Author Topic: 2018 Polo GTi is shorter, lighter and better to drive  (Read 9700 times)

Offline wigit

• I live here
Re: 2018 Polo GTi is shorter, lighter and better to drive
« Reply #30 on: 13 November 2017, 19:54 »
Having seen one in the flesh the red highlight is not the best on the dash, the press shots show a different colour

High on the list for a daily for me as its a bit smaller andI actually want some fun

The seats in it are much nicer than the mk7 as do feel sporty and more supportive

Plastics not up to Golf levels but in reality its a work horse

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 13 November 2017, 23:15 »
Fabulous smallish car, I would love it, having had several Clio Williams, Sports,. So chuckable and I imagine quicker than my R on the narrow road from Cirencester to Withington.
Wonder if I could persuade my other half to px her Mk7 GTI.

But you wouldn't swap your Mk7.5 R for one, only your missus' car??

I doubt there would be any driving situation that the new Polo would be quicker than the Golf R, except perhaps through a tight multi-storey car park.

Exactly, so you know the road past Rendcomb airfield where Nick Mason keeps his stable of Ferrari's etc

The R would blow it away on the straights for sure but hairpins? You need to lift a rear wheel . Be fun though and probably a tad more satisfying.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 14 November 2017, 08:59 »
If "satisfying" is your objective, surely a FWD hatch, even a warm one, isn't going to be it?

Isn't petrol head nirvana where the power comes from the rear?

I considered a GT86 last time around, except that its too small to fit large children and their friends in the back (yes, dads taxi keeps on running past the point at which they learn to drive!!) and the residuals and associated financials were eye watering.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 15 November 2017, 13:54 »
Would I swap a R for a Polo GTI , yes I would

In day to day life I just find for quick cars for commuting a complete chore and in reality only need something that is quick up to 60 for the twisties which does not attract too much attention, previous sh!ttys for the city before the R Wagon were a Fiat 500 TA and a Polo Blue GT, the estate remains my fav R

In all but snow I prefer driving the M2 over the R as contrary to what I thought give it a wet and twisty road the BMW is a faster point to point car, would I use it for the daily grind, no as its just a waste of fuel and tyre rubber

Issue with RWD is you do have to drive it and not be hamfisted like you can with the R, R feels like playstation but is never truly  a balanced car

I think we have all go a bit numbers and track mad when it come to cars, whilst I have a M2 CS deposit down I am resisting the urge to go Carrera T with only 370ps and a manual box and not many toys, why, because its going to be fun and nicely balanced which will probably mean if i do I go for a cheap rental

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 15 November 2017, 18:25 »
Anyone know what these double fog lights are?

Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 15 November 2017, 18:35 »
Anyone know what these double fog lights are?

Presumably one is a fog light, and the other is a cornering light.

Edit; as suspected, the larger of the two is the cornering light; see it in action at 1 min 55 sec in the video of the R Line at the link below;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iNUAS7ZVBb8
« Last Edit: 15 November 2017, 18:44 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl