Author Topic: M135i  (Read 35531 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: M135i
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2019, 22:59 »
Really......can that possibly be the case??
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 02 October 2019, 08:42 »
RWD is wonderful in the way in which they have totally uncorrupted steering, but I appreciate oversteer rather than push understeer/torque steer is unnerving.

I did a CAT driver training course years ago in skidding, helped loads to understand what the car does and why? when it lets go. Clowns showing off with lead feet and getting all tank slapper sideways is not the way.

As for the new one. I'd be interested in trying one, but I can't see me buying one. A BMW has to drive like a BMW, that's why you buy one. It will bring in a whole new audience of non-old folk who believe AWD is king.

BMW is one of the most popular choices as  car within my company, mainly the standard versions, not performance, then say Audi and VW, and so had plenty of opportunity with colleagues to see and be driven in all sorts over the years including some of the more serious performance versions of the few like me that really like their cars, and in that group some enthusiasts who think anything other than 6 pot, RWD is trash  :grin:

My personal feeling is that I really did not like the few rear end wiggles experienced, one on a wet night that definitely had me worried where going to land.

However, I do see purity of it quite well and would be my preferred on a track also imagine, I just do not like it on normal roads and so RWD is not something personally considered - Sure there is many like me which BMW are now aiming at.

Which takes me to your comment "It will bring in a whole new audience of non-old folk who believe AWD is king." as think you totally right, and its a marketing decision in hope that the few customers they lose to ditching the RWD will be replaced by a ton of folk now looking at BMW as viable option - As I am already in the FWD/AWD camp then I would definitely be looking at the BMW next time around

The 1.35i came too late for me this time, but from all seen there would not have been enough to sway me towards it, the A35 AMG for example had me really wanting to go see it, have no feeling for the 1.35i to do the same.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 02 October 2019, 08:54 »
The 1.35i came too late for me this time, but from all seen there would not have been enough to sway me towards it, the A35 AMG for example had me really wanting to go see it, have no feeling for the 1.35i to do the same.

I agree with you - I did like the Merc very much. Right up to the point where I looked at the prices.

For me I'm looking at a Golf sized car from a German maker in mid 2020. Therefore it looked like this:

VW - I'd love one but looks like my timing is wrong.
Audi A3 - too expensive for the spec I want and the new A3 is what, late 2020?
Merc - too expensive for the spec I'd want and even the basic high powered ones are too much IMHO.
BMW - previously too small and ugly.... now it at least fixes those points, whether the price is too much remains to be seen.

My issue is that whatever I choose I am absolutely refusing to pay the extra road tax hike for a car with a RRP over £40k.

Of course there is one thing that could utterly crap on all of my quest for a German car, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how that shapes up.

I can't move any earlier on this unfortunately.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 October 2019, 09:24 »

I agree with you - I did like the Merc very much. Right up to the point where I looked at the prices.

For me I'm looking at a Golf sized car from a German maker in mid 2020. Therefore it looked like this:

Merc - too expensive for the spec I'd want and even the basic high powered ones are too much IMHO.
BMW - previously too small and ugly.... now it at least fixes those points, whether the price is too much remains to be seen.

My issue is that whatever I choose I am absolutely refusing to pay the extra road tax hike for a car with a RRP over £40k.

Of course there is one thing that could utterly crap on all of my quest for a German car, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how that shapes up.

I was open to looking at something different but as you say the Mercedes to get anywhere near the car you want pushed me to £42,000 and that was leaving somethings out, like media pack with the Apple play, surely should be a standard function!

Liked what was seeing on the new A3 to the point realised its not even being released till 2020 - Audi always cost that bit more to take the option to the VW standard fit level, still charging for folding mirrors for example!

Do think the BMW is viable, saw a review with Joe Achilles and he 6ft 4 in and he got readily into the rear which was previously shocking with that strange bulge killing the opening. - He was quite complimentary of it.

My initial feeling for the 1.35i is that have none, but that might just be down to my previous apathy and so I think I would go and see for myself in flesh if was looking to order today as it does tick all the boxes I have, my concern is more about the feeling it gives than its functional capability as 300 BHP, AWD, nice cabin etc, are all ticks - Also price is a concern as last BMW priced up started off ok, but by time I went through the exhaustive list of options the end price was off the scale

Mercedes are other way around, you have to have to choose packs but you might not want half of 2, and want half of the most expensive pack 3

Sure there will be plenty of MK 7.5 stock at really keen pricing when MK 8 rolls out, is that not an option? as could get a real bargain.

Reason stayed with the run out TCR was felt it was the best the MK 7 series could be, and with the TCR bits and bobs adding enough to make it feel new still.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 02 October 2019, 09:59 »
RWD needs an LSD, doesn't have to be an aggressive one, but it needs one.

The whole trying to manage it with the rear brakes doesn't work, leads to unpredictable slip reaction and generally gets RWD a bad name as being snappy. Mine had Drexlers, not cheap, but dealer fitted and warranty approved.

Now, your average 118 owner has pretty much no idea which wheels are driven, doesn't care and just wants a BMW. So giving them more room via a transverse engine and (you'd hope) lower costs with platform sharing the Mini - you can see why marketing a rubbing their hands together.

Merc couldn't give the smallest versions of their cars away years ago, now the A-Class is everywhere.

'18 245PP DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2019, 10:31 »
Sure there will be plenty of MK 7.5 stock at really keen pricing when MK 8 rolls out, is that not an option? as could get a real bargain.

Reason stayed with the run out TCR was felt it was the best the MK 7 series could be, and with the TCR bits and bobs adding enough to make it feel new still.

I fully agree. If come March 2020 I can still order a TCR, I probably would.... but I'm not going to be able to do that am I... and its frustrating for me.

I went around this quandary back in 2014 and bought a Golf and replaced it with another three years later without batting an eyelid. I still think that apart from not being able to get the Golf I want because of the timing of the shift to the Mk8 that the Golf still offers the best package. Obviously subject to seeing if they continue to market a GTI with the right balance of tech vs price.

No point in looking properly just yet, but will definitely visit BMW when the time comes.

I suspect though my strategy will be to either extend or purchase my current GTD to tide me over until a Mk8 GTI comes out.

BTW I am not even chasing the ultimate hot hatch here - I don't care about AWD or 400bhp. FWD and 270ish bhp would be fine.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2019, 10:47 »
Last time I had a GTI, I snapped up a late model MK5. The dealers were pretty much giving them and the Pirelli Edition away before the MK6 arrived.

Hold that nerve  :smiley:

Incidentally I got 22% off my last M135i. List price means nothing.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2019, 12:17 »

I was quoted around £30k for an A250 Auto AMG Line Premium Plus - not bad, I thought. What Merc spec were you after?

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2019, 12:17 »

It does when it comes to the next 5 years VED if you tip the list price over the £40k mark.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2019, 12:17 »
Last time I had a GTI, I snapped up a late model MK5. The dealers were pretty much giving them and the Pirelli Edition away before the MK6 arrived.

Hold that nerve  :smiley:

List price is definitely just a guide, if anyone is really serious about considering certain cars you have to get self active and get your final price quotes in front of you to compare and not dismiss based just on the configuration tool.

I am a tied to the company lease deals (which are a little strange, for example a Vauxhall GTC is way more than my TCR and some BMW are not even on there for me to option, even though know on open market I could get a good quote)