Author Topic: R v GTI PP Residuals and running costs  (Read 6282 times)

Offline darcygr

• Just got here
Re: R v GTI PP Residuals and running costs
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2019, 09:30 »
Remap ~ £1k

Are people paying 1000 quid to remap these????? :shocked:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2019, 14:52 »
I purchased a 2014 PP golf last week in Northern Ireland, moved from a 2001 s3

Love how new it feels and the technology, looks, style. But Christ do I wish I stayed 4wd.  It had brand new Pirelli tyres and no matter what, it spins taking off, wet or dry, and it slides going into corners at speeds my s3 would just take off in.

I was looking at golf r’s, there’s one beside me in Dublin and only has 6k miles on it. But weighing up petrol costs, tax costs, insurance, having to service the rear diff oil, haldex, then registration tax in Ireland, unfortunately it just was a bit over budget for me at the minute. I also hear they’re not exactly 100% reliable. (Could be wrong)

If I had the choice, now, after driving my gti golf for a week. I’d stick with my old s3 or if I had to change car I’d go with a golf r or s3. Just because the Quattro is night and day to FWD.

PFA

The Quattro is night and day if you drive like a tit in the wet.
If you’re sliding then the 4wd will slide too, thats tyre grip not related to traction.
The chassis and VAQ diff of the GTI are quite up to the task on a standard car. You will need to learn how to get the best out of the VAQ though. Progressive throttle and it’ll power through bends like a mid engined car. Less understeer than an R and has more advanced traction control than the 4wd car.

I’ve had a GTI PP both standard and modified, an R likewise and a Clubsport.
Surprise surprise but the GTI’s don’t fall off the road! You might have bought the wrong car for your driving style.

I don’t wear GTI blinkers either, I prefer the R myself.
The GTi is more than capable on UK roads though. Maybe it just doesn’t suit your driving style as it would easily match an older S3 (both standard) at sane road speeds.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 27 October 2019, 15:10 »
That’s the most sense I have heard on any car forum  for a long time  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 27 October 2019, 15:59 »

The Quattro is night and day if you drive like a tit in the wet.
If you’re sliding then the 4wd will slide too, thats tyre grip not related to traction.
The chassis and VAQ diff of the GTI are quite up to the task on a standard car. You will need to learn how to get the best out of the VAQ though. Progressive throttle and it’ll power through bends like a mid engined car. Less understeer than an R and has more advanced traction control than the 4wd car.

I’ve had a GTI PP both standard and modified, an R likewise and a Clubsport.
Surprise surprise but the GTI’s don’t fall off the road! You might have bought the wrong car for your driving style.

I don’t wear GTI blinkers either, I prefer the R myself.
The GTi is more than capable on UK roads though. Maybe it just doesn’t suit your driving style as it would easily match an older S3 (both standard) at sane road speeds.
[/quote]

The worst thing about an R/S3 is it makes sh!t drivers look good. A GTI PP in the right hands won't be far behind

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 27 October 2019, 16:32 »
That’s the most sense I have heard on any car forum  for a long time  :smiley: :smiley:

Agreed, great post. With “ progressive throttle”  you can go very very fast in the Gti- for me, that’s the fun of driving it, though it is a less capable car than the R
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 27 October 2019, 19:35 »
I have a standard  mk  7 GTI no pp and its I have to say a better car than im a driver ! and the roads here are narrow and limited opportunity to push it .

there I said it

I am far happier and pushing the envelope
 on a bike  but I know my driving ability and the GTI is fine
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 28 October 2019, 10:21 »
Remap ~ £1k

Are people paying 1000 quid to remap these????? :shocked:

For ECU and TCU remapping from someone like APR or Revo then its in the region of £1300 I believe.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 31 October 2019, 23:52 »
Yeah,  a concern with buying a 2nd hand car like this
is how it's been handled. We can check servicing, condition etc, but can never be certain it hasn't been redlined each day from cold.

That's why I've ended up putting off buying one before. Its tempting to buy one new, especially as car wow had several dealerships offering new r's (with no options) for slightly under 31k last month. GTI pp for 28.5k.

Issue with buying new is I park each working day in a public car park, so would be more concerned owith dings compared to an older one. Depreciation will probably be pretty brutal, although looking at 2017 r' at vw dealerships, they're going for roughly 25k, so not a great deal of saving there.

What dealers are offering a brand new R at £31k???
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2019, 09:36 »
is how it's been handled. We can check servicing, condition etc, but can never be certain it hasn't been redlined each day from cold.

That's why I've ended up putting off buying one before. Its tempting to buy one new, especially as car wow had several dealerships offering new r's (with no options) for slightly under 31k last month. GTI pp for 28.5k.

Issue with buying new is I park each working day in a public car park, so would be more concerned owith dings compared to an older one. Depreciation will probably be pretty brutal, although looking at 2017 r' at vw dealerships, they're going for roughly 25k, so not a great deal of saving there.

Go on drive the deal, a totally standard white 5 door dsg at £30500...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 01 November 2019, 10:19 »

Go on drive the deal, a totally standard white 5 door dsg at £30500...

What’s the catch with these websites? They seem too good to be true!
19 plate cars at VW are all going for about £29k, so it makes it a no brainer to buy new.
Do I deal with the dealer direct or the third party company?
Any help appreciated!
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS