Author Topic: Race mode  (Read 2210 times)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Race mode
« on: 09 November 2019, 13:33 »
Can anyone explain in simple terms what race mode does on the R?
It sounds great.
Thanks.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Re: Race mode
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2019, 13:57 »
The same as sport mode in the GTi  - sharper throttle response, more noise, holds the gears for longer ( and so more aggressive shifts ).

Will also make subtle booms / pops when you lift off

It’s a lot louder than sport mode, is that the only real difference?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2019, 14:13 »
It’s fake so can be turned off in individual mode.

For me, it sharpens the throttle response so you don’t have a dead inch at the top Which brings the car to life and the booms / pops and nice ( disclaimer ...if you like that sort of thing )

Wouldn’t you just put it in sport mode to do that?

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2019, 14:20 »
Because the R doesn’t have sport mode. It has Race mode ( it’s the same thing as I said )

It certainly does have Sport mode. You can go between drive and sport mode to do the same thing then, minus the noise!

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2019, 18:04 »
I always understood the race mode opened the exhaust flap (more noise!!!) in the R over and above the sport mode.
Just to add there is no flap in the exhaust of the GTi/PP to open even when in sport mode

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2019, 20:03 »
I always understood the race mode opened the exhaust flap (more noise!!!) in the R over and above the sport mode.
Just to add there is no flap in the exhaust of the GTi/PP to open even when in sport mode

I think that’s what happens on the Audi RS models.
It would make sense.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2019, 08:42 »
Because the R doesn’t have sport mode. It has Race mode ( it’s the same thing as I said )

It certainly does have Sport mode. You can go between drive and sport mode to do the same thing then, minus the noise!

You're getting a little confused.

R Driving modes - Ind, Race, Normal and Eco (and Comfort if you have DCC).

Then you can flick the gearbox between D and S - which you can do in any of the above modes.

GTI doesn't have Race but has a Sport driving mode instead. Slightly confusing.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2019, 10:26 »

You're getting a little confused.

R Driving modes - Ind, Race, Normal and Eco (and Comfort if you have DCC).

Then you can flick the gearbox between D and S - which you can do in any of the above modes.

GTI doesn't have Race but has a Sport driving mode instead. Slightly confusing.

Oh I see! I’ve not owned a Golf since 2005, so it’s a steep learning curve  :grin: