Author Topic: Rear camera worth it?  (Read 11613 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: Rear camera worth it?
« Reply #20 on: 11 November 2017, 18:34 »
On some cars it's a must have like on my CC but on a Golf no there is no need at all for one.

You can't be serious, cost near nothing and brilliant on the larger screen. No need? Are you invisible? :whistle:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 11 November 2017, 18:35 »
I've got one on my Amarok. On that is is a boon when reversing into tight spaces or up to a trailer hitch. Before having it, I never thought the Golf needed one. I'm not saying it does 'need' one, but I find myself looking at the screen in the Golf and being disapointed when there is no image there. It really is like having a fourth mirror.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 12 November 2017, 00:01 »
Depends how you park, for ages I had to reverse up to a garage door, literally an inch from it in order to get the driveway gates to close. You cant get that close to an object on your own without a camera.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 12 November 2017, 02:04 »
Can you turn your neck to peer behind you? Yes then no.
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 12 November 2017, 03:52 »
My current car is the first with the rear view camera.  I was sceptical about them, but now wouldn't be without one.  The Golf camera is quite wide angle and great for reversing out of supermarket car park spaces - the camera can see approaching traffic/objects well before the driver turning their head, or by using mirrors. 

I use all three info sources still when reversing (head turn, mirrors and camera), but the camera definitely picks up some objects the other two don't.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 12 November 2017, 07:08 »
I'd recommend it.Crystal clear fantastic wide view to the rear.Works very well with the PDC.Even in the dark it intensifies the available light.Buy it!. :smiley:

Wish I had it! The standard reverse lights are just rubbish for seeing with!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 12 November 2017, 08:43 »
Can you turn your neck to peer behind you? Yes then no.
You still won't be able to judge an inch from something turning around. For the cost that a rear camera is it's a very helpful aid.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 12 November 2017, 11:47 »
How much is the RVC now if specced?

I had it on my GTI PP and thought it was a cool gimmick. It was cheap at £150 ish too, as was the self parking thing which actually proved useful once or twice and was also cheap.

My R didn't have either option, neither did my GTD and neither does my Ed40.
I'd have both options again in a heartbeat.
The camera image is out of your line of sight so you do have to pull some funny head and neck movements when reversing: up, down, left, right, and repeat... so think of it as a workout as well as a useful gimmick.  :smiley:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 12 November 2017, 11:58 »
£265 current price on GTI
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30