Author Topic: GTI TCR vs R  (Read 13213 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: GTI TCR vs R
« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2019, 20:15 »

Can definitely feel the lightness in the handling, precise and assured still, but more feeling for the car around you.

It can look like I am knocking the R, but I am not, these comments are in a way a compliment to its huge capability, it does everything so well, so assured that maybe it insulates you a little from the drive? 

But less of me, what a trip you went on! and bouncing around in abandon in a beastly Hilux sounds a whole lot of fun, certainly a different backdrop to the UK as you ventured around.

Not done many miles in the TCR this week, as back to work but have a few journeys planned this weekend starting tonight to increase my feel for the car.

The R is a very capable car. There are elements that have never really drawn me to it but I can certainly see the appeal.

The standard exhaust has bedded in and I pulled in today and collected the bin from the road and was taken by the deep resonant sound the exhaust is now making. I've grown to quite like it. It is quieter in the cabin than the CSS though but that could be that I'm just used to the loss of sound deadening. I do think I'm going to add changing the tail lights on the CSS to 7.5 versions to my to do list. They do look great and having not seen the TCR in a while, it's a really good looking car.

I've driven over 10,000kms in Namibia and it's a superb country to drive and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys driving. I'm from Southern Africa so go back to the region for about a month once a year if I can. Have persuaded my wife that it would be a good idea to have our own vehicle which we ship out. Test driving a Ranger Raptor tomorrow. The specification choices are half a dozen colours and do you want some really garish decals or not!  :grin:

Have you got the hang of the settings yet? I've been running ours in custom with everything on Sport except the dampers which are on comfort. I think it works pretty well.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 21 October 2019, 12:12 »

Can definitely feel the lightness in the handling, precise and assured still, but more feeling for the car around you.

It can look like I am knocking the R, but I am not, these comments are in a way a compliment to its huge capability, it does everything so well, so assured that maybe it insulates you a little from the drive? 

But less of me, what a trip you went on! and bouncing around in abandon in a beastly Hilux sounds a whole lot of fun, certainly a different backdrop to the UK as you ventured around.

Not done many miles in the TCR this week, as back to work but have a few journeys planned this weekend starting tonight to increase my feel for the car.

The R is a very capable car. There are elements that have never really drawn me to it but I can certainly see the appeal.

The standard exhaust has bedded in and I pulled in today and collected the bin from the road and was taken by the deep resonant sound the exhaust is now making. I've grown to quite like it. It is quieter in the cabin than the CSS though but that could be that I'm just used to the loss of sound deadening. I do think I'm going to add changing the tail lights on the CSS to 7.5 versions to my to do list. They do look great and having not seen the TCR in a while, it's a really good looking car.

I've driven over 10,000kms in Namibia and it's a superb country to drive and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys driving. I'm from Southern Africa so go back to the region for about a month once a year if I can. Have persuaded my wife that it would be a good idea to have our own vehicle which we ship out. Test driving a Ranger Raptor tomorrow. The specification choices are half a dozen colours and do you want some really garish decals or not!  :grin:

Have you got the hang of the settings yet? I've been running ours in custom with everything on Sport except the dampers which are on comfort. I think it works pretty well.

Clocked 500 miles this weekend, just a circa 500 to go before start just driving it freely - Trip to Manchester delayed till next week now, but should have that 1000 done by months end still.

Had the individual set to Sport for everything and tried it between Comfort > Normal and Sport on DCC and on roads we were on which were quite good, then Normal seemed to be giving the best but could have actually been as happy in all of the settings really.

Heard the first Akrapovich 'cracks' on some overrun yesterday, as allowed the gears to stretch a little, quite a loud pop, very noticeable and smile inducing - Also has the nice deep tone of the stainless exhaust on general running and sure this experience improves as miles increase as well as when can stretch the car out properly.

Made note of this in another thread but found the MK 7.5 lift of the High Beam Assist a nice piece of tech, worked seamlessly as came home late on a dark rat run that usually on and off the high beam - The LED lights seem much brighter than the MK 7 xenon, on the high beam, the arc of light made like you travelling into bright tunnel and when a car came towards you could see the drivers side dim and no flash at all from the oncoming car.

Still sticking to feeling that the TCR feels R quick but more agile, as its just feels lighter into the turns, opposed to the rock solid on rails sweep around the bend R gave. - Its hard to put in words really but you feel the drop in weight.

Aside from that, much the same still as first review, still getting at one with it and waiting for when can push on at point presently pulling the reins in.

