Author Topic: WLTP engine changes.... not great. Loss of MPI  (Read 8497 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: WLTP engine changes.... not great. Loss of MPI
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2019, 12:18 »
I've just pulled the engine cover off my March 2018 (build December 17) GTI PP and it doesn't look to be dual injection. I also have that particulate filter in the exhaust system. See here page 9 for photo

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30203-golf-r-2019-wltp-looses-mpi-dual-injection/?page=9
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2019, 12:20 »
I've just pulled the engine cover off my March 2018 (build December 17) GTI PP and it doesn't look to be dual injection. I also have that particulate filter in the exhaust system. See here page 9 for photo

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30203-golf-r-2019-wltp-looses-mpi-dual-injection/?page=9

10k mileage it runs really smooth and returns very good mpg.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2019, 12:38 »
Most of those other manufacturers offer longer warranties than VW, so less worry for the consumer - even Alfa Romeo offer 5 year warranties now. Most mace also implemented MPI as VAG did. I'm hoping that VAG have removed the tech because it's no longer required to keep coking at bay.

The MPI was never for anti-coking though was it? Wasn't it purely for particle emission control in itself?

The engine itself doesn't have to fundamentally change to give you a hybrid, just tie in with supplementary electric motors.

I think the answer to that is "it depends"

We have hybrids to supplement power at the top end, I do wonder, for the sake of economy why we haven't really had much in the way of front end electric working? Imagine a petrol engined car with only 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th gears and 1st/2nd is taken care of exclusively by electric motors for cleaner and more economical city crawling.

That would make a lot of sense actually, I wonder why nobody has done it? Complexity issues? You'd still need hybrid capability in low gears in case of no charge though.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 13:52 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2019, 13:23 »
Getting a car moving requires a lot more energy that keeping it going at a steady pace. Whilst it sounds like it would make sense, it’s would be incredibly intensive on the batteries.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2019, 16:05 »
Getting a car moving requires a lot more energy that keeping it going at a steady pace. Whilst it sounds like it would make sense, it’s would be incredibly intensive on the batteries.

All electric cars manage It. Don't forget that starting up a fuelled car is thirsty work too, even if stop-start tech has made it a little easier. Could get around being stranded with no electric power by having the petrol engine generate some electricity if needed. It does sound complicated - but all hybrids are.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2019, 12:56 »
Here's my 245 engine which I picked up this morning. The car was built late 2018. Judging by the images on VWROC there's no MPI...

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2019, 13:44 »
Here's mine, a May 2018 delivered (April 2018 build) GTI 230ps (so not performance pack) DSG. Looks to me like these still have the MPI ?

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2019, 13:18 »
Just curious what the overall consensus is on this, if for instance buying a 1-2 year old GTi or ordering a brand new one, is loss of MPI really a deal breaker?
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2019, 13:55 »
Just curious what the overall consensus is on this, if for instance buying a 1-2 year old GTi or ordering a brand new one, is loss of MPI really a deal breaker?

How much are you going to use it and for how long? I'd sooner take my chances with a new car than a secondhand one - who knows what problems you are buying - why take the risk if you don't have to?

If you are thinking resale, most people won't know the difference. Its going to make bugger all resale value drop.

Meh petrolheads storm in a teacup.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2019, 14:00 »

I suppose it depends on how long you’re planning on keeping the car and the types of journeys you undertake. Lots of information on the downsides of losing MPI in the thread over on VWROC forum at the link posted by the OP in the initial post in this thread. Long term owners, or vehicles with high mileages or that have been used predominantly for short journeys are more likely to have issues:- typically, the issues seem to be a drop off in performance and fuel economy, misfiring/poor running and the need to have the carbon build up removed periodically, which quoted by the OP of the thread on VWROC as ‘expensive’.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl