Author Topic: Carbon fibre mirror caps  (Read 1718 times)

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
Carbon fibre mirror caps
« on: 17 March 2020, 21:52 »
Hi I've just put a deposit on a white mk7.5 performance GTI with sunroof and thinking of changing the standard white mirror covers to Carbon fibre/effect ones will work well with the contrast black part of the roof & tints and maybe a rear diffuser down the road. Looking on here a lot of people seem to have picked up similar items on ebay with varying degrees of success. I'd prefer to go down the route of a more reputable company that can guarantee fit & quality, which I know will cost more but usually in my experience you get what you pay for.
I have found a couple of options ;
https://www.cf-dynamics.co.uk/boca-vw-golf-7-gti-carbon-spiegelcover.html
https://www.diversionautomotive.com/products/132-volkswagen-vw-golf-mk7-7-5-genuine-carbon-fibre-wing-mirror-caps

I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions /advice on options out there

Thanks
« Last Edit: 17 March 2020, 23:16 by N14ll »
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP
Pure White, DSG, ACC, DCC, Pano roof, 19 Brescias, Rieger rear diffuser....at the moment😂

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Carbon fibre mirror caps
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2020, 22:10 »
Unless I'm misreading the advert, that first one looks like it sticks on so probably on top of the original. That would have to be mega for £180+.

The second advert sounds no better than the ebay ones, in fairness for the same price, but where it refers in the first review to the clips being fragile is exactly how the Chinese made caps are. The clips aren't as flexible as the OEM ones and if you aren't careful when fitting they can get stuck and snap. Exactly what happened to me on my first set.

Funnily enough, I have a spare set going which I don't need anymore, if you are interested let me know. If you are in or can be in the west London area I can show you. This is them on my last car:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2020, 23:20 »
Didn't think they were stick on ones but am open to correction. If yours are still available next week depending on shipping to Ireland I'd be interested for sure.

Unless I'm misreading the advert, that first one looks like it sticks on so probably on top of the original. That would have to be mega for £180+.

The second advert sounds no better than the ebay ones, in fairness for the same price, but where it refers in the first review to the clips being fragile is exactly how the Chinese made caps are. The clips aren't as flexible as the OEM ones and if you aren't careful when fitting they can get stuck and snap. Exactly what happened to me on my first set.

Funnily enough, I have a spare set going which I don't need anymore, if you are interested let me know. If you are in or can be in the west London area I can show you. This is them on my last car:

2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP
Pure White, DSG, ACC, DCC, Pano roof, 19 Brescias, Rieger rear diffuser....at the moment😂

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2020, 06:48 »
Here’s my advice.

First link - not even the right car pictured which normally spells trouble and certainly sounds like you’d end up receiving something you need to stick on yourself.
Second link - they use the word genuine when clearly they aren’t and certainly at that price they won’t be!

I’d 100% get those ones off Watts! A. You know they will actually fit (see below). B. He’s a nice guy and won’t rip you off.

Ps I bought some CF via eBay from what looked like a reputable reseller of CF products. Trying to fit them was absolutely impossible! Quality looked good but because all the non genuine ones stick a carbon overlay  over a cheap plastic copy cover then it generally makes them less flexible to fit than the OEM ones.

I end up getting genuine gloss black for around same price which pop on in a few mins.

« Last Edit: 18 March 2020, 06:56 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2020, 08:08 »
Thanks buddy. Ya Watts mirrors look the business & at least I know they will fit

Here’s my advice.

First link - not even the right car pictured which normally spells trouble and certainly sounds like you’d end up receiving something you need to stick on yourself.
Second link - they use the word genuine when clearly they aren’t and certainly at that price they won’t be!

I’d 100% get those ones off Watts! A. You know they will actually fit (see below). B. He’s a nice guy and won’t rip you off.

Ps I bought some CF via eBay from what looked like a reputable reseller of CF products. Trying to fit them was absolutely impossible! Quality looked good but because all the non genuine ones stick a carbon overlay  over a cheap plastic copy cover then it generally makes them less flexible to fit than the OEM ones.

I end up getting genuine gloss black for around same price which pop on in a few mins.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2020, 08:25 by N14ll »
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2020, 09:58 »
Thanks buddy. Ya Watts mirrors look the business & at least I know they will fit

Here’s my advice.

Cheers Jim!

OP, for ease of fitment what Jim said is right, the gloss black genuine VW parts which you can pick up for about £120-130 are perfect. Look really good too. All CF ones (even if they say genuine, they almost certainly won't be unless they are the £450 VW ones) are fiddly to fit. I had a few incidents with my car meaning a few got broken :rolleyes: (not all my fault :whistle:) so have unfortunately had a fair few goes at fitting mirror caps. The CF ones I have are no easier to fit than any other but do fit and look great on. I'm not actively selling them just yet but will get around to it at some point so just let me know when and if you are interested. I may even have a third knocking around somewhere as a spare which I could include just in case....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2020, 10:08 »

Here’s my advice.

Cheers Jim!

OP, for ease of fitment what Jim said is right, the gloss black genuine VW parts which you can pick up for about £120-130 are perfect. Look really good too. All CF ones (even if they say genuine, they almost certainly won't be unless they are the £450 VW ones) are fiddly to fit. I had a few incidents with my car meaning a few got broken :rolleyes: (not all my fault :whistle:) so have unfortunately had a fair few goes at fitting mirror caps. The CF ones I have are no easier to fit than any other but do fit and look great on. I'm not actively selling them just yet but will get around to it at some point so just let me know when and if you are interested. I may even have a third knocking around somewhere as a spare which I could include just in case....

Agreed, I think some fit better than others. The guy I bought mine from said they would fit but I was starting to damage the mirror housing so decided to get a refund as they just looked to be miles away from fitting with any degree of correctness!

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2020, 16:09 »

Second link - they use the word genuine

to be fair it says genuine carbon fibre,   :whistle:

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2020, 21:48 »
Anyone have the part number for the genuine carbon ones from VW please?