Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245296 times)

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #910 on: 17 August 2019, 23:40 »
A few thoughts around the TCR experience after 1400 miles of mixed driving, and with a slightly different perspective to the excellent write ups from AGB as it’s my daily.

The seven speed DSG is a revelation in comparison to the six speed in my PP.  S mode engaged on the stick especially so as it no longer holds the revs to silly numbers regardless of throttle position and is now far more useful in day to day driving – sharpens everything up but when you maintain the throttle position it will change up as far as seventh.  Whether that’s the later DSG or the mapping for the TCR I know not but it does make such a difference to the driving experience.  Normal mode is fine for the commute and although it will try to get up the gears as quickly as it can there’s so much pull from low revs it really doesn’t mar the experience.

Suspension is firmer than the PP in normal mode, but pleasantly so and never jarring or uncomfortable even over the cart tracks that pass for roads in our locale.  Daft as it sounds, it seems to handle the craters better than the PP even though that was on 18”’s and also had DCC.  Once on the dual carriageway and cruising normal is excellent and comfort if anything introduces a little too much compliance and bounce.  I’ve only tried settings in sport for 20 miles or so (that Eleveden bypass again, and the next few miles of roundabouts and sweeping dual) and it makes the car properly responsive and nailed down – more suited to track use I imagine but it corners on rails and the VAQ seems even more effective with the TCR set up.

It’s a quick car, very quick indeed when given all the beans, and puts the power down incredibly well.  It is possible to induce some slight tramping if leaving the lights with a lead foot approach but otherwise the traction is superb, the P Zeros not even squeaking under hard acceleration off the line and once on the move the power just keeps on coming and to far higher revs than the PP.  There is a pleasing burble from the exhaust, and a small crack on full throttle changing up although not as obvious as the PP, plus some subdued crackles and pops on overrun from high revs, but as others have said the TCR is far too quiet I’m beginning to wonder if mine has already blown a baffle or three somewhere as it does sound far more sporty than the PP did even after 30k miles.

Overall I’m enjoying it more every day, and it is the consummate all-rounder – everything I need and nothing I don’t.  Those of you waiting on delivery will not be disappointed.

Great summary and agree! I’ve got no other mk7 history other than once driving the very disappointing gtd pool car. TCR is great, so good for covering some miles, mixing the easy quiet, comfy cruise and then some quick blast and coming from up gti, Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti, it’s way more rapid than I’m used to!
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #911 on: 17 August 2019, 23:46 »
And I’ll make it three for three working in technology (GEA).  Guess the odds of that are significantly reduced by it being a GTI forum but still feels a low probability of the combination of car choice with profession.

Share your sentiments around FB, airport security and the location and readability of the fuel / temperature gauges.  I’d prefer it if they could sit in the centre of the speedometer / rev counter.

I realised when I was in the car today that they still have the icon for the fuel tank with the indicator showing the side where the fuel cap is. I stand corrected. What I find odd is that for all the touch interfaces, haptics and everything else in modern cars with digital dash, nobody thought about providing more freedom in customisation. The new 992 911 interface is terrible - the steering wheel masks off most of the driver screens and you have to duck and dive to read all the controls either side of the rev counter. VW better but still not as good as it could be.

I deleted FB about 7 years ago and try and fly out of City no matter where I go - everyone travelling from LCY seems to have left their house before and knows that taking 5 litres of liquid is going to have you called aside. But you're right, probably low probability on GTI TCR ownership or are all the others in Teslas?  :smug:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #912 on: 19 August 2019, 09:07 »
And I’ll make it three for three working in technology (GEA).  Guess the odds of that are significantly reduced by it being a GTI forum but still feels a low probability of the combination of car choice with profession.

Share your sentiments around FB, airport security and the location and readability of the fuel / temperature gauges.  I’d prefer it if they could sit in the centre of the speedometer / rev counter.

I realised when I was in the car today that they still have the icon for the fuel tank with the indicator showing the side where the fuel cap is. I stand corrected. What I find odd is that for all the touch interfaces, haptics and everything else in modern cars with digital dash, nobody thought about providing more freedom in customisation. The new 992 911 interface is terrible - the steering wheel masks off most of the driver screens and you have to duck and dive to read all the controls either side of the rev counter. VW better but still not as good as it could be.

