Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169197 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #280 on: 07 August 2019, 11:56 »
Hum... based on what looks like leaked images from a photoshoot I have mixed feelings. Liking the rear end and light clusters. Side view looks very Golf - all good so far. Now it's the front end I don't like. Slim lights with that double oval bulge reminiscent of the EOS (as Exonian pointed out). I think they've got this wrong. The Mk7 still looks way better in my view. Will reserve judgement until we see proper launch photographs. I hope they give us a glimpse of how the top end models will look at the Frankfurt launch - GTD/GTI/R
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 12:01 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #281 on: 07 August 2019, 12:43 »
It's not being launched at Frankfurt apparently. It'll be the new year as VW don't want to take anything from the ID3 launch at Frankfurt. How true this is is anyone's guess but that's what's circulating at the moment.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #282 on: 07 August 2019, 12:47 »
I’m glad I chopped in the A3 six months early and got mine in March. I knew there would be delays and potential agro around September. Crap deals, potential Brexit fallout, VW ambiguity and so forth.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #283 on: 07 August 2019, 12:53 »
It's not being launched at Frankfurt apparently. It'll be the new year as VW don't want to take anything from the ID3 launch at Frankfurt. How true this is is anyone's guess but that's what's circulating at the moment.

Heck 2020 - I’m out of touch! Makes sense for VW not to do a double launch of ID & MK8 at the same motor show. That would be marketing suicide.

However I thought customers in Germany can start ordering the Mk8 in Autumn? Have VW defo pushed this back?
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #284 on: 07 August 2019, 17:04 »
The model is obviously production ready going by the “leaked” 1970’s style photo shoot “scoops” which are of the type that get dropped into the mix before a launch to pique interest, and king monkey’s spotting of a prototype car doing the RHD final testing to see how settings and build quality feel on UK roads (I’m guessing most RHD testing would have been done in South Africa which has more extremes of temperature, road surfaces and is an easier place to hide things away from public gaze).

I’m in the camp of it being held back until next year with final reveal possibly late this year.
VW have already stated they “don’t want a launch in the Xmas run up as people have other things on their mind” which is rubbish.
It’s easier to trickle a model into production at a quieter time of year in case there are problems. Smaller scale production equals easier to fix early snags before the full scale take up.

I.D is the future bread and butter and hence taking the stage in the homeland motor show.
A full scale attempt at brainwashing a reluctant public into electric cars.
The shift has already began.

The Golf can then come in with its own fanfare at another significant show, possible timed to steal attention from a rival brand major launch(?)

Speculation!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #285 on: 07 August 2019, 17:08 »
Given that I read earlier that the Golf is the second best selling car in the UK (only a few short of the Fiesta which is the best selling car)....

I find it rather odd that we could be looking at end of the Mk7.5 production any day now and no replacement ready to roll.

Can VW really afford to not be selling their biggest seller for maybe 6 months? Not even taking orders?

It seems a bit bizarre to me.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #286 on: 07 August 2019, 17:13 »
Given that I read earlier that the Golf is the second best selling car in the UK (only a few short of the Fiesta which is the best selling car)....

I find it rather odd that we could be looking at end of the Mk7.5 production any day now and no replacement ready to roll.

Can VW really afford to not be selling their biggest seller for maybe 6 months? Not even taking orders?

It seems a bit bizarre to me.

It didn’t stop them last year with the WLTP fiasco & production shutdown for months.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #287 on: 07 August 2019, 17:15 »
It didn’t stop them last year with the WLTP fiasco & production shutdown for months.

True, but that wasn't really of their own making and they did keep selling Golfs... just not delivering them!

This time... nothing to buy? Unless they plan to market Mk7.5's and deliver Mk8's eventually? I doubt you'd get away with that under consumer law.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #288 on: 07 August 2019, 18:10 »
Maybe they’ll change the Golf tooling over in the winter lull.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline seanaodh

• Just got here
« Reply #289 on: 09 August 2019, 11:45 »
New image. Spotted on a facebook group.