Author Topic: Fuel Economy GTi  (Read 9629 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Fuel Economy GTi
« on: 18 January 2019, 16:26 »
Guys,

The wife is complaining about the Golf's fuel economy, we put £40 in and it as done just 180 miles, ok her driving is stop start around town, but the computer is saying 19mpg after start and 24.5 long term, just wondered if this is right? :embarrassed:

MK7 GTi

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
Re: Fuel Economy GTi
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2019, 16:27 »
Nobody buys a GTi to watch the mpg... :smiley:

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2019, 16:31 »
Nobody buys a GTi to watch the mpg... :smiley:

I understand that but would think I should get better than this?, my brothers wife has an R and he says she gets 340 miles to a tank, we are getting like 250 :lipsrsealed:

MK7 GTi

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2019, 16:32 »
The wife is complaining about the Golf's fuel economy, just wondered if this is right? :embarrassed:
Sounds about right from a woman, get rid of her.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2019, 16:39 »
It’s a 200 odd BHP 2.0 turbo car.
Around town in stop start driving it ain’t going to be good reading.
On a run it’ll do 40 plus if you hold back, mid thirties if you drive normally and around town it’ll do low to mid twenties. The R tends to be about 5mpg worse in my experience. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2019, 16:42 »
On a run it’ll do 40 plus if you hold back, mid thirties if you drive normally and around town it’ll do low to mid twenties. The R tends to be about 5mpg worse in my experience.

TBF its 300bhp, it has stage 1 :rolleyes: :grin:

MK7 GTi

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2019, 16:46 »
My last tank was abut 250 miles. Stuck around town kills it for me. Especially with this very cold weather.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2019, 17:00 »

TBF its 300bhp, it has stage 1 :rolleyes: :grin:

Depends on which rolling road it was tested on!  :laugh:
The stage 1 cars I’ve had were actually better on fuel on a run (more flexible) but not much different around town unless using the performance a bit too much.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2019, 17:16 »
Turn on the think blue display and let her see how much her right foot needs training....

You can do it... you just need to learn not to push the pedal so hard and watch the gear suggestion indicator to always have the right gear.

There's quite a big gain to be had in driving economically.... obviously not if you are hooning, but the rest of the time.... save some cash!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ulysses31

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2019, 01:01 »

There's quite a big gain to be had in driving economically...

This. Some people's driving is awful - gunning it away from every set of lights, only to slam on the brakes 300 yards later at the next set of lights. If you're reading the road and anticipating the flow of traffic, there's seldom a need to use the brakes. Low 30s is possible in town and high 40s on the motorway.
Clarkson did a bit on Top Gear to demonstrate that driving style was far more important than choice of car.
White Golf GTI Mk7.5