I deleted FB about 7 years ago and try and fly out of City no matter where I go - everyone travelling from LCY seems to have left their house before and knows that taking 5 litres of liquid is going to have you called aside. But you're right, probably low probability on GTI TCR ownership or are all the others in Teslas?  :smug:

My MD just ditched his RS4 for Tesla 3, awaiting arrival...  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #913 on: 19 August 2019, 10:59 »
Ticked off some work tasks this morning and then settled for some late breakfast and a good read through the most recent comments over the weekend and an enjoyable read it was, obviously only heightening my impatience to get into the TCR - My poor R had an Indian Summer moment where I had some renewed appreciation after that period of ownership where you take a little for granted, which peaked with a 800 mile trip around the Jurassic Coast, but thats passed, the TCR needs to hurry up now :)

It was a filthy day when AGB was out in it, as bad as any you get in winter and really good to read how capably the TCR performed as one of the sales for AWD is the wet weather performance.

Share the thoughts on the digital dials, as know work in the IT industry, and work with some very talented developers who have created some really good and useful! UI (we always stress that, pretty without functionality is pointless)

The A35 AMG looked at and played with extensively had far too much flexibility, looks and options in its UI, to the point it felt gimmicky and much of the visuals were for show than actually useful - Only had restricted use of the Golf display but looks like there was much more scope to add some more options and configurations to get a desired UI.

Was a big critic of the original MIB units, thought they were poor and let the car down, but thankfully they have improved markedly now and think they are better than most in segment.

Tyres do really make more difference than think, my front set ran to 26,500 and seemed to still have some life in them, I would have definitely ran them to changeover if not for a puncture, but having been on a new set this weekend really noticed the benefit of fresh tread and newly balanced wheels, steering was far more agile and road noise greatly reduced

Thanks again for taking the time to share experiences, absorbed with great interest and a nice break as try to get myself into the week, :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #914 on: 19 August 2019, 11:49 »

The only other difference spotted is that the LED headlights now incorporate smoked lenses to match the rear LED lights (this maybe how the TCR came anyway, just its first I noticed)

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/app/configurator/vw-gb/en/golf/30316/39627/gti-tcr/BQ19MZ-MKSUKA1-GPF3PF3-GPNDPND-GPRDPRD-GPXCPXC-GP23P23-GWD1WD1-GWW1WW1-GW8PW8P-GYOZYOZ-MTKV4F2-MCDR7RE-MAUD9WX/2020/0/F14%20J2J2/F56%20%20%20%20%2053/GPIDPID-MSSHVW0-MWSS4GW?page=summary

Quick question - where did you see about tinted headlights and rear lights as they look exactly the same as the normal GTI?  :huh:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #915 on: 19 August 2019, 12:11 »

The only other difference spotted is that the LED headlights now incorporate smoked lenses to match the rear LED lights (this maybe how the TCR came anyway, just its first I noticed)

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/app/configurator/vw-gb/en/golf/30316/39627/gti-tcr/BQ19MZ-MKSUKA1-GPF3PF3-GPNDPND-GPRDPRD-GPXCPXC-GP23P23-GWD1WD1-GWW1WW1-GW8PW8P-GYOZYOZ-MTKV4F2-MCDR7RE-MAUD9WX/2020/0/F14%20J2J2/F56%20%20%20%20%2053/GPIDPID-MSSHVW0-MWSS4GW?page=summary

Quick question - where did you see about tinted headlights and rear lights as they look exactly the same as the normal GTI?  :huh:

Its on the new price list on VW UK as a headline feature, but found it was also on the May price list, so doubt its an actual thing from real experience we get here
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #916 on: 19 August 2019, 12:55 »

My MD just ditched his RS4 for Tesla 3, awaiting arrival...  :smiley:

Interesting. Everyone I know who bought a Tesla has replaced them after 1-2 years and one went from an RS6 whose fuel consumption was worse than he imagined. He knew it wasn't him when the petrol station staff started to greet him by name.  :laugh:
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #917 on: 19 August 2019, 13:20 »

Its on the new price list on VW UK as a headline feature, but found it was also on the May price list, so doubt its an actual thing from real experience we get here

It must be a very subtle tint is all I can say!  :grin:

This is mine vs the TCR I had a look at a few months ago

NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #918 on: 19 August 2019, 17:34 »

It must be a very subtle tint is all I can say!  :grin:

This is mine vs the TCR I had a look at a few months ago

The rear lights are the same Jim hence why you can't see a difference. It's the headlights that are smoked on the TCR.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2019, 18:39 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #919 on: 19 August 2019, 18:21 »
That’ll be why they look the same!  :grin:

Can’t see the headlights look any different either to be honest. Following quite a few on Instagram and they look pretty similar to mine. Hard to tell with filters though.
NOW - 330e M Sport