Author Topic: Am I the next victim?  (Read 29024 times)

Offline MustardGTI

• Not said much yet
Re: Am I the next victim?
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2013, 11:35 »
I think if it was my car and I was planning on keeping it for a long time I would get the tensioner renewed before it fails. much cheaper in long run.

Anyone got any idea what the cost of this might be?

I'm still under 'approved used' warranty, but I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to renew it once it runs out when the car will be 5 years old.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2013, 19:24 »
Honestly speaking from experience, after mine failed. VW are full of sh!t!!

I think this is a problem and a big one TSB released in the states and TSP ( I think the UK equivalent) has been released in the UK. They don't do this for 1%

Also the same garage that fixed mine said the same thing to me "Never heard of this happening before"

Turns out another forum member had his in there 4 weeks before with the SAME fault, new engine and service was trying to tell me he had forgotten about this GTI being there! hmmm

However as soon as I PUSHED my beloved GTI onto the forecourt 6 mechanics all came out to help push and said in unison "Tensioner failed mate" all nodding. You don't get this from 1 %

And finally when the garage logged the fault code the factory in Germany offered a new engine 100% parts with not even a minute to consider it I reckon if this was a small issue they would and a full diagnosis to see WHY this has happened OR if loads have failed they know why and thus a process is in place if the engine throws that code then new engine we have heard enough...

Just my opinions of course but as I mentioned in my fix thread if you hear a rattle on start up for only a few seconds I predict 6 weeks. Trust me you know your GTI as I do and I knew when this noise appeared on start up that was never there before and after 6 weeks she never started again....

Good luck by the with yours hope it's not this and something simple & cheap but if its gone £650 is the winning repair bill............ set by myself of course :cool:
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Rossc0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2013, 02:59 »
I got mine replaced for £196, outside of warranty  :cool:

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2013, 08:21 »
Was that a full engine or just the tensioner? Anyone had any quotes for just the tensioner being replaced
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2013, 09:25 »
A couple of rough starts does sound ominous, mine did this before it failed. Like Jimmgc51 I ended up paying around £670.

As for pro-active replacement:

An Indy quoted £350 for the Tensioner and a VW Dealer wanted around £1200 because they wouldn't guarantee the work unless the chain and guides were replaced at the same time.

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2013, 12:55 »
A couple of rough starts does sound ominous, mine did this before it failed. Like Jimmgc51 I ended up paying around £670.

An Indy quoted £350 for the Tensioner and a VW Dealer wanted around £1200 because they wouldn't guarantee the work unless the chain and guides were replaced at the same time.

At £1200 you may aswell let the engine pop and get a band new engine at half the price
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Rossc0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 06 December 2013, 19:03 »
Was that a full engine or just the tensioner? Anyone had any quotes for just the tensioner being replaced

Whole lot after it went bang

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2013, 10:05 »

At £1200 you may aswell let the engine pop and get a band new engine at half the price

Good strategy, this is what I did BUT what if VW decide they no longer offer a FREE engine! Even a 50% reduction in this goodwill would push the price +£2500 I mean how much is a GTI engine anyway...

At the end of the day it's goodwill on an out of warrenty vehicle and nothing can be guarenteed in personal circumstances.

Unless it's under warrenty then don't worry about it!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 07 December 2013, 10:35 »

Good strategy, this is what I did BUT what if VW decide they no longer offer a FREE engine! Even a 50% reduction in this goodwill would push the price +£2500 I mean how much is a GTI engine anyway...

At the end of the day it's goodwill on an out of warrenty vehicle and nothing can be guarenteed in personal circumstances.

Unless it's under warrenty then don't worry about it!

Yea as always it's a risk you take do you spent £1200 just in case you got a faulty one? It could last forever so £1200 or do you not and hope and prey if it goes they will pay a big proportion of it

I did notice someone say there is 5 years 60k warranty for the power train... So could be covered under this's until then maybe

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 07 December 2013, 11:01 »
That's the American market my friend, by law or something all car makers have to offer this.

Personally I'd change the tensioner, there is a kit avail from the US and an Indy garage can fit it. No more than £500 all in here's the kit. Check out the description jumping right on the bandwagon!!

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3619

If you a bit of a dab hand yourself here is a DIY:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55992

I reckon thi may need to be a periodic update similar to the belt & pump every 4 year to ensure it's not going to fail.

I will also be seeing if any mk7 GTI's fall to this fate or has the issue finally been resolved!! Time will tell....