Bet you a happy SA beating the host in Rugby yesterday, the Springbok sheer power wearing the mobile Japanese down in the end - probably the best 4 teams in the semi with NZ unfortunately the huge favourites after the weekend performance as that was not just a win, it was a crushing! 
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2019, 22:00 »
Glad you’re enjoying, I’ve never driven another mk7 apart from a day with a GTD which I found very disappointing. Also love the TCR though. I still like the style of a well specced R. I commented to someone on Saturday that I still hadn’t seen another TCR out in the wild, five minutes later I happened to look out of the window and one drove past, also a 5 door, pure grey with reifnitz ha  :laugh:
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2019, 22:46 »
Made note of this in another thread but found the MK 7.5 lift of the High Beam Assist a nice piece of tech, worked seamlessly as came home late on a dark rat run that usually on and off the high beam - The LED lights seem much brighter than the MK 7 xenon, on the high beam, the arc of light made like you travelling into bright tunnel and when a car came towards you could see the drivers side dim and no flash at all from the oncoming car.

I know what you mean. The lights on the TCR are very good. The high beam assist works well but I don't think it was as sharp as the equivalent I had on the Macan GTS which I've always rated as the gold standard. They're probably all from the same parts bin!

Do you have sign recognition? I find it hangs on to the last sign it has seen and is frequently wrong. The Macan (only other car I've ever had with it) used to use a blend of GPS and camera to ensure it was always accurate. I've turned it off as it annoys me as to how inaccurate it is.

Still sticking to feeling that the TCR feels R quick but more agile, as its just feels lighter into the turns, opposed to the rock solid on rails sweep around the bend R gave. - Its hard to put in words really but you feel the drop in weight.

I had similar when I got the CSS, it took me a little while to build confidence in the car as I didn't feel it should be able to do what I subsequently found it to be capable of. Keep pushing and it keeps gripping. The TCR has a similar agility to the CSS although the steering isn't as direct and the exhaust is very different.

Bet you a happy SA beating the host in Rugby yesterday, the Springbok sheer power wearing the mobile Japanese down in the end - probably the best 4 teams in the semi with NZ unfortunately the huge favourites after the weekend performance as that was not just a win, it was a crushing!

I'm Zimbabwean but I have an SA passport as well as a British one and I am of Scottish ancestry so I have a choice of sides I can legitimately pick. I remember 1995 when Japan were absolutely destroyed by New Zealand (I was there for several games) and to see how they've come on is a huge credit to the team. I was in truth rooting for them on Saturday. I have huge respect for Michael Leitch and would have loved to have seen Japan score, they absolutely deserved a try. Bryan Habana did say that it was SA vs World when he was in the commentary box and he was right. I can't see New Zealand not winning this, they are formidable but when haven't they been a force? I take it you're an England supporter?
« Last Edit: 21 October 2019, 22:48 by AGB »
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2019, 09:33 »

I know what you mean. The lights on the TCR are very good. The high beam assist works well but I don't think it was as sharp as the equivalent I had on the Macan GTS which I've always rated as the gold standard. They're probably all from the same parts bin!

Do you have sign recognition? I find it hangs on to the last sign it has seen and is frequently wrong. The Macan (only other car I've ever had with it) used to use a blend of GPS and camera to ensure it was always accurate. I've turned it off as it annoys me as to how inaccurate it is.

I had similar when I got the CSS, it took me a little while to build confidence in the car as I didn't feel it should be able to do what I subsequently found it to be capable of. Keep pushing and it keeps gripping. The TCR has a similar agility to the CSS although the steering isn't as direct and the exhaust is very different.

I'm Zimbabwean but I have an SA passport as well as a British one and I am of Scottish ancestry so I have a choice of sides I can legitimately pick. I remember 1995 when Japan were absolutely destroyed by New Zealand (I was there for several games) and to see how they've come on is a huge credit to the team. I was in truth rooting for them on Saturday. I have huge respect for Michael Leitch and would have loved to have seen Japan score, they absolutely deserved a try. Bryan Habana did say that it was SA vs World when he was in the commentary box and he was right. I can't see New Zealand not winning this, they are formidable but when haven't they been a force? I take it you're an England supporter?

Noticed the same on the sign recognition. If its in a good flow of signs that even vary reasonable regularly it seems to behave fine but it seems if either condensed or more sporadic it gets a little out of synch until it sees the next clear signage - The mix of GPS would resolve that on an up to date map - I did experiment with the warning but that had to be switched off.

Think it will still be useful when off my own patch as its easy to lose track of limits - One place would put it on and maybe with the limit warning is Bournemouth and Poole, as its the Camera state down there, and may as well as been driving a Smart Car as crawled from one camera to the next.

