Author Topic: Mirrorlink and Rockscout  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Mirrorlink and Rockscout
« on: 16 October 2017, 08:43 »
i guys and gals. Since getting my current GTD, if I want to use Spotify etc. I've tended to use Android Auto on my Galaxy S7, as I just prefer the interface over design for apple car play (which seems to have been designed for a 3 year old), but anyway, this isn't a AA via Car Play question.

No, today I was reading about Mirrorlink also available on the head units (and available to Android and Windows phones). Of most interest was Rockscout, which I have installed on the phone. It seems a recent update now allows for Spotify playback (and actually looks quite nice), but in addition there are apps in Rockscout for PLEX (media streaming) and Youtube. However when I click on either of those, it says no media found.

Anyone used this, and does it just need a Wifi hotspot creating for these two apps to connect (much like Car-Net and Google maps / Traffic flow data does on my Disco Pro headunit) ?

I'll give it another go at lunchtime and get some shots of it in action, but just wanted to know if anyone had ever used this app before ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
Re: Mirrorlink and Rockscout
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2017, 11:45 »
i guys and gals. Since getting my current GTD, if I want to use Spotify etc. I've tended to use Android Auto on my Galaxy S7, as I just prefer the interface over design for apple car play (which seems to have been designed for a 3 year old), but anyway, this isn't a AA via Car Play question.

No, today I was reading about Mirrorlink also available on the head units (and available to Android and Windows phones). Of most interest was Rockscout, which I have installed on the phone. It seems a recent update now allows for Spotify playback (and actually looks quite nice), but in addition there are apps in Rockscout for PLEX (media streaming) and Youtube. However when I click on either of those, it says no media found.

Anyone used this, and does it just need a Wifi hotspot creating for these two apps to connect (much like Car-Net and Google maps / Traffic flow data does on my Disco Pro headunit) ?

I'll give it another go at lunchtime and get some shots of it in action, but just wanted to know if anyone had ever used this app before ?

Hey, im back to considering app connect and having looked at the android auto which looks pretty sh!t i wonder what the outcome was with Rockscout ? i have a few playlists on youtube and like to play them in the car do you use Mirrorlink or android auto ? Can i assume when texts come in they can be read out loud through the speakers, should you chose, also i know with the apple setup Whats App isnt an icon option, as the majority of my texts come through whats app does android support this ?

Thanks Sootchucker

Jen

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2017, 15:06 »
Sooty,

Does the app work when you just use it on the phone? (ie without Mirrorlink active). Test that first... I've never used that app.

Jeni,

Yes, WhatsApp does work:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all?hl=en_GB

I've never used it though.

FB Messenger works but the functionality is limited to replying to incoming messages, you can't send a new one (unlike SMS messages).

That list isn't 100% complete either, in the last week or so BBC Iplayer is now AA enabled too.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2017, 15:23 »
Sooty,

Does the app work when you just use it on the phone? (ie without Mirrorlink active). Test that first... I've never used that app.

Jeni,

Yes, WhatsApp does work:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all?hl=en_GB

I've never used it though.

FB Messenger works but the functionality is limited to replying to incoming messages, you can't send a new one (unlike SMS messages).

That list isn't 100% complete either, in the last week or so BBC Iplayer is now AA enabled too.

Hi Fredgroves hows tricks ?

Out of curiosity do you have door sill guards ? if you do what ones, i want to invest as i cant open my door fully where i park at night and so scuffs are appearing when im getting out on my door sills  :angry:

Looking at 2 different ones and not sure which is the better

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/sill-protectors/volkswagen/golf/mk7/golf-part-no-k18x.html

or

http://www.rearguards.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=catshow&ref=sillguards

the latter being plastic option or stainless  :undecided:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2017, 10:54 »
Jeni,

Sorry for my late reply. Never did find a way of getting my Galaxy S7 connected via Android Auto (AA) or Mirrorlink to display YouTube etc, so just sorta gave up on it. TBH, it might just be the Samsung Car Mode app that needs to be running that stopping it ?

As far as AA vs Apple Car play (ACP), I'm fortunate to have my S7 as my personal phone and an Iphone 7 as my works phone and both are usually connected at the same time via the head-unit. When it comes to using either AA or ACP I would always pick AA over ACP as functionally and visually I personally find it much better (ACP looks too childish to me with it's huge fonts and the artwork that's so blurred it might as well not be there). But for sure one of the main things is that I can run Waze for Navigation using AA (not available for ACP), and I do tend to use that a lot for the traffic and incident reporting. AA will also show a full screen contact photo and details during a phone call,  allows you to read and reply to text messages and using the phone button on the steering wheel allows me to initiate google voice (via a long press of the voice button), features which to be fair ACP also has.

With regards to the sill trims, I've had a couple and settled on the Lockwood ones. Superb fit and finish and on a dark car (link mine) looks great.

« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 10:56 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras