Author Topic: Evo review - Mk6 GTI vs Scirocco  (Read 9037 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: Evo review - Mk6 GTI vs Scirocco
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2009, 21:42 »

Excellent EVO review/comparison and, having driven both, I totally agree - You have to really wind up the Mk6 GTI to get any fun out of it - It's too grown-up and not enough 'GTI'.

:afro:

What do you have to do to get fun out of the mk5 then as the mk6 is better in every aspect and faster ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2009, 22:38 »

Excellent EVO review/comparison and, having driven both, I totally agree - You have to really wind up the Mk6 GTI to get any fun out of it - It's too grown-up and not enough 'GTI'.

What do you have to do to get fun out of the mk5 then as the mk6 is better in every aspect and faster ?

....Your definition of "better" is obviously different from mine. The Mk6 is an excellent car but the drive feel is far more detached. Read my review - It independently comes to many of the same conclusions as in this EVO article.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2009, 23:13 »

....Your definition of "better" is obviously different from mine. The Mk6 is an excellent car but the drive feel is far more detached. Read my review - It independently comes to many of the same conclusions as in this EVO article.

Strange as I have the EVO review of the car in May 09's edition and they comment

'Suddenly the predictability becomes reassurance, and the precision is exactly what you crave so that you can attack with confidence. You can throw the car into the corner really, really hard and still hit the apex. there's more grip than you might expect, so even when the car does slide you never feel like the slide is going to go on for hours, and it slides neutrally rather than extravagantly, which makes the fact you cant turn esp off less of an issue. The fun comes in carrying the speed and taking a road apart with the chassis, playing on a high-grip limit that feels tense but exploitable. From the first run I'm remembering why we rate the GTI so highly, the GTI is a fine car, more entertaining than the Scirocco'

Now, to me that sounds as far from detached as you can get, but I still try not to listen to EVO that much, they couldnt even get the basic spec of the GTI correct which is basic shool boy errors.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 31 July 2009, 23:38 »
^^^^

Yes, I agree, Kev - The Mk6 handling is very good indeed and the chassis is the same as the Mk5 (renowned), but you don't feel enough contact with what's going on. Perhaps I have been spoilt by my very modded Mk5.

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 31 July 2009, 23:56 »
^^^^

Yes, I agree, Kev - The Mk6 handling is very good indeed and the chassis is the same as the Mk5 (renowned), but you don't feel enough contact with what's going on. Perhaps I have been spoilt by my very modded Mk5.

And a very nice modded mk5 it is too.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2009, 00:14 »

Cheers, Kev :afro:

I do rather like the look of this though : -

« Last Edit: 01 August 2009, 00:20 by RedRobin »