Author Topic: Pre-collection car detailing.  (Read 4769 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Pre-collection car detailing.
« on: 27 July 2017, 11:36 »
I popped into the dealers to discuss the expected arrival of my new car. There was a brand new GTD in Atlantic Blue metallic which had just arrived. I immediately noticed the swirl marks in the rear quarter panel :shocked:

I have already asked if I can detail the car myself and they have agreed. They know what a fussy bugger I am :embarrassed:

I'm planning to go to the garage for a day to decontaminate, polish and wax the car. Though now I am nervous that I will leave swirl marks on the new paint :undecided:

I was planning on working with the products I already have. However, now I'm wondering if it will need more steps, more products or better products. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Wash and dry.

Decontamination - I have Concept tar and glue remover which I use to prep paint.

Wash and dry.

Polish - being new paint a light polish should be all that is needed. So was just going to use Autoglym SRP.

Wax - Bilt Hamber double speed wax. Easy to use and has lasted well.

Wheels - Collinite 845.

I'm wondering about using a DA polisher on new paint. Or is it better to apply by hand?

Do if I need something like Iron X and maybe a panel wipe? I have tried clay bars in the past and never noticed much difference. I guess it depends on the condition of the paint. Obviously I don't do these steps now and am happy with the results. :undecided:

I have a dozen autoglym micro fibre cloths and I'm going to purchase some new Megs wool wash mitts.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 14:58 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Pre-collection car detailing.
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2017, 13:10 »
I would stick to products you are familiar with rather than buy a whole bunch of new stuff.  You can expand or replace your stuff in the coming weeks/months and then by the time you next do a full detail you would be comfortable with any new products.

Definitely add an iron/fallout remover stage in as this is far more crucial than the tar remover stage on a new car which hasn't been driven on the roads, but which has been sat dockside collecting fallout.  So get some Iron X and do both decontamination stages.  Then check the paint by running fingertips over it with a plastic sandwich bag over your hand. This emphasises any remaining embedded contaminant and if glassy smooth then ok, if still rough (shouldn't be) then claying might be needed.  As you intend to polish, claying would be fine as the polishing will remove any marring left by the clay (normal).  Of course this adds extra time to your detail, and to be honest it's hard pushed to do a full detail in a single day, that's optimistic timing imo.

It's fine to DA the paint, after all, a pro new car detail would include a single stage polish.  Just a matter of choice really.  Panel Wipe is good for removing polish residue and preparing the paint for wax application, but adds yet more time as Panel Wipe needs applying then buffing, it's not a wipe on and leave on product.

Your wax choices look great.  Collinite is top stuff.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 13:18 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2017, 14:00 »
Daz Auto, particular, definitely not fussy. And why shouldn't you be? I wouldn't worry about your work, from what you've said it sounds like you'll do a very careful and good job. The garage would've just used a gritty sponge after all :shocked: Mine still hasn't been polished and was an ex demo so will have seen the sharp end of many a gritty sponge in it's first few months yet it still looks great when clean, TR seems to be quite forgiving.

Enjoy the process and don't forget the most important bit, lots of pictures :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2017, 14:12 »
Definitely add an iron/fallout remover stage in as this is far more crucial than the tar remover stage on a new car which hasn't been driven on the roads, but which has been sat dockside collecting fallout.  So get some Iron X and do both decontamination stages.

... and to be honest it's hard pushed to do a full detail in a single day, that's optimistic timing imo.

It's fine to DA the paint, after all, a pro new car detail would include a single stage polish.  Just a matter of choice really.  Panel Wipe is good for removing polish residue and preparing the paint for wax application, but adds yet more time as Panel Wipe needs applying then buffing, it's not a wipe on and leave on product.
Wow, what a fast reply. Thank you.

I'm going to order some Auto Finesse Iron Out.

