Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362454 times)

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
Hi all,

I've searched for an answer to this particular question but can't seem to find it(unless I've scanned past it).  :smiley:

I have a July 2012 GTi with what appears to be the latest revision of the tensioner.  I check through the inspection hole on the timing chain housing.

My question being, if the revised part is fitted are they still likely to fail and has there been any cases of the new tensioner failing?

I'm just coming up to 52k and wondering if I should still get it changed.  Apart from a slight rattle on cold start up that lasts about a second, the car doesn't demonstrate any other symptoms.  My VW dealer says this is normal as it would last longer if the tensioner was the cause but it's still sits in my mind that it could be an early warning sign.

Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.  :smiley:

Thanks
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP, DSG, Indium Grey, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Brescia’s

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Hmmm not sure mate to be honest..

Mine rattled on cold starts only for a few seconds, a bit like a chain slapping off metal. At this point the oil pressure builds and pulls it tight so to say it would last longer by the dealer I would be sceptical.

Also this WAS NOT always there and started to happen, you know your car and so if this is a new sound then it's possible it's on it's way out

For reference mine broke about 4 x weeks later!

That being said however I'm yet to hear of the new revised ones going and so thought this issue was resolved so maybe nothing to worry about.

I would personally have VW make reference to it that you have raised this as a concern and they have told you it's normal, perhaps also speak with VWUK (That's what I did) then if it does go you can say 'told you so' you ignored my concerns and gives you a bit of weight. OR you fix it off your own back circa £500 for peace of mind BUT there may be nothing wrong.

VW certainly won't cover this and with mine they even refused to do this work for it's a non serviceable part so would ned to be 3rd party (unless this stance has changed of course) mine popped about 2 years back now!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline ShaunV90

• Not said much yet
My 59 plate GTi is currently on 99K with zero symptoms(touch wood). I never got much history with the car other than fully stamped service book. Am I naive to think it has already been done and I shouldn't worry? I'm still waiting on my V5 but I may be cheeky and contact the previous owner to see if they had it done(they may even be on here).

I've been skimming through this thread while in work so forgive me if I have missed anything. What parts would I  need to order from VW if I want peace of mind? I was quoted £47.20 from a local VW dealers parts dept for the tensioner alone.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
My 59 plate GTi is currently on 99K with zero symptoms(touch wood). I never got much history with the car other than fully stamped service book. Am I naive to think it has already been done and I shouldn't worry? I'm still waiting on my V5 but I may be cheeky and contact the previous owner to see if they had it done(they may even be on here).

I've been skimming through this thread while in work so forgive me if I have missed anything. What parts would I  need to order from VW if I want peace of mind? I was quoted £47.20 from a local VW dealers parts dept for the tensioner alone.
http://shopdap.com/2-0t-vw-and-audi-tsi-timing-chain-tensioner-problems/

With 99k the chains probably stretched abit so a full kit including chain and guides as shown on the above link would be recommended.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2017, 21:51 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Cosmokramer

• Just got here
Hi all,

My 2009 mk6 GTI DSG just snapped its chain tensioner. The car had 81,000 miles on it and I did notice a small rattle on start up. But this was only for the precious 5 or so starts. I thought it was a bit strange but didn't think too much of it. Drove home from work and all ok. Next day it wouldn't start. Towed to VW where they diagnosed failed chain tensioner with the engine showing no compression. They wanted £1,600 to do more diagnostics before confirming final outcome. However, they said best case would be an additional £3-4k to repair or worst case replacement engine at a quoted £7k. The VW technician is pretty positive it would be the latter. VW also suggested trading in for between £3-4k. I won't be buying another VW. I did complain to VW UK and also the local dealership. They basically told me where I can shove it. A mechanic friend has said he can source and fit a second hand engine for around £2k. Somebody else has offered to buy the car as is for £4k. I think the car would be worth approx £8.5k if in working order. What do you guys think the best option is? I have lost faith with the car now and want rid of it and I am only interested in trying to salvage as much £ out of this situation as possible. If I had another engine fitted, would this create a paper trail and thus bring down the value of a potential sale anyway?

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
We have another CCZ engine available which has been overhauled with fresh genuine VW timing chains, guides and tensioner, new valves and the head stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. £2250 fitted including VAT comes with 6 months warranty.

Contact midlandvw@aol.com or 01543 495700

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Hi all,

I've searched for an answer to this particular question but can't seem to find it(unless I've scanned past it).  :smiley:

I have a July 2012 GTi with what appears to be the latest revision of the tensioner.  I check through the inspection hole on the timing chain housing.

My question being, if the revised part is fitted are they still likely to fail and has there been any cases of the new tensioner failing?

I'm just coming up to 52k and wondering if I should still get it changed.  Apart from a slight rattle on cold start up that lasts about a second, the car doesn't demonstrate any other symptoms.  My VW dealer says this is normal as it would last longer if the tensioner was the cause but it's still sits in my mind that it could be an early warning sign.

Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.  :smiley:

Thanks

I personally think it should be changed every 3-4 years or when hearing daily rattles.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Interesting article about timing chains and why they fail and preventative maintenance - frequent oil changes and disabling the stop-start?!!! http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/timing-chain-tips/
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Thought I'd reply to this post so people have a bit of an update on prices etc.

I just picked my car up from LVS AG near Lincoln after having the timing chain and tensioner replaced with the latest revisions as a preventative measure. Tensioner was still fine for me but I was having some noise at start up which I believe can be attributed to chain stretch. I checked measuring block 93 using VCDS and found that I was out of the spec suggested on some forums so booked it in to get replaced as soon as I could. For reference these are the topics I was referring to:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7995554-Chain-Stretch-Limit
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/432610-timing-chain-vcds-measurement/.
I was seeing a value of -4.94 in block 93 before replacement. I'll update this post with my new value once I've had a chance to hook the car up.

Total cost for the work was £872.61. That includes 6.5 hours labour coming in at £468 and then the rest (£404.61) in parts which I will list:

06K 109 158 AD - Timing Chain - £61.08 + VAT
06K 109 467 K - Chain Tensioner - £40.09 + VAT
06H 109 469 AP - Rail (Chain Guide) - £7.75 + VAT
06H 109 509 Q - Rail (Chain Guide) - £12.24 + VAT
06H 109 469 T - Rail (Chain Guide) - £7.09 + VAT
06J 115 403 Q - Oil Filter - £13.24 + VAT
06H 103 483 D - Gasket - £11.58 + VAT
06L 103 085 B - Seal - £6.17 + VAT
D 174 003 M2 - Timing Cover Sealant - £32.90 + VAT
D 154 103 A1 - Sealant - £63.18 + VAT
06H 103 483 C - Gasket - £20.09 + VAT
06H 103 121 J - Gasket - £6.66 + VAT
WHT 007 212 B - Seal Ring - £3.02 + VAT
06H 109 257 C - Camshaft Control Valve - £40.89 + VAT
1K0 201 160 BG - Breather Pipe - £11.18 + VAT

Car feels much better for having had the work done, quiet start up, seems like it picks up better and of course the peace of mind that it's done!
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 12:11 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline joe6

• I live here
That's a very useful post Seabrook132 particularly the links and part numbers. Notice you did not replace the timing gears with the chains. Presumably they were not worn? I noticed that quite a few kits in the USA come with timing gears in the package.

I am on 67k and although no apparent rattles was wondering about needing to do this shortly. Being able to use VCDS to check is great.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.