalve exhaust which have both been fitted recently.

If there’s anything in particular you would like to see covered, both performance and non-performance enhancing, please let me know. I’m thinking of fitting the Clubsport’s rear spoiler which is now part of the performance pack for the R. Thoughts?

Thanks
Simon

Does the Clubsport not have a different hatch to the other performance Golf's? I thought it was the same hatch as the non performance models.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 18:45 by I wanted a GTi »
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2017, 19:21 »
The Clubsport spoiler and the little lip spoiler that’s part of the R PP are 2 entirely different things. The CS spoiler is fitted to a standard Golf boot lid. If you wanted to fit one to a standard GTI/R you’d have to change the entire bootlid!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline sharper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2017, 22:27 »
Didn’t know that. Thank you, I could easily have ordered the Clubsport one and I bet the dealer wouldn’t have known any different. The online community here is so useful when doing a project like this. I’ll need the spoiler that comes with R performance pack then.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2017, 22:36 »
The clubsport spoiler is an expensive option with needing a tailgate as well but looks very good. Someone on VWROC  has done it. The PP spoiler is tiny and I don't think it's worth 300 notes. You're better off with the facelift Maxton Design part which is about £100
« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 22:38 by Rob1981 »
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline sharper

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2017, 23:50 »
Thank you. The Maxton Design rear spoiler extension looks good. Is there stuff decent quality? I don’t want the car to look like it’s been driven through Halfords but some subtle enhancements would be nice!

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2017, 00:07 »
I think the spoiler should be fine, you can get them in gloss black to match the gloss on the car. If you have the car very low I'm not sure how the splitters would last.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints