Author Topic: R v GTI PP Residuals and running costs  (Read 6278 times)

Offline b80

• Just got here
R v GTI PP Residuals and running costs
« on: 24 October 2019, 08:41 »
Hi all,

I'm weighing up whether to go for a GTI PP or R.

I know a car isn't really an investment, but I I'm trying to factor in whether a GTI PP or R will depreciate less over the next few years.

Historically R(32's) have held better, but as there a loads of mk7's due to the arly low cost leasing, I'm wondering if it will be so pronounced this time around.

In fact, I've been browsing prices on auto trader the last few weeks and theres not a lot in the list prices.

I'm itching to get out out of my super bland civic 1.8, but may be better waiting until of year. Are there usually descents cuts over the slow xmas months?

Also, is there a lot of difference in maintenance/running costs between the GTI and R?

Thanks

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: R v GTI PP Residuals and running costs
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2019, 08:46 »
Are you talking new? Factory order?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline b80

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2019, 08:49 »
I'm looking at used.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2019, 09:00 »
Probably quite a good time to be looking between now and say 31st January as the market is superslow in buying anything, which means a lot of people quite keen to shift stuff.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2019, 09:16 »
I bought a GTi PP and ran it for nearly 2 years before the call of an R got to me, more than happy I swapped.

The R feels much more solid and planted and comfortable, much better real world performance - try pulling away fast in the wet in a GTi PP and feel the tramp, in the R it just squats and goes.

Also I was 15 seconds faster round the Bedford Autodrome in my R vs the GTi - obviously my driving style affects this but conditions were very similar so a fair like for like time.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline b80

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2019, 09:31 »
I bought a GTi PP and ran it for nearly 2 years before the call of an R got to me, more than happy I swapped.

The R feels much more solid and planted and comfortable, much better real world performance - try pulling away fast in the wet in a GTi PP and feel the tramp, in the R it just squats and goes.

Also I was 15 seconds faster round the Bedford Autodrome in my R vs the GTi - obviously my driving style affects this but conditions were very similar so a fair like for like time.

Intersting to hear from someone who's owned both.

How much more roughly does the R cost to run/maintain?

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2019, 10:26 »
Service costs the same except Haldex service at around £200 every 2 years - recommended done at an independent as VW do not remove pump and clean filter and charge more, if ignored the pump can clog up or burn out resulting in front wheel drive only.  There is a thread on the 'Dirtiest Haldex pump here

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/24283-and-the-filthiest-haldex-filter-award-goes-to/?tab=comments#comment-388396

MPG very similar for my typical drive, both will drop off quickly when driven hard.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline b80

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2019, 11:37 »
Thanks, good to know, I live near vasworks in Dorset, so I'll use them.

Did you purchase yours from franchise dealers or dealership?

What's your opinion on purchasing from vw dealers compared to the alternatives. Rightly or wrongly I perceive there being more protection/safety buying from vw, although it appears you pay an extra grand or two for the pleasure.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2019, 12:13 »
Swings and roundabouts.
An R costs more but fetches more at resale, they cost similar mounts to run but the GTI is significantly better on fuel if you’re doing lots of miles and not thrashing it.

The 7R has a cult following so in decent demand but many will have been thrashed. Buy carefully! There are lots of examples to choose from.

I’ve owned both a GTI and R and would pick the R all day long but the GTI is actually very underrated. In day to day use there’s a fag paper difference in performance if you’re not drag racing but the R engine is much more peppy.

Depending on what year you’re looking at and budget have you considered the Clubsport or TCR? These models offer the best of both worlds and feel that little bit more special.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2019, 13:07 »
Thanks, good to know, I live near vasworks in Dorset, so I'll use them.

Did you purchase yours from franchise dealers or dealership?

What's your opinion on purchasing from vw dealers compared to the alternatives. Rightly or wrongly I perceive there being more protection/safety buying from vw, although it appears you pay an extra grand or two for the pleasure.

Bought mine new from a dealer -Inchcape in Swindon as they work with discount webs sites and were offering the best discount when I bought (18%).  Very good service, car immaculately prepared. Bought a 4 year warranty and service pack at time of purchase - very good value then. Car serviced by local (Northampton) VW dealer with no issues and no faults to date other than dry door rubbers creaking - and known VW issue.

Can't comment on buying second hand but a VW dealer should offer a warranty if outside the initial 3 years, do check full service history and all usual checks, tyres/interior vs recorded miles and whether the car was owned outright as likely to better cared for than a contract. Contract cars were normally on a 2 year/variable service schedule, I would want mine to be serviced every year irrespective of mileage so check carefully.