Author Topic: R v GTI PP Residuals and running costs  (Read 6279 times)

Offline b80

• Just got here
Re: R v GTI PP Residuals and running costs
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2019, 15:41 »
Yeah,  a concern with buying a 2nd hand car like this
is how it's been handled. We can check servicing, condition etc, but can never be certain it hasn't been redlined each day from cold.

That's why I've ended up putting off buying one before. Its tempting to buy one new, especially as car wow had several dealerships offering new r's (with no options) for slightly under 31k last month. GTI pp for 28.5k.

Issue with buying new is I park each working day in a public car park, so would be more concerned with dings compared to an older one. Depreciation will probably be pretty brutal, although looking at 2017 r' at vw dealerships, they're going for roughly 25k, so not a great deal of saving there.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2019, 15:51 »
Having owned both I have to agree with virtually all of the above, the only thing I will say and it is my personal opinion, the GTI especially in performance and TCR guise are by far the more exclusive nowdays!!

The R is fantastic in every single way but I cant help but think they've sold more of them than the standard SE and in the real world bar a standing start as said earlier, not really that much in it. oh and the new LSD on the GTI, really impressive, only once in pouring rain and near full launch did it tramp briefly!

I absolutely see you're dilemma between the two because I was in the same position, you're only saving grace.... honestly which ever way you go you'll end up with an amazing car!! 

Good luck
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2019, 16:29 »
Having owned both I have to agree with virtually all of the above, the only thing I will say and it is my personal opinion, the GTI especially in performance and TCR guise are by far the more exclusive nowdays!!

The R is fantastic in every single way but I cant help but think they've sold more of them than the standard SE and in the real world bar a standing start as said earlier, not really that much in it. oh and the new LSD on the GTI, really impressive, only once in pouring rain and near full launch did it tramp briefly!

I absolutely see you're dilemma between the two because I was in the same position, you're only saving grace.... honestly which ever way you go you'll end up with an amazing car!! 

Good luck

You're probably right, more R's and GTI's than SE's on AT!

I'm on my 2nd 7.5 GTI (had a 230 then my current 245) and I'm now hankering after an R next year. Opting out of company cars to buy my own and a 2017/18 R is definitely high on the list.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2019, 18:27 »
I’ve owned a Mk7 pp gti and now have an R. It took me an eternity to decide between the two when I came to change my S3. First it was the gti, then the R. If I hadn’t have previously owned the gti I would have gone for it but the R just felt like a new car to me at the time. Both cars are fantastic. The gti feels lighter but the traction in the R is something to behold. I’ll probably go back to a gti next time but I love my R and definitely made the right decision. Drive both.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2019, 20:58 »
There are some fortunate boys on here who can afford to change cars every year it seems. Both cars equally fun to drive

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2019, 21:50 »
I think king monkey has definitely given the best bit of advice, drive them!! For 2 amazing cars sharing all the same basics they really are so different to drive, the light on its feet GTI and the absolute sure footed R.

I honestly can’t see mine going anywhere any time soon but i think next time I’d have to drive the TCR and R back to back, unless they can work some real magic on that dogs dinner of a mk8 when they finally get round to the performance versions!
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline b80

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2019, 17:26 »
Thanks for your help everyone.

Test drove a few cars today. Sold on an R or S3. Actually prefer the R's looks and being better value will probably go for one of them. 

The audi chap drove for the first part of the test drive and he was hammering it, really was incredible. Buzzing for ages afterwards. Amazing how there was no wheel spin leaving junctions in wet conditions.

Offline darcygr

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 26 October 2019, 18:18 »
I purchased a 2014 PP golf last week in Northern Ireland, moved from a 2001 s3

Love how new it feels and the technology, looks, style. But Christ do I wish I stayed 4wd.  It had brand new Pirelli tyres and no matter what, it spins taking off, wet or dry, and it slides going into corners at speeds my s3 would just take off in.

I was looking at golf r’s, there’s one beside me in Dublin and only has 6k miles on it. But weighing up petrol costs, tax costs, insurance, having to service the rear diff oil, haldex, then registration tax in Ireland, unfortunately it just was a bit over budget for me at the minute. I also hear they’re not exactly 100% reliable. (Could be wrong)

If I had the choice, now, after driving my gti golf for a week. I’d stick with my old s3 or if I had to change car I’d go with a golf r or s3. Just because the Quattro is night and day to FWD.

PFA

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 October 2019, 18:29 »
When I first test drove an R a few years ago the salesman apparently thought he could impress me by doing 120mph down the motorway. I kid you not.

After owning the S3 and R, the R feels more sporty to me. The S3 was more of a motorway cruiser type car.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2019, 00:28 »
It'd be a Clubsport for me. Sure the R is impressive when hammering it from a standing start but I preferred the nimbleness and feel of the GTI so went for that.

MK7 GTI PP ~ £15k
Remap ~ £1k
Tyres ~ £400

Very capable streetcar that'll do license losing speeds in no time at all. It'll also achieve 40mpg and do the school run when you want it to.

You can buy mine off me, it gets more attention than my girlfriend  :grin: