Author Topic: GTI - Replacement Water pump/Thermostat  (Read 6420 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTI - Replacement Water pump/Thermostat
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2019, 17:28 »
What a load of nonsense. As long as genuine parts have been used and it's been serviced at the correct schedule  then a dealer should have no reason to offer 1k less on a part exchange.

They only sell Das Welt Auto and that is dependent on the service history being on VW's system.

Whilst anyone can do service work (using genuine VW parts) and not void the warranty, they can't update the VW electronic service record...

Whether you like that or not, that is how they run that scheme.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2019, 23:24 »
What a load of nonsense. As long as genuine parts have been used and it's been serviced at the correct schedule  then a dealer should have no reason to offer 1k less on a part exchange.

They only sell Das Welt Auto and that is dependent on the service history being on VW's system.

Whilst anyone can do service work (using genuine VW parts) and not void the warranty, they can't update the VW electronic service record...

Whether you like that or not, that is how they run that scheme.

I think it's got more to do with the dealership not wanting a 5.5 year old car on their forecourt and so would look to send it to auction or pass to a used car contact that deals with older cars.

Das Welt is an approved used car scheme with the dealership network. They will provide some kind of warranty with the car sale, that's at their risk/cost if the car is beyond factory warranty or will be when the new buyer has had it a year, regardless of who last serviced it.

This all electronic service record is to the detriment of the consumer, it ties them to the dealership network to dispose of the car as they essentially have no proof of a service record outside that network (harder to negotiate a private sale) - it should be illegal under consumer law not to provide a physical service record.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2019, 01:54 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2019, 06:42 »
Matt, I'm sure our local dealership won't entertain anything three years and over so you're spot on.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2019, 07:40 »
This all electronic service record is to the detriment of the consumer, it ties them to the dealership network to dispose of the car as they essentially have no proof of a service record outside that network (harder to negotiate a private sale) - it should be illegal under consumer law not to provide a physical service record.

My 7.5 GTD was one of the first without a service book. I was concerned about resale outside of the VW dealer network, so I asked for and got a service book.

Both the book and the computer are updated.

Apparently VW will give you a printout from their service system, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone wouldn't accept that or knocked down the price because of it... just because.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2019, 13:03 »
Matt, I'm sure our local dealership won't entertain anything three years and over so you're spot on.

When my Dad got his MK7 GTD in 2013, he was chopping in a 2006 GT TDI170 with 135000 miles on the clock. Mick really didn't want it. Gave my Dad £6k allowance for it and sent it straight to auction.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2019, 13:10 »
63 GTI PP 26,000 miles done ,just had mine changed by main dealer after EPC light coming on,quoted £984,eventually got it down to £650.Fuel pump was done about a year ago after it started leaking at 20,000 miles cost about £250.Shocking build quality on early MK7 GTI PP imo.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2019, 13:41 »
My pump went about 6 months or so ago- the pump was £335 from VW (couldnt seem to find anyone else who had them in stock) then about 20 quid or so for other bits (coolent etc) then my pal fitted it for me for £100.

They have modified the replacement pumps-old one was all plastic,the new ones have a steel body and impellor I think now.