I wasn't planning on going into to much detail. :huh: As it is new paint I was hoping that that not all stages will be required and they should not take too long. Though this will depend on the condition of the paint. I do like to use polish to remove any residue that may be left from the tar removal stage. Though maybe on a new car something like Bilt Hamber Cleanser Fluid would be a better prep for the LSP.

A year ago I didn't even know what LSP was and I had to look up DA polisher too :nerd: What have I gotten myself into! :rolleyes:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2017, 15:17 »
I have been reading about IPA, GT panel wipe, CP eraser and BH cleanser fluid. :nerd:

Then I went out to the garage and had a look - it is actually 5L of Concept Tar and Glue Remover I have - http://www.conceptchemicals.com/products/tar-and-glue-remover

"High performance solvent blend for rapid removal of road tar ‘spatter’. Quickly & easily removes tar, labels, sealant, adhesives, cavity wax residues, stubborn petroleum transit wax etc."

After using Tar and Glue remover - providing each panel is washed immediately - I don't think I would need to use IPA, panel wipe, eraser or cleanser fluid.

So...

Wash, dry, fallout remover.
Wash, dry, tar and glue remover. (panel at a time and wash)
Check paint - polish only if required.
Wax.

Might only need 3 steps.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 15:37 by Daz Auto »

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2017, 15:28 »
Daz Auto, particular, definitely not fussy. And why shouldn't you be? I wouldn't worry about your work, from what you've said it sounds like you'll do a very careful and good job...

Enjoy the process and don't forget the most important bit, lots of pictures :laugh:
Thanks. I do like to keep things simple. However, as someone on another forum pointed out preparation is far more important than last stage protection. No point in waxing or sealing a car that is covered in swirl marks.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2017, 17:48 »
I have been reading about IPA, GT panel wipe, CP eraser and BH cleanser fluid. :nerd:

Then I went out to the garage and had a look - it is actually 5L of Concept Tar and Glue Remover I have - http://www.conceptchemicals.com/products/tar-and-glue-remover

"High performance solvent blend for rapid removal of road tar ‘spatter’. Quickly & easily removes tar, labels, sealant, adhesives, cavity wax residues, stubborn petroleum transit wax etc."

After using Tar and Glue remover - providing each panel is washed immediately - I don't think I would need to use IPA, panel wipe, eraser or cleanser fluid.

So...

Wash, dry, fallout remover.
Wash, dry, tar and glue remover. (panel at a time and wash)
Check paint - polish only if required.
Wax.

Might only need 3 steps.

You'd only benefit from panel wipe et all if definitely polishing, in order to remove the residue polish oils to ensure a pristine clean base for wax, as that stage would be after your decontamination with the Concept, so polishing will see you add oils on after the cleansing stages. If not polishing, it's not needed. But tar remover and panel wipe are not the same thing.

You perhaps have an unnecessary stage in your list above.  After wash, dry, fallout, you only need to rinse the fallout remover off not wash the car again properly (maybe that's what you meant).  Then dry and apply tar remover.  As with your tar remover, only do a section at a time with iron remover, don't let it dry on as you'll end up with white streaks possibly.

Good prep is the key to everything and to achieving the best finish.  Good luck with it all.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 17:51 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2017, 23:16 »
When I prepped mine the parts with the most fallout was the rear bumper lip (this had a very visible amount of iron and felt like sandpaper) and the top of the panels directly below the windows. The roof and bonnet have wrap on so they will mostly be protected but it can't hurt to spritz the panels with fallout remover just to make sure. Don't forget to use it on the glass too!

When I took delivery of my car the paint was 99% perfect so there was no point in polishing, I just decontaminated and then waxed. I have noticed that the paint is quite hard compared to the Vauxhall that I came from and I have picked up little to no marring from around 8 washes. My old Corsa's paint would marr just by buffing polish off which was extremely frustrating and I eventually just gave up on it and even started to let the dealership wash it towards the end of my ownership, needless to say the paintwork was horrendous when I got rid of it.