Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 2419 times)

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Headlights
« on: 31 October 2019, 21:34 »
Driving home down the M4 in the dark tonight (don't ya love it when the clocks change) I noticed that with the dipped beam headlights on it looked as if they were coming on bright then going dark, then a few seconds later they'd go bright again...the result was several people thought I was coming up behind them and flashing them to move over through a 50 zone!

I assume this is one (or both) of the Xenons on it's last legs? Anyone experienced similar?
If it's the Xenons at fault, I'm under the impression this is not as simple as changing a normal headlight bulb...?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Greig
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2019, 21:59 »
I replaced mine a few months ago, 3-4 years life seems normal. Bought oem ones from abd online for about £90. Fitting was a bit of a pita but definitely doable. Front grill needs to come off and bumper loosened then you can remove the headlights. Tricky bit was unclipping the bumper adjacent to the wing which involves a very hard pull to the point where you think something is going to break! There is a bolt behind the bumper holding the headlight in place so it is a must. Took me a few hours and lots of swearing but would be much quicker now knowing how to do it. Plenty of advice and videos online plus in the MK7 how to section above. Good luck!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2019, 22:34 »
Thanks Watts, sounds like a ball-ache. Let me know what time Sunday you'll be over to help  :wink:
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2019, 09:34 »
Thanks Watts, sounds like a ball-ache. Let me know what time Sunday you'll be over to help  :wink:

Most of it is really staightforward, it's just detaching the bumper, you've got to be quite determined! Sunday, hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'm booked in for a pedicure and a perm....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2019, 10:40 »
I did a "how to" a long time ago on here, although the photo's have fallen off as I hosted them with photobucket and they tightened up what you can host on there etc.

I removed the bumper (well, all the top fixings and just rested the front edge on a blanket) and tehn the headlights are a couple of bolts, however I've since heard that you can get to them just by taking the wheelarch liner out (and not removing the headlight) so I'm not sure you need to any more.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2019, 10:53 »
Isn't the hatch in the wheel arch to let you change the bulbs?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2019, 10:56 »
Actually, maybe not, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/beHsZMxiKHs
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2019, 20:03 »
Thanks guys. Bulbs ordered so a job for next weekend (hopefully it won't be pissing it down)

I found your thread Gnasher- thanks for the heads up - shame the pics are lost!

Cheers!

Greig
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2019, 15:50 »
Well that was a horrible job - over 3 hours in total. Rain held off today so that helped but don't want to be doing that again in a hurry!

1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2019, 16:04 »
Well that was a horrible job - over 3 hours in total. Rain held off today so that helped but don't want to be doing that again in a hurry!

You should've said, I was at a loose end today too and could've helped :wink: :whistle: :laugh:

3 hours sounds about right from when I did mine. Yes a complete pita but at least some self satisfaction, some useful knowledge on how the car is put together and a good pile of cash saved..
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.