Author Topic: Golf GTI MK6 Coils / Misfire and Cambelt / Timing Belt  (Read 2387 times)

Offline DanielGolfGTI

• Just got here
Golf GTI MK6 Coils / Misfire and Cambelt / Timing Belt
« on: 14 November 2017, 18:19 »
Hello All

Would much appreciate help from anyone with a couple of questions......

I own a 2011 manual Golf GTI mk6 and I admit that I have very limited knowledge of cars, and more to the point GTI's.

My car has done 54k miles and the f****** thing has misfired twice in the past two years and I think tonight might be the third time. The emissions and epc lights started flashing the same as before as well as the same loss of power and engine / accelerator judder so it points to a misfire. The last time it happened was about 6-7 months ago. Do any of you know if this is a common problem and if so how it can be avoided? I am not a silly driver and don't thrash and torture my car so I am not too happy this has happened for (possibly) the third time. Hopefully it is nothing much more serious and have it booked in tomorrow so will find out........

I hope you could help with a more general query - is it true that a GTI does NOT have a cambelt and would not  need the 60k miles cambelt change because it has a timing belt (the timing belt needs changing after 100k miles as I understand)? Some I have spoke to have different opinions and I am not an expert on this unfortunately.

Any help with one or both of the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Golf GTI MK6 Coils / Misfire and Cambelt / Timing Belt
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2017, 18:37 »
Depends on the engine code if it has belt or chain.

I would get the faults scanned with VCDS. May not have anything to do with timing at all, or ignition.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Golf GTI MK6 Coils / Misfire and Cambelt / Timing Belt
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2017, 21:19 »
The mk6 GTI has a timing chain not belt as you suspect.

Misfire could be any number of things. Coil packs, inlet manifold, plugs, timing, throttle pedal, sensor braking down, mecatronics DSG unit failing etc
If the lights on it should have stored a code. As long as you get it read before it completes its reset counter. This should give you a good starting point.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 21:23 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.