Author Topic: Dizzie - mk2 20v turbo  (Read 32878 times)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: Dizzie - mk2 20v turbo
« Reply #100 on: 02 March 2006, 21:42 »
1st March 2006

Took the old girl up to DUBusiness in Pontyclun where Gareth worked his magic and changed over the wheel bearing which had been so bad the wheel wobbled quite a lot on the car. The hub was also worn a lot so we changed that too.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #101 on: 11 March 2006, 17:20 »
11th March 2006

Seeing as I was overtaking on monday afternoon and as I shifted to 5th there was a horrible munching of metal noise and total lose of power delivery. After being towed home we diagnosed the problem as the diff had been shafted...

A quick trawl round the various forums for another 'box turned up a G60 one which was recently rebuilt 5000 miles ago. At the handsome price of £150 this was the 'box of choice. Also the G60 ratios are apparrently the best suited to the 20vT engine.

Just got back from collecting it and gave it a good power wash to get the grime off it. The plan it to get it painted up before it's fitted next saturday. :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #102 on: 12 March 2006, 23:43 »
12th March 2006

so after the diff committing suicide on monday I needed another gearbox to replace it. I had never been happy with the ratios on the box that I've had since the 20vT conversion as they were a bit short and in 5th doing 80mph the engine would be sat at 4000rpm. A tad high to keep like that for an hour on the motorway.

Picked up a nice G60 gearbox for the nice price of 150 notes and it had been rebuilt 5000 miles ago so hopefully it's a good 'un.

Well after a quick soak with the pressure washer and being left to dry over night it was time to get painting. There's nothing worse than a grimey gearbox and a pot of hammerite paint from B&Q is only £5 and there's enough to paint 20 gearboxes in there!

anyway. Here's the pic of what my gearbox is looking like now. I'll be flipping it over and painting the underneath tomorrow as it takes ages to dry in these cold days. I'd removed the brackets as it made painting them and the bits around them easier. Aswell as the hydraulic clutch bit which was still attached.

Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #103 on: 10 April 2006, 22:26 »
10th April 2006

Well it's a sad time for my little baby. Over the weekend I was stripping the interior completely out of her. Every little bit is coming out before the shell is scrapped.  :cry:

After work today I was up there again. Removed the 20vT engine completely aswell as a few other bits and bobs. Over the next week I'll be steam cleaning the engine off and rebuilding it ready for it to drop into the edition one.

I'll post the last pic of the car before it's gone forever  :cry:
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #104 on: 15 April 2006, 19:24 »
13th April 2006

The car was finally completely stripped to a shell and collected on Thursday the 13th of April.

A bit of a sad day as I have owned and loved her for the last 4 and a half years. R.I.P.
Mk4 Golf 150PD