Author Topic: How to Change the boot handle / lock - Rusty boot handle How To  (Read 24619 times)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
If your wash wipe was leaking you may have rust appearing around the edges of your boot handle, if you have you need to sort this ASAP as the rust will travel on to the tailgate itself.

Rusty handle

The new handle is part number 1J6 827 565 B it comes in primer and you will need to paint / get it painted it body colour. I had a rattle can mixed up and it was spot on.

Here mine after paint

You need to remove the boot trim there are two screws one in each handle then there are push clips which need quite a bit of force to remove.

With the trim removed next remove the three T20 torx screws holding the handle in place.

Unclip the two metal rods and then lever metal clip away from the barrel using a flat blade screwdriver (shown in the top of the red ring in this pic)

If it's never been out before it will need soaking in WD40 as it can sieze up in the groove. You should now be able to tap out the barrel.The barrel has to come out before the handle does.

You should now end up with these parts

You may find some corrosion on the edge of the tailgate you should now sand this back and paint it to stop any further corrosion.

Refit in reverse order.
If your boot lock is badly corroded or seized you may need to replace it. A new lock is £42.88 from TPS and comes with new barrel and everything needed it is part number 1J6827297G.

Check out how bad mine was with just a tap it fell apart!  :shocked:

Mine went form this :

To this:

The writer of this guide and GolfGTI.co.uk accept no responsibility of damage to your car when using this guide. Use at your own risk.

« Last Edit: 08 May 2012, 14:40 by richw911 »

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.