Author Topic: Mk7 GTI Factory Sound Systems  (Read 7906 times)

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
Mk7 GTI Factory Sound Systems
« on: 03 November 2019, 14:12 »
Hi all I’m new to the forum. Currently drive an A3 8P 1.4 TFSI and have decided my next car will be a Mk7 GTI. Budget restricts me to 2013/2014 models.

I’ve been doing my research but one thing I can’t find much info on is the stock sound system. I’m no audiophile but do like decent sound. My A3 has 8 speakers and a sub in the boot (not Bose). Is it the same on the GTI?

Many thanks.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Mk7 GTI Factory Sound Systems
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2019, 14:33 »
Buy a car with Dynaudio fitted  :smiley:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2019, 15:08 »
Welcome.  :smiley:

The standard system is 8x normal paper-cone speakers with a standard 4x20w (80w max power) output driven from the headunit (Discover or Discover Pro).

Dynaudio is 400w (max power) sent over 9x speakers (8 speakers plus a sub), powered via a separate Dynaudio amp, not the headhunt. The front and rear speakers are 2-way sets (dual soft-dome tweeters and magnesium mid drivers), and the sub in the boot is a coil dual-voice.

If you like your music then Dynaudio is a must IMO, the difference is night and day.

HTH
« Last Edit: 03 November 2019, 15:59 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2019, 18:00 »
As above tbh. I had a Dynaudio and standard equipped cars side by side so can tell you the standard system isn’t actually that bad but the Dynaudio is a very noticeable worthwhile upgrade. So if you can find one with it then it's certainly worth it. It’s nice having the sub in the spare wheel well as it’s out the way.

However I would say that if you can’t find one with it then it’s never too difficult to upgrade the stick speakers and put in your own amp to run them.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2019, 18:48 »
If you opt to go for the standard speakers there used to be a sub you could buy separate through VW accessories called something like Plug & Play. This sub from what I can remember was a similar idea to the sub which comes with Dynaudio and also goes inside the spare space saver wheel.

I personally have Dynaudio in my car and I would not go without it.  Some others will tell you different.  It comes down to how much you like your music and whether you like the sound quality provided by Dynaudio over the standard speaker system. 

The difference I found was a greater clarity of sound at a higher volume with Dynaudio over the standard sound system.  The bass is good but depends on how low the bass goes on your music and whether it is out of the frequency range the sub can manage, in which case it will clip it a bit so you don't get the full effect of the bass as with most other consumer sound systems. 

If you opt to go for Dynaudio you will also have to setup a custom EQ as even though the preset EQ's are good, for some genres of music they are not quite 100% on the midtones etc,.  But if you manage to setup the EQ right as found another thread in this forum the sound provided by Dynaudio is really good and as mentioned earler in this thread it is night and day (especially in clarity at a higher volume). 

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2019, 19:40 »
I came from an A3 (2015 8V rather than the 8P though). It had the stock Audi system. I had Bose in a previous car (Audi TT) so spec’d Dynaudio for the GTI. It’s fairly decent. It sits somewhere between the Audi Sound System (what Audi call their mid-range setup) and Bose/B&O. To be fair, I think it’s only a notch or two below B&O due to the absence of the central speaker on the dash which you get with Audi. It still does a good job at surround sound though. Definitely get it if you can.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2019, 20:25 »
Cheers guys, very helpful information there. As I’m already quite restricted by my budget (around £12k), I don’t think I have much chance in finding one with Dynaudio!

Does the standard system have decent bass, if any? I guess without a sub it will be quite poor.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2019, 20:42 »
Depends if you are looking for building shattering base... The system is OK for most music IMHO. Probably not McDonald's car park base levels but certainly not rubbish. Dynaudio is better.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2019, 20:53 »
Agree with Fred. The standard system is fine unless you're wanting to split your ear drums. Only at higher volumes does it struggle.

You cab always add a sub later if you find it lacking.

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/SPC-600G7
7.5 GTD

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2019, 13:27 »
Also remember you can retrofit the Helix sub woofer for an improvement on the standard system.

Don't know how good it is but a definite improvement on standard - you may miss out on some of the improved clarity of the Dynaudio system but worth it if you want to get the rest of the spec right an a 2nd hand car.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!