Author Topic: GTi wastegate rattle.  (Read 2922 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
GTi wastegate rattle.
« on: 17 November 2017, 19:08 »
Anyone know if the mk7 gti's have the wastegate rattle issue of previous models. Had mine in today for what thought was a loose exhaust heat shield only to be told it's wastegate noise and absolutely normal. A forecourt GTi had exactly the same noise as mine. I've only just started noticing this in the last couple of months so it hasn't made any noise in the previous 10 months. It sounds like a whine from the fuel pump but it's apparently the wastegate. Anyone else experienced this?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTi wastegate rattle.
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2017, 13:04 »
105 views and not one comment! Must be some sort of record.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2017, 13:53 »
Maybe no one else has the problem? I'd say it'd be hard to tell with the other cabin rattles and the Soundaktor going let alone the ice. What am I listening for and when should I be hearing it? Has anything else changed in the 10 months that might've previously masked it? Changed engine modes, switched off soundaktor?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2017, 15:22 »
Turned soundaktor off after a few days and nothing else has changed. It's only doing it when the engine is warm and I can hear it lifting off the accelerator to turn a corner in my street. It does sound like an exhaust rattle or some sort of heat shield is rattling. Surely everyone has it as it's a characteristic of all GTis!! (So I've been told by VW)  :grin: :whistle:
« Last Edit: 18 November 2017, 15:24 by mcmaddy »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2017, 16:52 »
Just googled it and it does seem common and not a characteristic!

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232

How about this - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/wastegate-actuator-rod-rattle-clip/06j145220a/

Might get the part cheaper from an Audi dealer, assuming this is the problem you have.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2017, 16:59 by Watts »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2017, 18:19 »
Apparently you can get the part for 6 quid from AliExpress but the ECS tuning advert says have you noticed it under acceleration. Mines not noisy under acceleration but coming off the accelerator. I need to find someone in the North East with a GTi to compare.