Author Topic: bens ... 1986 MKII 1.8 8v K-Jet Golf ... project  (Read 134011 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: bens ... 1986 MKII 1.8 8v K-Jet Golf ... project
« Reply #90 on: 03 October 2010, 19:02 »
floppy front end
again, since the raised ironworks saga, the front drivers side top mount keeps working loose - which isn't particularly reassuring when you're scooting around. i was going to upgrade to the mk3 top mounts - but i couldn't be bothered faffing in a scrapyard to get the other missing bits i'd need, nor could i be bothered calling the dealers. for the price of two new units, i just bought two mk2 ones - this time they are lemforder (although they are stamped "made in brazil" - so much for german OEM quality!)

this job was so quick it wasn't even funny - it took just less than 5 minutes per side :)

replacing coilover front top mounts

Tools required: 19mm swan neck spanner, 7mm allen key

yes, this is 0 spanners, any idiot could do this in less than 10 minutes a side!

1. remove the plastic top mount dust cap

2. loosen off the top mount securing bolt

3. jack up the car as high as it can go and you'll be able to push the top mount out from inside the bonnet.

4. compare new and old one, pretend the old one is faulty to justify your purchase, then take obligatory photo

5. reach up into the wheel arch and press the new top mount in

6. line up the shock piston with the hole in the top mount and gently lower the car back down. do not be tempted to position the piston with your fingers - they'll get trapped in the spring when you lower it!

7. put the washer on, nut on and tighten back up again, you obviously can't use a torque wrench, so you want to get it as tight as possible (within reason). i should have used new locking nuts (but i didn't have any), i'll fit some next week.

super simples :)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #91 on: 05 October 2010, 01:25 »
ready for testing
i'll post some pictures later, but I needed to wind back the rear caliper pistons and didn't have a winding tool to hand - so improvised and made one that worked pretty darn well! so i wound the pistons back, chocked the pistons, cracked the bleed nipples and bled the brakes. took 2 passes (and a 3rd for good measure), but i'm bubble free with a good firm peddle.

i only went round the block - so no idea if changing the rear beam bushes/front top mounts has helped anything, i'll find out tomorrow ;)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 01 December 2010, 22:54 »
its coming to an end

for sale link

Well, gutted to be posting this, but I've got a new car now ... and although I really want to keep the Golf, I simply don't think I'll be able to, insurance and storage is working out quite costly.

The Golf is stored in Manchester (as its a bit more central for viewing). I've cashed in the tax and its MOT'ed until mid-April. I've sorted storage for 2 months, then after, I'm not sure where it will be going (probably covered long term storage).

I haven't had the time yet to put together a full for-sale ad, but I'm sure for any of you that have read this project thread, its an extremely well looked after car, starts fine, runs fine, no smoke, returns 30+ mpg all day long. But, that's not to say it doesn't have its niggles - I'm happy to be overtly honest to any potential buyer! If anything, the only thing I needed to replace was the suspension - as it was getting too hard for my liking. I'll gladly change it for any buyer if they bring it along with them.

It will come with all the odds and sods I've accumulated over the years - (as well as the parts currently fitted to it). So, the bigger spares included (off the top of my head):

Set of 4x 14" P slots (vgc but tyres are mostly bald)
Set of rainbow interior (vgc, rear bench a bit tatty on the back)

I'm not really sure what its worth, but I'd guess between £1,500 - £2,500. Offers welcome, viewings recommended. I could safely say about 60% of parts on it are new, this car is far from a dog (mechanically speaking!).

Oh, and the new ride, its this ...

« Last Edit: 07 December 2010, 12:13 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here