Author Topic: 18-19's?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline jonesltd

• I live here
  • MK7 R
18-19's?
« on: 14 January 2013, 09:59 »
My mate has just brought himself a brand new golf and wants to upgrade the wheels but doesnt know if 18s or 19s are best (i say 18s) but also he doesnt want to lower the car but wants the less gap between the wheel and the arse as possible he has the same as me GTD but 61 reg.
If you cant find it......Grind it

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
Re: 18-19's?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2013, 10:05 »
Think this has been discussed on here before try the search.

Depends what you want out of you car. 19's look better and turn in and feel are improved but ride is slightly harder and you feel this over broken surfaces particularly. 18's are a good compromise over look, ride and cost. I am currently running 19's and think the benefits over 18's are worth it. But we are all different so if you mate wants 19's or 18's its his choice.

Keeping to OEM tyre sizes won't make the gap between wheel and arch smaller so will need to be lowered in this case. Putting larger tyres on will change the gearing and may affect the handling.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2013, 10:14 by Edi35 »
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2013, 10:42 »
Also have 19's on mine, having previously run 18's.   As previous post says, the ride is definitely firmer with more road feel but handling is good.  Agree that you really feel poor road surfaces, so need to consider this, if it bothers you. 

Car does look a little high if left standard and not lowered.  I haven't lowered mine but am ok with it and think that wheel arches are nicely filled.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2013, 11:30 »
If he bought the car new, why didn't he spec it with a wheel upgrade? Surely that would have been cheaper than having to buy another set of wheels and tyres?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline jonesltd

• I live here
  • MK7 R
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2013, 12:28 »
He didnt change the wheels as they were asking too much for them as they arent what VW sell - he wants 3SDM 0.05's

He is gonna go with 19s as he is used to a harsh ride lol (no comment) and will lower it eventually....next question is what coil overs. He had weitec coilovers about 200 from ebay and wondered if anything has improved since then (about 3 years ago had installed)

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2013, 13:17 »
Going for a 19" alloy over an equivalent 18" alloy will in most cases make the handling worse and accelleration times and fuel consumption worse too. by going from my oem Talladegas to aftermarket lightweight alloys i removed 5kg a corner from the car and as that is off unsprung rotating mass the benefits on accelleration are four times the weight saving - equivalent of removing 80kg from the car!! I preserved the 235 section width of the tyre, so no loss in traction either.

My advice on coil overs would always be the same.......Bilsteins.

If you can afford them Bilstein B16 PSS10's are excellent. If not B14's offer the same drop, but not the damping adjustability.

As long as you don't go silly low the suspension is very OEM like at setting 1 but like a race car on setting 10.

Mine just after the drop. There is about another 3/4" (19mm) left to go down on the coil overs too!

Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2013, 13:58 »
I suspect your advice will be lost...

Someone looking at 3SDM 0.05's (which will be stupidly wide...and no doubt wider at the rear too and sporting a handling killing low offset) and £200 coilovers = dumped in the weeds scene queen stylee...I doubt has much interest in handling.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline jonesltd

• I live here
  • MK7 R
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2013, 14:03 »
LOL that just made me chuckle! LOL!