But its a useful guide if unsure to glance to.

The R main advantage is the AWD and you really could push a bend with assurance and so be interesting to see how the VAQ on these GTI compares, as not really done that with any exuberance - There is one sweeping exit off junction 12 of M1 that did half push and it just pulled around with ease - given driving the same roads as the R there is going to be plenty of comparable experiences to come.

Yes, England Rugby fan, but sports fan in general really as like my football, cricket and NFL maybe more.

The Michael Leitch story is an amazing one, you have to admire the man, and like you said do not think anyone in the world outside of SA were not willing Japan to win, and then at least score a try their open play deserved. But SA not a top Rugby Nation for no reason and that strength and resilience eventually broke the Japan effort - Home nation doing well always adds to the event and kept interest bubbling, but its now the business end of the tournament

Out of the 4 remaining teams, 3 of them could beat 3 of the others on their day, where as the AB can beat all 4 and huge favourites after that dismantling of the Irish. England are good, arguably best of the rest, but AB will have to have drop a level and England be at best to win through - Its England's Final

Bit like you on allegiance as 1/4 Welsh as my Grandmother from Wales and my daughter is living in NZ with her Kiwi fella and so me and him are having a little bit of banter at the moment though his confidence is real, mine is more bravado  :grin:

Have seen AB live a couple of times in recent years, once when England beat them, and second when daughter and NZ boyfriend were over and we went to the AB vs Barbarians game
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 26 October 2019, 00:06 »
Herstman, apologies for jumping in, I kind of recall AGB thinking around Plaid for the dog boot basket and came across this https://www.warmsbach.de/shop/bezugsstoffe/vw-stoffe/bezugsstoff-golf-7-gti-tcr/

Have received 7 mtrs worth which has been sewn around £40.00 of JYSK cushions. £80.00 of seamstress time, total outlay I consider money well spent.
TCR 3 door

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 31 October 2019, 15:32 »
Brief update:

Completed 450 miles over last 2 days where TCR had to earn its keep.

Just like the R, the TCR turned itself into the consummate motorway cruiser with the DCC making for a comfortable ride and the engine effortlessly keeping the constant speeds - Basically crunched the miles as every MK 7 before it, effortlessly.

Took full contingent of work colleagues from office to hotel with luggage, with plenty of comments to how nice it was, but functionally it did its Golfs day to day work in usual brilliant way,

Given the engine is still in its early days, the 42 MPG averaged was pretty pleasing given you have to account for the B roads driven to access the Motorway and the crawl into Manchester Town Centre once off the Motorway. You suspect that economy will improve, and must be down to the MK 7.5 7th gear given the 290 BHP is pretty close to the MK 7 R 300 BHP - Best got in the R was 38 MPG on similar run.

Clocked 900 miles now, close to the 1000 before let the reins off some more, but now getting at one with the TCR, its definitely feels livelier and more responsive, the steering a little more sharper - Imagine this is simply down to it being FWD and lighter, but the increased engagement is seemingly not figment of the imagination as TCR keeps catching me out. 

So no real revelations, just another post that confirms when you are not picking at the performance of these cars in this sector head to head, there is only one car you really want to be driving when doing the day to day grunt which is a much a reason went into my 7th year of MK 7 series ownership 

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 31 October 2019, 15:38 »
Good to hear you are happy with the TCR as I expected at this time of the year you might be missing that AWD traction.

The TCR is on my list of potentials but not sure it's different enough as had a 7.5 GTI for nearly a year prior to my current one.

And I fancy scratching the 'R' itch... But there are also other things on my radar.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 31 October 2019, 16:19 »
Not sure if its the shorter bonnet compared to my previous m135i or the slightly lowered suspension (Reifnitz & DCC) but I find myself holding my breath going up and down sharp inclines like multi story car parks ramps etc thinking's its going to catch the front splitter...

Does the TCR give that impression over the previous golfs people have had?

At the end of the day its a golf, so wouldn't expect it to catch. Probably just me :)
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 31 October 2019, 17:20 »
Not sure if its the shorter bonnet compared to my previous m135i or the slightly lowered suspension (Reifnitz & DCC) but I find myself holding my breath going up and down sharp inclines like multi story car parks ramps etc thinking's its going to catch the front splitter...

Does the TCR give that impression over the previous golfs people have had?

At the end of the day its a golf, so wouldn't expect it to catch. Probably just me :)

Think maybe you as personally not driving any different from the R in terms of spatial awareness - was in a pretty tight NCP car park this week overnight and not till read this did give thought to might be an issue, just drove in and out without much thought to.