Author Topic: sub and amp advice please!!!  (Read 2684 times)

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
sub and amp advice please!!!
« on: 05 December 2004, 11:16 »
hi, i used to have quite a basic amp/sub set up in my car but it all got nicked about 2 years ago and it put me off getting anything too good since.

but since going out in my golf compared to my company car i've noticed how much i miss a decent stereo esp as the golf is noisy as funk!!

basicly i want a new amp/sub package, but don't want to break the bank. i only want to get the best from as little as possible. i have some jbl components in audioscape doorpods up front and some alpine 6x9's in my parcel shelf which i'll probably change for an mdf shelf and new speakers.

i want an audiobahn sub (aw1251t) partly because they look amazing with the basket facing out and partly because i've heard good things about audiobahn stuff. now the sub is 400w rms so what amp do i need? i'd like a mono amp but these seem prety expensive so do i go for a bridged amp or a mono amp? whichever what kind of power should i be looking at to run this sub?

going for real budget, a chav shop nearby is doing a jbl amp(600 watt) 12" sub (apparently 1000 watt but probably not) and box all in for around ?180. i heard it in the shop and it was plenty loud enough but i've heard mixed things about jbls amps and subs.

at the end of the day i just want enough bass to be able to run my stereo loud enough to block out road noise and other stuff. i'd rather quality sound than just big booming bass and i'm a bit of a poser and thats why i want the audiobahn ideally!! any help would be appreciated. if it means waiting saving and spending more to get the better kit that has to be the best thing right?

thanks guys :smiley:
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline Hedfree

• Not said much yet
Re: sub and amp advice please!!!
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2004, 19:35 »
is the "chav" shop your talking about motor world?

if so i just happen to work for the bunch of loosers!

JBL stuff is ok for the money you spend on it, but if your after a good set up, you should look at Alpine V power or V12 amps, they do a great mono amp for only about ?150, which you cant really go wrong with,

sub wise i would look at the JL Audio range, i have 2 W0/12 subs which are great little subs,
the W3/10's or 12's are also good sub but a little more expensive,

as for inverting the speaker, DONT!!!!   i will sound horrible, you get no deffinition, and not a lot of bass,
as for audiobahn i have always thought the buget stuff to be, well, cr4p, and the top end range way to expensive for the quality of the product,

PPI/Directed also have a gret range out this year, if i were you and had the money i would be buying there stuff!!

hope this is of help,

stu
Mk2 2.0 8v GTI, nicely modded with original vag parts

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2004, 15:24 »
id go for a jl sub with a rockford fosgate amp :wink:

Offline bunter

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2005, 18:35 »
id go for something like a Directed Audio amp, great stuff. I have a 1200.1 running at 1 ohm which is powering all 4 of my subs and i really have no complaints about it. Also check out the Kicker range as they have some real good stuff too.

Offline stuart86

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2005, 20:52 »
i did my last install on a bit of a budget

2 x 12" vibe black air subs
alpine v12 digital display mono amp

looking for a kicker solo-barak next i reckon

Offline golf1.8t

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2005, 22:26 »
ive got a 15w3 jl audio and phoenix gold amp and you can here me coming the sub ain't that cheap but the amps you Can pick up brand new on e-bay now for only 130 thats 1200watt @2ohm the mod numb bbg A1.600D its a mono block amp very powerful highly recommended
DUBBIN FOR LIFE:

Offline stuart86

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2005, 23:48 »
i agree mono block amps are very useful wen powering subs

what is the rms output on your amp mate

i never look at total output as this is very unreliable