Author Topic: My new GTI PP nearly stolen. Anybody recommend best security  (Read 12026 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: My new GTI PP nearly stolen. Anybody recommend best security
« Reply #20 on: 20 November 2017, 23:31 »
We benefit from having to park in the street. The baddies would have to try around 80 houses to find the key!

Seems to be the strategy of choice where my brother lives. There are cars in his street from 2 and 3 blocks away.
7.5 GTD

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2017, 10:55 »
As others have said upgraded locks and alarm and consider safes/key safes and some CCTV

If you doors have euro cylinders then I would invest in some platinum 3 star ones

Offline Steve78

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2017, 11:32 »
I'd rather them just take the bloody car rather than be confronted by a gang of thieves in my bedroom during the night.

Mine has a tracker and most of the time they would try & hide a car for a few days after stealing it - by that time I'd hoped to have had the car recovered anyway.  If not, then it's just a car that can be replaced.  Massively inconvenient of course, but it depends if you value your families safety more - which I do.

My current Mk 7 is keyless and my new 7.5 due in the next week or two is not as I didn't spec it which is something I am VERY happy about & won't miss.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 27 November 2017, 01:23 »
Just seen this on the BBC site.' Relay crime' theft caught on camera.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42132804/relay-crime-theft-caught-on-camera

Shocking stuff.Gone in (less) than 60 seconds! :cry: I'm going to get one of those Faraday cage things.They seem like the only thing to stop these people stealing your car using this method.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2017, 01:29 by Restlessnative »
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Steve78

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 27 November 2017, 11:29 »
I have a Faraday pouch.  You must make sure it's a genuine product with the flap sealing the pouch otherwise the keyfob is not isolated.

I've tested it with key fobs & phones and it works.

However, a determined thief will simply break into your house during the night & threaten you and your kids until they get the keys if they want the car that badly.

Most thieves want to keep it simple and take the car without you knowing which is why it's so easy for them to do so with relatively inexpensive technology.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 27 November 2017, 13:39 »
Just seen this on the BBC site.' Relay crime' theft caught on camera.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42132804/relay-crime-theft-caught-on-camera

Shocking stuff.Gone in (less) than 60 seconds! :cry: I'm going to get one of those Faraday cage things.They seem like the only thing to stop these people stealing your car using this method.

That's only a few miles from me.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #26 on: 27 November 2017, 14:00 »
Here's a thing - most houses have more than 1 car (mine has) and both 'er indoors car and mine are keyless (we like to live dangerously) so would have 4 sets of keys to store. Therefore would we be better getting something like...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Emergency-Sweets-Metal-Storage/dp/B06XR93VCY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1511790556&sr=8-10&keywords=sweet+tin

It should do the faraday cage thing (as it's a metal box) and you'll get more than 1 key in it?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2017, 14:43 »
A metal tin like that to store the car keys is what I've done. Don't forget to wrap your spare in tinfoil as well.
I've also got an additional immobilizer, which is what stopped my car from being stolen a few weeks ago after we got broken into.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #28 on: 27 November 2017, 14:46 »
Additional immobiliser? Ghost?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 27 November 2017, 15:12 »
Here's a thing - most houses have more than 1 car (mine has) and both 'er indoors car and mine are keyless (we like to live dangerously) so would have 4 sets of keys to store. Therefore would we be better getting something like...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Emergency-Sweets-Metal-Storage/dp/B06XR93VCY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1511790556&sr=8-10&keywords=sweet+tin

It should do the faraday cage thing (as it's a metal box) and you'll get more than 1 key in it?

What we do is myself and my wife keep a key for each car and that way when we are out there are no keys inside. Was a bit of a pain when we had 3 cars between us but the recession put paid to that.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17