Author Topic: M135i  (Read 35537 times)

Offline Panelpin

• Not said much yet
Re: M135i
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2019, 17:51 »
I looked it yesterday , salesman was to eager to get my business , saying he could do fantastic deal if I did a deal in sept  . Show room was empty on Saturday afternoon

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2019, 08:04 »
I've never tried to buy a BMW... do the dealers themselves tend to offer discounts or do I need to find a broker?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Panelpin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2019, 08:40 »
The one I spoke to was offering great deals before we had walked across the showroom to even see the car

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2019, 09:28 »
Never looked at BMW before as having been in colleagues performance BMW over the years can state categorically that what others consider fun (the back wiggling about) is not my idea of fun - I am a pretty relaxed passenger but the times when I was not were all in performance BMW, one time in the wet was particularly convincing.

Also the last bad winter, where there was a quite a bit of snow, the cars that were mainly abandoned in our company car park were all BMW.

So as you can tell RWD has not ever been for me on a performance car, fun on a track?, massively i expect, but on a UK road you can keep them.

Imagine I am not alone and maybe why BMW have opted to go FWD and extend the AWD as standard fits on their new performance BMW like the 135i

It came too late for me to consider it, but think I would have openly gone and looked and seen what it was all about.

Initial impressions are that its not the worst to look at though think its not that pretty either, a sort of ok generic hatchback that see across the range

The interior looks good though and think its in same vein as the new MK 8 thats upcoming with the 2 screens sweeping across and creating some twin effect.

In terms of drive, the 300 BHP and AWD combination would tick my box and it would only be the ride that would want to know about, but think it would be a non issue and a chassis control option would tick that as being perfectly good also.

There should not be any new car worries really as its not like BMW have ripped up the play book, its just a reconstituted Mini Cooper Works with a BMW cabin bolted to it (know there is more to it than that, but fundamentally) and thats considered a decent option ( i looked at one, its just too blown up for me in styling, its like everything has had air line applied to it to exaggerate features)

So BMW have put themselves back into the frame for folk like me and it would be down to comparing the finer options and on face of it I feel I would likely have deferred this time around as it simply does not grab me like the A35 AMG did when went to look at - Will have a look next time around

I am quite pragmatic about most things and have no real loyalty, I would readily swap if felt something was compelling enough so testament to the old girl MK 7 for keeping me for another 3 years despite the growing choice out there in segment
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2019, 11:42 »
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/bmw-m135i---driven/41025

Not sure about those looks, as others have noted. The X2 looks better (to me). Maybe if I see one in the flesh....

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2019, 13:47 »
@ Hertsman

Everyone in Europe manages to drive BMWs and Mercs in winter, by simply being on the correct tyres. I really don't get why people in the UK think it's ok to tool around in slush on cast-iron 255 runflats.

I ran my 2 old M135is on CrossClimates in the winter months. Was unstoppable.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2019, 14:48 »
@ Hertsman

Everyone in Europe manages to drive BMWs and Mercs in winter, by simply being on the correct tyres. I really don't get why people in the UK think it's ok to tool around in slush on cast-iron 255 runflats.

I ran my 2 old M135is on CrossClimates in the winter months. Was unstoppable.

agreed, made same point myself that if ever did have to have a Beemer first thing would do is get myself a set of winter wheels/tyres - unfortunately most just soldier on, or not as case maybe  :) but totally agree with you
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2019, 16:51 »
RWD is wonderful in the way in which they have totally uncorrupted steering, but I appreciate oversteer rather than push understeer/torque steer is unnerving.

I did a CAT driver training course years ago in skidding, helped loads to understand what the car does and why? when it lets go. Clowns showing off with lead feet and getting all tank slapper sideways is not the way.

As for the new one. I'd be interested in trying one, but I can't see me buying one. A BMW has to drive like a BMW, that's why you buy one. It will bring in a whole new audience of non-old folk who believe AWD is king.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2019, 20:46 by mike roberts »
'18 245PP DSG

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2019, 18:48 »
Some interesting points on AWD v RWD. In New England I havent seen a RWD bmw or MB. Bar the 2 seater sports cars. All saloons are AWD.