Author Topic: Black vinyl trim  (Read 57395 times)

Offline Matty_L

• Not said much yet
Re: Black vinyl trim
« Reply #50 on: 15 March 2009, 20:00 »
One of my mates is a mobile valeter and he gave me some silicone to use which lasted quite a while, but am going to re-do them with shoe polish as they did a brill job on some of my other cars ive had.

Mk3 Golf GTi 8v

Offline rodz22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #51 on: 15 March 2009, 22:42 »
ive just done my bumpers today with astonish black restorer only cost 1.50 from homebargains and its brought them up lovely and u get a massive bottle . nice result and dirt cheap !!!!!!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #52 on: 16 March 2009, 08:56 »
ive just done my bumpers today with astonish black restorer only cost 1.50 from homebargains and its brought them up lovely and u get a massive bottle . nice result and dirt cheap !!!!!!

let us know how long it lasts! :rolleyes:

Offline Bobby_t_16v

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #53 on: 16 March 2009, 10:26 »
Reading through all the rubbish of boot polish, peanut oil and linseed oil (which i used to use) will just stain your paint work when it rains. Meguiars stuff is rubbish as is autoglym.....the only decent recommendation is Black WOW.  Since i have used it ill never used anything else, the stuff might cost about £18 and it looks small, but considering i have done the trim on my car 5/6 times and not even used 1/4 of the bottle its well worth it.

http://www.DubLtake.co.uk is now live..........UK's dedicated mk3 site :)

Offline MrClifford

• Not said much yet
  • mk3 golf GTi 8v
« Reply #54 on: 20 March 2009, 01:38 »
not sure if they still sell it, but at me nans in the garage i found some back to black, but boot polish form! my grandad used to be a fanatic before he past away, so thought i'd try it out. worked wonders, put 2 layers on and it lastest for about 4 months with a clean every week! as i said dunno if they still sell it, was an old bottle the label is barely readable
coming soon ;)

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 30 March 2009, 17:30 »
Reading through all the rubbish of boot polish, peanut oil and linseed oil (which i used to use) will just stain your paint work when it rains. Meguiars stuff is rubbish as is autoglym.....the only decent recommendation is Black WOW.  Since i have used it ill never used anything else, the stuff might cost about £18 and it looks small, but considering i have done the trim on my car 5/6 times and not even used 1/4 of the bottle its well worth it.

You seriously think boot polish runs when it rains?!  :rolleyes:

Boot polish is fantastic, the polish/wax in the squeeze tubes goes on very easily thanks to the foam applicator on the top & doesn't need buffing or anything. The bumper has to be dry & clean, also it has to dry before it is water resistant else it will run if it rains! The only down side is although very black it leaves quite a dull/matt finish, but it does last & at less than £1 per tube it's cheap stuff!

I've just switched from shoe polish/wax to Chemical guys new trim gel. It's relatively inexpensive, no more than Mequiars etc & works amazingly well. You only need an amount the size of a 5p to do all the trim on a MK3, using an applicator pad it wipes on easily. If you accidently go on to your paintwork it just wipes off with a microfibre, although like boot polish it's not water resistant until it's dried.

Best of all it dries to a high gloss finish, for plastic anyway, & it lasts! Water beads just like on waxed paint! I won't be looking for anything else for a good while!

I was going to get black wow but it's had a lot of mixed results & in short was simply to expensive, to buy the same amount of black wow as you get in a an £8.99 bottle of the chemical guys gel you'd have to fork out about £86!!  :shocked:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Faded grey trim .
« Reply #56 on: 30 May 2009, 17:03 »
Today i gave the polos atrim a good going over using

and to be honest it was CR@P.

Then,  I used a different applicator.  :shocked:  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

and the results so far are  :cool:

but be warned all you OCDetailers. the applicator is shocking

:grin:

Offline PeanutButterPiece

• Not said much yet
Re: Faded grey trim .
« Reply #57 on: 30 May 2009, 17:19 »
does it dye it black, or would it be suitable for other coloured dash boards?

Offline Niro

• Not said much yet
« Reply #58 on: 02 June 2009, 10:37 »
A fix to fadded black trim especialy on bumpers is to heat up the plastic (gently) with a heat gun.

The polymers in the plasic react to the heat and bring back that new black bumper look, saves on buying these products and applying everyweek

Caution should be made and a test area done first!!!!
Cheers
NIRO
----------------------------
98 Golf mrk IV GTi 1.8 20V
94 Rover Mini 1275

Offline GTiHigh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #59 on: 02 June 2009, 19:06 »
Personally I don't have the balls to try the heat gun method.

Another suggestion is just using shoe polish....  Kiwi cream stuff works wonders and lots of people over on detailing world rave about it...  simply rub it in and buff off any excess
1999 - 1.8T ( AGU )
TB Clean
Forge 007P
Pipercross Panel Filter & Smoothed Airbox
Revo Remap - 190 bhp - 225 Torque