Author Topic: 18" Tyres  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Will@carbon

• GTI forum regular
18" Tyres
« on: 07 November 2011, 09:34 »
Hi

The biggest complaint I have about my golf is the road noise, I forgot how you how you search for the smoothest Tarmac lane on the motorway. It was the same going from my 55 plate Audi a3 to my 56 plate r32.

My question is can it be reduced by fitting some Audi parts or is changing the tyres the thing or what ever.

I think the main problem is the 18" wheels or the Bridgestone tyres seam very hard but they corner ok. We went to pick the car up in Craig's gtd with 17" good year f1 and thats as quiet as you like!

Anybody changed from the bridgestones and found it better?

What tyres did you fit and did they look like sh!t on the outside edge after 3 minuets like conti sport 2s?

I'm also going to mess about with tyre presures.

Thanks.
I don't believe in global warming, sorry.
How are speed bumps legal?
I dislike lorry drivers who block lanes in traffic.
All burglars must die slowly ASAP.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: 18" Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2011, 09:45 »
The cause is the bridgestones. they are notoriously noisy!! change to something else and your problem will be solved  :cool:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2011, 10:03 »
When I bought my GT (used) the dealer had fitted a pair of nasty Mowhawks on the front. They were shocking. The noise on anything other than perfectly smooth tarmac sounded like a wheel bearing that's on the brink of falling apart. So I changed the front tyres for a pair of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx to match the original rears. Whilst these are not as bad as the Mowhawks, there is still a drone from them.

I drove my Brother-in-laws GTI the other day, which is also fitted with the same Dunlops, so I guess that's just how they are. The problem is, my Golf does so few miles, that it'll probably be 3 years until they need changing again. so I suppose I'll just have to put up with it.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Will@carbon

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2011, 10:29 »
The thing is if your going to change them in 3 years when you are selling the car you may aswell change them now and put the others back on when you sell it.

Thanks then I will order some new ones. Contie 5s or good year or michelins.

Any advise welcome.

Offline davidk

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2011, 10:57 »
Hi,

I have changed my origional Dunlops for Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's and they are much quieter would recommend these but then I havent tried the Contis or Michelins so dont know how these compare.

Cheers

Dave

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2011, 10:59 »
Goodyear or Continental. Not many or any reviews for the latter. Get the cheaper of the two.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=185782.0 - Read the first page.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2011, 11:19 »
Hi,

I have changed my origional Dunlops for Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's and they are much quieter would recommend these but then I havent tried the Contis or Michelins so dont know how these compare.

Cheers

Dave

+1 Fitted these on mine..... great tyres and road noise has not been an issue.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2011, 11:50 »
The thing is if your going to change them in 3 years when you are selling the car you may aswell change them now and put the others back on when you sell it.

I won't be selling the car in 3 years time. I like to get my monies worth out of them.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Joseph

• Not said much yet
  • www.peta.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2011, 14:35 »
Hi,

Cheers

Dave

+1 Fitted these on mine..... great tyres and road noise has not been an issue.

I have also fitted these tyres and they are excellent. They are quiet.
Mk7 gti

Offline Will@carbon

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2011, 14:48 »
Nice 1 Ive just ordered goodyears thanks for your help. I'll try to get a decabel metre on it before and after.