Author Topic: Do I Need To Get Battery Replaced By Dealer?  (Read 12926 times)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Do I Need To Get Battery Replaced By Dealer?
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2019, 16:48 »
SOC isn't to be relied on. Mine showed 80% and the next day it was dead. £130 later a new AMG battery fixed it. Not used SOC since.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2019, 18:39 »
Am also thinking about purchasing a Battery Charger to charge the battery in my Golf R over winter months as I also do few miles in my Golf and even then the time period of the miles I do are irregular and not often enough to charge the battery as much as i would like.

I was thinking of purchasing a CTEK MXS 5.0, would you recommend this charger or is there something else which is more suitable for the type of battery in the Golf R? 

Also what is the best method to connect the charger to the battery in my Golf R?  The reason i ask is because I have seen while browsing that someone on another forum mentioned that the charger should not be connected directly to the negative terminal , instead it should be connected to the head on a terminal monitor connected to the negative terminal? Could someone clarify the best practice of connecting the battery charger to the battery in a Golf R so I don't cause any errors or incorrect readings for the monitor. 

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 04 November 2019, 16:13 »
Connect the positive lead directly to the battery + terminal and the negative lead of the charger to the negative  metal plate mounted behind the battery. This way the charging current goes through the battery monitor installed of the battery negative terminal.

My GTI is past 3 years old and sometimes the battery shows signs of age also but I also have a hardwired dash cam which records while parked as well. When I don't use the car for more than 2 days I usually plug it into a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2019, 20:01 »
Connect the positive lead directly to the battery + terminal and the negative lead of the charger to the negative  metal plate mounted behind the battery. This way the charging current goes through the battery monitor installed of the battery negative terminal.

My GTI is past 3 years old and sometimes the battery shows signs of age also but I also have a hardwired dash cam which records while parked as well. When I don't use the car for more than 2 days I usually plug it into a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up.

Excellent choice of charger there Bren, may I recommend you also buy the cigarette lighter socket lead https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/connect-cig-plug and then make your sockets permanently live by moving this fuse slightly. Makes life much easier to put the battery on charge without having to open the bonnet.

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline CSS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2019, 09:52 »
Am also thinking about purchasing a Battery Charger to charge the battery in my Golf R over winter months as I also do few miles in my Golf and even then the time period of the miles I do are irregular and not often enough to charge the battery as much as i would like.

I was thinking of purchasing a CTEK MXS 5.0, would you recommend this charger or is there something else which is more suitable for the type of battery in the Golf R? 

Also what is the best method to connect the charger to the battery in my Golf R?  The reason i ask is because I have seen while browsing that someone on another forum mentioned that the charger should not be connected directly to the negative terminal , instead it should be connected to the head on a terminal monitor connected to the negative terminal? Could someone clarify the best practice of connecting the battery charger to the battery in a Golf R so I don't cause any errors or incorrect readings for the monitor.

I have had the CTEK for along time now.  Really beneficial especially if you leave you car for long periods without use.  Mine packed up earlier this year and it was replaced FOC within its 5 year guarantee - very impressed.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2019, 10:54 »
Thanks for the info guys.  I took my car to VW yesterday and apparently the battery test showed my battery was defective, so I now have a new battery fitted.  It wasn't on warranty so I also had to pay for it.  On the Ctek Charger subject, I found out if you want to buy one don't order through amazon as it cause issues with warranty claims. Instead from reviews on amazon it states to order it through anywhere else except amazon to get full benefit of warranty

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2019, 11:20 »
Mine's on charge now...  :smiley:

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2019, 14:44 »
Hi

Halfords do AGM stop/start battery replacement, and update the software to register the new battery.

I'm not sure how this would be viewed if the car is under warranty, but for £185 all in it sounds much cheaper than getting VW to do it. They have other sizes of battery in their range.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/halfords--096agm-start-stop-agm-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee

Martin
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline Spud122

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 11 November 2019, 15:33 »
I've just replaced mine, May 2016.

Got a Bosch S5A 08 AGM  from Battery Megastore for £126.52 inc delivery on a Discount Code.
Battery removed is a SeBang - Korean EFB type dated 12-16 so end of March.
I think the OEM battery is definitely spec'd on price, as long as it lasts 3 years VW are in the clear. :angry:
Changing battery took about 30 mins, including the coding with OBD11.
No adverse effects from change without piggy back power.
Dash was like a christmas tree on power up, but all cleared no issues and error codes cleared.
Only lost the trip mileage all other settings, codings etc intack.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2019, 14:50 »
Hi

Halfords do AGM stop/start battery replacement, and update the software to register the new battery.

I'm not sure how this would be viewed if the car is under warranty, but for £185 all in it sounds much cheaper than getting VW to do it. They have other sizes of battery in their range.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/halfords--096agm-start-stop-agm-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee

Martin

£125.60 if you know anyone with a trade card.  :wink: