Author Topic: How heavy is the rear Haldex unit in an R?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: How heavy is the rear Haldex unit in an R?
« Reply #30 on: 18 November 2017, 17:56 »
I'm having a problem getting my head around all this now.

I originally thought the first poster was wondering about the difference in handling. Given that the R is some 257.5lbs heavier and has the benefit of AWD, one would think that adding some extra weight to the rear would change the cars handling somewhat (that's my perception anyway). I've had a number of rather quick cars in the past...some handled well, others not so impressive....adjustments to weight placement helped in some cases. Most notable was a VW Beetle to which we fitted a fully balanced, blueprinted motor and a few other 'goodies',which added about 25 pounds to the curb weight...you could lift the front wheels off the ground from a standing start and suffered from chronic understeer, especially if you tried to power on through corners!  A dose of the sandbag treatment stopped all that! We ended up bolting a steel plate to the floor of the front luggage compartment. That was a great car...until some krunt stole it.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #31 on: 19 November 2017, 11:29 »
I haven't read the entire thread. Has anyone mentioned the tyres?

What are the standard 18inch tyres on the Golf R?

The Bridgestone tyres are firm and don't have the best grip. My last car was firm and twitchy on Bridgestones. Goodyear tyres made it feel like a different car.

Lots of people have noticed that the Golf R is a more comfortable car than the GTI. I know that putting PS4 tyres on my current car has resulted in more comfort.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 20 November 2017, 08:58 »
a VW Beetle... sandbag treatment

Indeed Bazz, in fact, my original musings was because in the 70's we had a beetle and in the winter we used to add a couple of sandbags in the front to make it handle better on slippery surfaces.

And Daz...

Tyres, no, its not tyres. All of the R's I've ever been in are on factory BS's the same as my GTD's. Its not about handling, road noise or anything, its just how the R seems to swallow up bumps and stay planted.

One particular instance I remember was going over a level crossing - which is a big old bump... and it not really crashing like mine would have.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2017, 20:36 »
I hope no one has tried sticking bags of sand in there boot  :whistle: I've seen what happens when it goes wrong

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 20 November 2017, 23:06 »

Indeed Bazz, in fact, my original musings was because in the 70's we had a beetle and in the winter we used to add a couple of sandbags in the front to make it handle better on slippery surfaces.

The difference was adding some weight over the wheels that are steering or driving the car has some potential benefit. Sticking some bags of sand in your boot of front drive hatch.... Well you've probably worked that out by now!  :whistle:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #35 on: 21 November 2017, 06:01 »

The difference was adding some weight over the wheels that are steering or driving the car has some potential benefit. Sticking some bags of sand in your boot of front drive hatch.... Well you've probably worked that out by now!  :whistle:

That sounds as if you shouldn't be driving around with passengers on the rear seats.  :laugh:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.