Author Topic: Hi I am new and so is my car)to me)  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Reebzluke

• Not said much yet
Hi I am new and so is my car)to me)
« on: 30 August 2017, 20:42 »
Hi there,

So I bought a 1.8t for next to nothing.  Guy was totally honest said it has been sitting for months and probally got a few porblems, but never the less the wife and I bundled into the "good" car to brave the 60 mile trip to go and have a look.

Got there and after half an hour poking around followed by a few trips round the block I came back with this.

Now I was aware of the knock which after inspection I put down to ARB bushes so I will ignore for the moment.
Got stuck in two hour traffic on the way home... not a single problem I was pleased as punch.
However...

As soon as the traffic started to clear while travelling at about 30mph I accelerated upto 70.  The huge grin on my face with the pull (stage 2 remap I am told) was rudley interupted by a loud beep and the dash saying oill press. I brought the revs down and it went off again.  It stayed off during "normal low rev driving" I though ok its been sat, its probaby just crud on the sensor or something... I accelerated again and over 4k revs it cam back on again.

So I drove home at a normal pace (low revs) and it didnt come back on. 
But
after a fare way on the motorway with very little braking as I cam off the slip road to a junction I noticed the brake pedal had sunk.  Only working when pushed mostly to the floor.
So I CAREFULLY drove home, and pulled open the bonnet.  Now I notice that the idle is a bit lumpy (ery slightly judders when sitting in the car, which I think is made worse by the ridiculously loudexhaust)  The Maf sensor was obviously nearly new (and receipt).  I cleaned out the BCM filter, which had a small forest and about a kilo of compost in it, and now the engine seems to run slightly better, but still that slight judder.
I checked as many of the pipes for splits etc and all I can find is this....  Now I am no mechanic... just a guy with youtube, but isnt a lot of the brake pressure taken from a vacuum pipe?  Is it this one coming from brake cylinder?  The one that looks manky with gaffer tape holding it together?

Also could it be the PCV valve? Could this effect the idle ?Fluid full etc. 
Do you think the oil pressure problem is switch or the oil pick up pipe?

AND.... The passenger door will no longer open from the outside... tried the inside and out jiggling thing but no luck,,, Car will need an mot shortly and doubt they will even look at it if they can open the door?
Other than that fallen in love with the car, so any help would be gratfully appreciated.

Thank you

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
Re: Hi I am new and so is my car)to me)
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2017, 11:01 »
Could well be a vac issue especially if the power to the brakes is lost and the engine is running lumpy.

For your oil pressure, if you can get a code reader, check to see if the signal to the pressure sensor is intermittent. Otherwise it could be the pickup, or level. Check the oil level and it may be worth doing an oil and filter change in the meantime to see if things improve as it may be related to oil quality and age.

The stuck door, sometimes if someone has had to repair the door lock module, if the torx bolt which is accessed at the edge of the door is too tight, it can restrict the door from opening from the outside. If from the inside you can get the door open, then pop the cap off and slacken the torx a little. This torx if too tight grips the steel cable which goes to the outside handle. Look along the open edge if you can get it open, around the same level as the outer handle.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline Reebzluke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2017, 21:23 »
So my mate and I changed rear pads and disks, the front looks nearly new but bled all round.  Changed roll bar bushes old ones  where knackered.... the bar was actually touching the bracket.

Half way through an oil change and the filter is stuck.... literally stuck. I used a chain wrench and it just bent the filter rather than loosening.

Do will have to try in the morning.

Thanks for your help with handle.... that's sorted now :) a long but productive day
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 22:20 by Reebzluke »

Offline Reebzluke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2017, 16:22 »
So got the oil filter off and started to replace oil.

As this car is the gift that keeps giving while checking the oil level...: the dipstick housing has snapped in two places.... do you think this could be the cause of oil pressure warning?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2017, 16:35 »
So got the oil filter off and started to replace oil.

As this car is the gift that keeps giving while checking the oil level...: the dipstick housing has snapped in two places.... do you think this could be the cause of oil pressure warning?
They snap all the time the pressure warning is probably a blocked pickup pipe

Offline Reebzluke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2017, 17:35 »
I think so too.

Still getting a soft brake pedal, but the brakes still work well... if that makes sense.  The pedal is nowhere near the floor either.  I am wondering if just being picky as used to driving our 17plate as a main car?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2017, 17:40 »
I think so too.

Still getting a soft brake pedal, but the brakes still work well... if that makes sense.  The pedal is nowhere near the floor either.  I am wondering if just being picky as used to driving our 17plate as a main car?
Brakes might have something to do with sitting up for months too

Offline Reebzluke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2017, 19:33 »
I am sure I read somewhere once that a lbrake load valve or something similar could cause this?

Offline Reebzluke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2017, 21:35 »
Ok so I can't get a dipstick housing in time for not tomorrow... I have put a bung over the hole .... do they need to probe for emissions? Or can they go on engine temp?

Offline Reebzluke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2017, 21:08 »
Mot done... one advisory tyre will need changing soon, also oil pressure warning doesn't seem to be coming on since oil change, which is a bonus.

I can still hear a rattling so not sure what that is, but overall good job car cost next to nothing 120 quid on parts and a bit of elbow grease got a car I really like with a years ticket.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2017, 21:55 by Reebzluke »