Author Topic: Moisture in the headlight... FIXED  (Read 16409 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Moisture in the headlight... FIXED
« on: 30 September 2019, 18:31 »
Hi all, thoughts on whether this will naturally dry out or needs a trip to the dealer?

Went unavoidably through a big flood on the passenger side yesterday and looks like it’s more than the usual bit of steaming up.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2019, 20:00 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Moisture in the headlight...
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2019, 18:47 »
If that was my car I’d leave the car ticking over for a few hours with full beams on to try and create some heat to dry it out.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2019, 18:50 »
Not a bad idea although not sure how much heat the LEDs create?

Plus don’t have anywhere at home or work that would be safe to leave the car running.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2019, 18:54 »
Looks worse than the normal bit of condensation. Does it affect the beam pattern at all?

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2019, 19:07 »
Looks worse than the normal bit of condensation. Does it affect the beam pattern at all?

Not been out at night to test that. It is very wet inside so thinking it might not just dry out.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2019, 19:26 »
Go for a long drive or sit outside in it for an hour or 2 ! Either that or go to the stealers. The main beam will build up heat over time and reduce/eliminate your problem. I’m speaking from experience. The lamps are vented and will clear up over time

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2019, 20:36 »
You could try gently heating the front, with a hair dryer, to drive the moisture out through the openings around the bulb fittings in the back. Not sure what else a dealer workshop could do, short of removing the headlamp, stripping it and then drying it with heat.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2019, 20:41 »
Go for a long drive or sit outside in it for an hour or 2 ! Either that or go to the stealers. The main beam will build up heat over time and reduce/eliminate your problem. I’m speaking from experience. The lamps are vented and will clear up over time

Experience of LED headlamps?.Halogens and Xenons kick out some heat to evaporate the moisture, LEDs are running very cool - the main reason they are so energy efficient - almost all electrical input is converted into light and not heat. You're using only 40% of the energy requirements of a halogen bulb and 60% of the Xenon bull's requirements. They only put out about 20% of the heat of halogen/Xenon - you'll be driving a hell of a lot longer to evaporate the condensed water vapour.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2019, 21:31 »

Experience of LED headlamps?.Halogens and Xenons kick out some heat to evaporate the moisture, LEDs are running very cool - the main reason they are so energy efficient - almost all electrical input is converted into light and not heat. You're using only 40% of the energy requirements of a halogen bulb and 60% of the Xenon bull's requirements. They only put out about 20% of the heat of halogen/Xenon - you'll be driving a hell of a lot longer to evaporate the condensed water vapour.

Yes Monkey,  speaking from experience. I have worked with LED technology when you were still driving around in halogens. I work with IALA who specialize in buoyage in the maritime safety industry at sea and my area of experience is in LED technology so yes I would hope I know what I am talking. LED’s encapsulated in that lens and housing will indeed create heat which will eliminate that condensation over time, certainly if the OP uses his main beam/dims all the time whilst driving until it disappears completely. I won’t get into heat specifics with you as it’s not the place to swing ones balls around the place.

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2019, 12:07 »
That does look a significant amount of moisture - been doing a lot of driving in the wet / through puddles? - I get some along the bottom of the light - which does dry out - assuming by combination of residual engine warmth and whatever heat the LEDS put out.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.