Author Topic: TIM20 - mk2 vr6 project  (Read 4545 times)

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
TIM20 - mk2 vr6 project
« on: 15 June 2006, 21:45 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline TIM20

• GTI forum regular
Re: TIM20 - mk2 vr6 project
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2006, 22:46 »
Hello every one, a quick intro

I currently have a mk2 16 v as a daily car, real nice nick etc

I wanted to do a mk2 vr6 mk2 but the gti was simply too original and nice to start butchering and i needed to keep a car on the road fore the duration of the  project

So i went out a bought a £250 1.6 driver 3dr, it had some rust on the doors a dent in the rear 3/4 pannel and smelt like wet dogs!!!! BUT apart from that the shell was really straight

So bought it got it home, and went back up to newcastle to complete my final year uni exams

Whith those all over now the butchering, oh sorry project began!!

So the poor little driver that really didn't know what hit it

So the strip down process, you can just see the rear of the GTI

fidly interior plastics out

Dash out

Bonnet off to make like easy

still looks like a car, not for long

engine out time, just took the whole front off its easier and im lazy

engine out

more coming in a sec

[

Offline TIM20

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2006, 23:00 »
Right the next stage of thew process was to get all of the running gear off the car so i had a completely bare shell to deal with, to allow me to address any rust issues, roll the rear arches, remove the dents, underseal the whole car, run new brake/fuel lines etc etc (the list goes on and on)

so i borrowed (permently) so wheli bin wheels from out side my uni flat to use as castors and set about constructing to heath robinson style runner boards, and the results

sub frame off

fuel tank off

right with that all sorted the cleaning process could begin, a qick engine bay clean

it really wasnt that quick, took bloody hours to remove all the wax rust proofer, ah well i would be moaning more if it was all rusty

So now sat on my drive it its full glory, not sure how the new wheels will come with the vr6 in but will see, corners might be interesting

next was cutting a bit of rust out of the rear valance and welding a new bit in

would show you my welding but it a bit like a ten to 2.00am, not prety but does the job!!

next stage was to remove the nasty sound proofing carpet/mat/inside of dads old slipper that was stuck to the dash, basically involved lots of time with the grinder/wire wheels and petrol

Also took the sun roof out

right thats it for now, i have done loads more but putting the pics up takes time, watch this space for more

Comments etc are welcome, would prefer it if people could keep abuse to the minimum though!

Night

Tim
[

Offline TIM20

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2006, 23:13 »
Well i have done some more on the car in the last couple of days

Firstly i have rolled the rear arches as i want to run 8J wheels and lower the car a fair bit

The rears are a double skin so i couldn't just cut the lip off like other vehicles.  So to get rid of the lip thats on the horizontal, where the tyre would rub i did the following

1, got the grinder out (oh the fun) and took any patches of surface rust off the lips (was only about two bits)

2. then got the POR15 (great stuff) out, e treated the rusty areas and left it do dry

3. i put a cutting disk on the grinder and made cuts around the radius of the arch, avoiding the spot welds about 3" apart

4, i then hammered the horizontal section the the arch upright, so removing the lip

5, to prevent any future rusting i then liberally coated the inner surface with hammerite smooth black paint (which i got covered in and wont come off my hands)

Once the hammerits was dry i coated the area with a mastic sealent, which i smoothed off with a body filler spreader, with was to prevent water fron sitting in the gaps (stopping rust)

Once all this was dry i then coated the lot in hammerite under car underseal

So hopefully it wont rust

I have also started to underseal the main body of the car, i have done sections with no rust imperfections but left bits with rust for tomorrow when i will grind them back and POR15 them and reseal

I want the car to be perfect to i have also dropped off all of the plastic fule line and brake line holder off, so they don't get covered in underseal and can be cleaned

I have also drpped off the exhaust hangers which i plant to clean up and then treat to a coat of shiney new black paint, againg unnecessary but i want to do it so it all looks like new

To be honest he underside is so clean it probable doesnt need re doing but it serves two purposes

1, looks good and means i have no fututre rust /MOT fail problems

2, hides any original blue paint on the underside of the car, as i think having a ***** colour top and blue underside and wheel arches looks like you couldn't be bothered to do the job correctly and ultimatly devalues the vehicle

Well off for my bueaty sleep now, but will post up the pics tomorrow

Tim
[